Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 265
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reidsisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    52

    Huntsville Thread

    For all you people that live in huntsville alabama, the great rocket city, this is dedicated for us, to discus trails, bikes, demo days, and whatever else goes on. So heres for huntsville!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Creeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    149
    OK, for all those that don't know there is a weekly wednesday night ride. It starts from bikers parking lot on Monte Sano at approx. 5-5:30.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: waterdogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    502
    Figured a trail list would be a good thing (I can add to the list if you guys post something I missed... to have one list. The below are off the top of my head):
    Monte Sano State Park
    Monte Sano - AL Land Trust
    Green Mtn - AL Land Trust
    Wade Mtn - AL Land Trust
    Wheeler Wildlife Refuge - Decatur
    Hayes Preserve - Hampton Cove
    Bankhead National Forest - Wren (Pine Torch/Brushy Creek)
    Sportsman Lake - Cullman
    Hurricane Creek - Cullman

  4. #4
    re member
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,724
    Also, there is a core group of 'beat-the-heat' riders that meet up at 7:00 am every Saturday and Sunday.

    But, this Saturday, a few of us are going to Tullehoma to ride the Arnold AFB trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: waterdogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    502
    There is also Ladies Night that my wife periodically rides with SORBA HSV. Mon nights at 5:30 at the Monte Sano State Park bike trail head. She enjoys it and says it's not like riding with a bunch of agressive guys that leave you behind. Any ladies out there, don't be afraid.... PM me if any of those lady members want to get in touch with my wife for any info.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: waterdogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    502
    Is there anyone in the HSV area that has interest in/rides DH? Any gravity junky dual crowners out there?

  7. #7
    re member
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,724
    You need to check out Windrock, Tennessee.

    Doug (AL29'er) and I are both wanting to road trip there some time. The only caveat, you have to provide for your own shuttle service, as there is none available there.

    EDIT: link
    http://www.sicklines.com/courses/tennessee/windrock/
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: waterdogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker
    The only caveat, you have to provide for your own shuttle service, as there is none available there.
    I am surprised you didn't mention it on Sun. BTW, that's what Heither does for me, drop and pick me up. She has no interest in going fast DH, she's content with XC. I am going to keep working on her, maybe she'll take it up in due time.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reidsisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    52
    i love DH, whats the best DH trail around HSV?

  10. #10
    Granny Gear Guru
    Reputation: jdreher55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker
    Also, there is a core group of 'beat-the-heat' riders that meet up at 7:00 am every Saturday and Sunday.

    But, this Saturday, a few of us are going to Tullehoma to ride the Arnold AFB trail.

    Now this is what I'm talking about, beat the heat and let someone else clear the spider webs with their face!!! Do they do this on Monte Sano?
    10 Specialized Hardrock
    Looking for a new bike...... selling one?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reidsisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    52
    check this out

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbSXt...layer_embedded

    bump n grind race 2010

  12. #12
    re member
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by jdreher55
    Now this is what I'm talking about, beat the heat and let someone else clear the spider webs with their face!!! Do they do this on Monte Sano?
    Yes, Monte Sano.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: waterdogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by reidsisk
    i love DH, whats the best DH trail around HSV?
    Not sure, I am on a mission to find out. Creeper had a good suggestion on Green Mtn, but haven't checked it out yet. I did Bluff Line from Monte Sano Blvd down to the Land Trust Parking lot. It was good from the top to about 1/2 way down until it intersection of Anndale and Wagon. Pretty technical and lots of large rocks. One rock in particular got the best of me. I wouldn't suggest it unless you have the correct equipment/protection.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reidsisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdogs
    Not sure, I am on a mission to find out. Creeper had a good suggestion on Green Mtn, but haven't checked it out yet. I did Bluff Line from Monte Sano Blvd down to the Land Trust Parking lot. It was good from the top to about 1/2 way down until it intersection of Anndale and Wagon. Pretty technical and lots of large rocks. One rock in particular got the best of me. I wouldn't suggest it unless you have the correct equipment/protection.

    alright, does anyone meet during the week for DH rides?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: waterdogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    502
    For the past few weeks, I have been taking both bikes with me as my wife rides with XC only. After an hour or two of XC, I usually pull out the other bike and have my wife drop me off somewhere and pick me up. So I end the day with a short DH ride.

    Also, I have every other Friday off. This Friday, I was either thinking of going to Wade Mtn and doing Devil's Race Track down or scouting out something new, ie. the other side of Wade Mtn or Belvin's Gap on Green Mtn.

    Typically I have to hike a bike up, as the DH rig only has one crank chain ring and isn't much of a climbing bike. (I don't have the legs I used to).

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reidsisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdogs
    For the past few weeks, I have been taking both bikes with me as my wife rides with XC only. After an hour or two of XC, I usually pull out the other bike and have my wife drop me off somewhere and pick me up. So I end the day with a short DH ride.

    Also, I have every other Friday off. This Friday, I was either thinking of going to Wade Mtn and doing Devil's Race Track down or scouting out something new, ie. the other side of Wade Mtn or Belvin's Gap on Green Mtn.

    Typically I have to hike a bike up, as the DH rig only has one crank chain ring and isn't much of a climbing bike. (I don't have the legs I used to).
    alright

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: waterdogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    502
    One of you guys were looking for Land Trust Trail Maps. Download the pdfs here (the jpgs are too low res): http://landtrust-hsv.org/trail-maps/

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: waterdogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker
    You need to check out Windrock, Tennessee.

    Doug (AL29'er) and I are both wanting to road trip there some time. The only caveat, you have to provide for your own shuttle service, as there is none available there.
    Pics look good, techy stuff (I'll be honest, major air scares me for some reason). Let me know should you guys want to go. If you can take your truck, my wife and drop us off and pick us up. I can't fit that many bikes on the E.

  19. #19
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeper
    OK, for all those that don't know there is a weekly wednesday night ride. It starts from bikers parking lot on Monte Sano at approx. 5-5:30.
    Sometimes we move it over to Wade Mtn
    Nothing to see here.

  20. #20
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdogs
    It was good from the top to about 1/2 way down until it intersection of Anndale and Wagon. Pretty technical and lots of large rocks. One rock in particular got the best of me. I wouldn't suggest it unless you have the correct equipment/protection.
    For sure...get a 29'r before you try it again!
    Nothing to see here.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: waterdogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    For sure...get a 29'r before you try it again!
    It wouldn't have mattered, it was too big. Just a function of a poor choice of line. There aren't a lot of choices in 29 DH bikes, not yet at least.

    I will not be beaten. I'll be back on the same trail soon enough.
    Last edited by waterdogs; 07-21-2010 at 04:54 PM.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

  22. #22
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdogs
    It wouldn't have mattered, it was too big. Just a function of a poor choice of line. There are a lot of choices in 29 DH bikes, not yet at least.

    I will not be beaten. I'll be back on the same trail soon enough.
    We used that route and a lot more for the 2009 festival Rock-n-Roll ride. Narritive is attached. The map is too big to attach. If you want it you can PM me your email.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Nothing to see here.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: waterdogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    502
    That's a hell of a route. Too much for my legs. Climbing Toll Gate/Rocking Road would be interesting.... I've just flown down it and beat the crap out of my arms. Also I don't think I'll ever be able to climb Sinks in one shot either.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

  24. #24
    Granny Gear Guru
    Reputation: jdreher55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdogs
    That's a hell of a route. Too much for my legs. Climbing Toll Gate/Rocking Road would be interesting.... I've just flown down it and beat the crap out of my arms. Also I don't think I'll ever be able to climb Sinks in one shot either.
    Can anyone climb sinks? They must be monsters! I make it passed Mtn Mist and to the first switchback and i'm done. I can't imagine riding the whole way up.
    10 Specialized Hardrock
    Looking for a new bike...... selling one?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reidsisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by jdreher55
    Can anyone climb sinks? They must be monsters! I make it passed Mtn Mist and to the first switchback and i'm done. I can't imagine riding the whole way up.

    i tried it the other day, i got halfway and i had a leg cramp...

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •