Thread: Knoxville TN

mtbr member

Knoxville TN

Coming to Knoxville and looking for some local riding to do. I see the local club does a Tuesday night ride. Is this still going on? Sounds like the groups may be large, is this the case?

Any place to rent a bike locally? suggested bike shops?

Thanks
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I think Riversports outfitters rents bikes on Saturday and Sunday til 7pm at Meads Quarry/Ijams Nature Center.

They do group rides on Tuesday night there, Wednesday at Concord park

Ill be heading to Ijams to see the new trail system they just opened this week, its a 35mi loop with various secondary trails.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Tuesday nights is definately still on and if your lucky the Savory and Sweet Truck will be there when you come out of the woods (awesome food), lots of folks hanging out afterwards, really great bunch of people. On a good Tuesday there are easily over 6 or 7 groups running of various skill levels. I would recommend TVB (Tennessee Valley Bikes) they demo Kona's. They've got a website and are pretty conviently located to the "Dirty South" which is the local slang for the Meads Quarry/Ijams Nature area. I believe they have a cookout/hang out after the wednesday night rides at Concord. I can't normally make the wednesday rides so haven't been to that one.
    Assuming its not been raining I will be there next Tuesday evening, just look for an Orange Nissan Frontier, hard to miss, most groups start forming up & heading out around 6pm.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Steve I will check out the shop you recommended. Undecided if I will bring my bike or not.

What is the terrain like at the "dirty south"?
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Terrain is a little bit of everything. Lots of smooth/flowy, lots of roots/rocks, Lots of hills, some steep but 200' of gain/loss is about the max. It really depends who you hook up with as to how tough/technical. Dirty South has a little something for everyone.

mtbr member
    Sounds good. If I can get a rental I am going to try and be there tomorrow night. Was home to late to pack my Own bike up.

Thanks for the info.

Dave
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    I did make it to the Tuesday night ride. Was there a little late, but was able to get someone (Greg) to show me around. Ended the ride doing a few loops with Luke who Owns a local shop. Fun fast trails. You guys have done some great work!!

And having a food vendor onsite post ride was great...good food to boot.
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Awesome, glad you made it. Luke is a good guy, owns the Fountain City Pedaler here in town. The Sweet and Savory truck is definately a nice perk, great food and people.

Slower than mud.
    May 2012
    Mead's Quarry is a great ride, with a little something for everyone. The guys at TVB are super nice.
    "To expand your comfort zone, you have to leave it."

mtbr member
    Have been able to ride there 3 times. Fun area and super fast once you get to know it a little bit. totally different riding then back home.

the guys at TVB have been good to deal with.

Great Scene you have going on down there.
    Get out and Ride!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Are the Tuesday night rides still going? Any weekend groups? I'm headed down for vacation in Gatlinburg the end of next week. I'm trying to figure out if I should hit the dirty south area or Panther Creek to get my most bang for my buck since I'll probably only get 1 chance to ride while we're down there.

Any reason I couldn't/shouldn't ride my rigid SS 29er at either location?

Thanks,
    Rick

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Tues rides are still going but since it gets dark at 5:30 bring your lights. Several ride rigid SS. I run SS some but too old for no sus. keep an eye on the weather. Lots of clay soil that gets nasty when wet.

Let me know when you're coming connerr at bellsouth . net....I'll hook you up with a tour or if I'm not available I can find someone else.

Randy

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    check knoxville cycling on Facebook for up to date info

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks Randy. I'll shoot you an email. Any gearing recommendations?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I run 32X20 on the 29r. Some (lighter riders) run taller gears.