Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Jacksonville, worth bringing a bike?

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  robert w 
#1 ·
Is there anywhere within, say an hour of Mayport that would make bringing a bike with me while I'm there for work worthwhile. I think I know the answer, but figure it's worth checking.

I might just bring a road bike; the idea of flat ground is kind of new and interesting to me.

#4 ·
karma 33 said:
If u are at may port, Hanna park is just outside the main gat of the base. I am not sure what u are used to riding, but there is about 8 or so miles of twisty, rooty single track that is in good shape right now.
Yeah, I saw the signs for Hanna as I left the base last time, given the area I assumed it was just a campground/beach, guess not. I'm sure it's not what I'm used to riding, but I'm itching to try some new terrain.

Thanks for the info.

#5 ·
Joules said:
Yeah, I saw the signs for Hanna as I left the base last time, given the area I assumed it was just a campground/beach, guess not. I'm sure it's not what I'm used to riding, but I'm itching to try some new terrain.

Thanks for the info.
Here's a map of the Hanna trails:

http://www.coj.net/Departments/Recr...ion+Activities/Hanna+Park/Bike+Trails+Map.htm

There are basically two main loops: the north loop and the south loop. The north loop has arrows along the trail, so as long as you follow those you won't miss a section.

The south loop doesn't have arrows, so the route might not be so obvious, but it should still be fairly easy to follow. Just use your best judgment.

#6 ·
Joules said:

Thanks for the info.
Here's a map of the Hanna trails:

http://www.coj.net/Departments/Recr...ion+Activities/Hanna+Park/Bike+Trails+Map.htm

There are basically two main loops: the north loop and the south loop. The north loop has arrows along the trail, so as long as you follow those you won't miss a section.

The south loop doesn't have arrows, so the route might not be so obvious, but it should still be fairly easy to follow. Just use your best judgment.

#7 ·
As the others said Hanna is in Mayport and it's the popular spot for Jax. Ft Clinch is just a little north and it's pretty fun with slightly more elevation. It's a fun, fast ride.

If you're up for driving 60ish miles you could hit Graham Swamp in Palm Coast. It's worth the drive if you have the time.

#11 ·
I will be traveling to Jacksonville in January, and may have some time to ride due to the airline schedules. I will be at Mayport Wed afternoon when I finish working, so it looks like Hanna and Fort Clinch are close. Any preference if I have time for only one? Also, since I will be flying in - is there a bike shop close to Mayport that rents mountain bikes? If its close enough, I may be able to rent a bike and get in some riding Wednesday before dark, then another ride Thursday before I head back to the airport.
Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

#16 ·
Thanks for the input. Looks like Bicycles Etc is the closest place to rent. Depending on time I may get in some riding at Hanna on Wed. Hanna probably works for Thursday too, since I need to leave time to return the rental bike and get to the airport by mid afternoon.
ga - kush - thanks for the link - I enjoyed the write-up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.