Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Huntsville AL Haze

Hi everybody

Was up in Huntsville for an interview last friday, currently reside in Melbourne FL. Loved the area, as I care less about the beach and more about hills, etc...but the haze up there really threw me. Can any locals tells me, is that a pollution thing, or just a summer thing, or what? I ended up going up to Monte Sano and doing some hiking, in my interview clothes, no less b/c I hadn't bothered to pack any hiking clothes and didn't bring a bike or bother finding a shop to rent one.

Just looking to get some inside scoop on biking/hiking in the area and the weather.
    Thanks.
    Rich
    Lost Hares H3 Brevard County FL - http://losthares.bikehash.com/

Granny Gear Guru
    If you have any problems with allergies (I DO) I would either stock up on some allergy meds or go somewhere else. It's hot here, I lived in Naples, FL for a little while and yes the temp was higher there the breeze made up for it so I'd say it's a bit hotter here. It could be my imagination. I doubt the haze was from pollution though, i'm sure it has something to do with the valley and all of that pollen floating around ruining my fun.
    10 Specialized Hardrock
    Looking for a new bike...... selling one?

mtbr member
    ya, the breeze down here ocean side definitely makes up for the hot, and blows away any haze. I don't really have any allergies that are that bad, but the flatness and swamp down here just ruin my day.
    Rich

Granny Gear Guru
    if that is the case you should really enjoy it here. Lot's of good riding, I've heard Monte Sano is near best in Alabama, I can't confirm that b/c I've only ridden in 2 areas of the state but it's pretty good.
    10 Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member

it is hot

im here in bham and some of the best trails in the area are imo, oak mountain and a little place called trussville.
    the humidity is what makes it look and feel so smoggy, just fill your camelback up and go.

mtbr member
    ya for sure. we do 15-20 bike hash rides in the summer down here and you HAVE to have that camelbak filled up. a lot of times we have to do halfways with water stops. course, it's not that hilly, just flat, sugar sand and palmetto tree roots. good times tho. I've got my cbak mod'd to hold 170 oz. 70oz for the original that came with the pack, and then I've got a hole in the extra gear compartment to feed the line from the 100oz reservoir out and through the original feed hole from the back of the pack.
    Rich

Granny Gear Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by pyledriver
    im here in bham and some of the best trails in the area are imo, oak mountain and a little place called trussville.
    the humidity is what makes it look and feel so smoggy, just fill your camelback up and go.
    what is trussville like? I can't seem to find much info on that and I'll be making a trip back down to oak mountain soon but want to check trussville out if it's worth it.
    10 Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    I am pretty much a lifetime Huntsville resident and I dont really think you have to worry about much pollution. Sometimes it's a little hazy but i think its just humidity LOL

And yes, Monte Sano is the best in AL if you are into tech.

29 some of the time...
    Yep, humidity. Huntsville is pretty good on the pollution side of things. Check citidata forums for more info on the relocation side. But humidity was in the 60-80% range most of last week which made it hazy.

Honestly we are just heading towards my favorite time of year to ride here. As summer fades the temps drop, foliage dies back, and the trails get dried out. We have had a pretty wet year so far, hopefully it will lead to a drier fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    huh. ok, I'll buy the humidiity, it's just so different from what I'm used to down here. It's humid every day here, but we don't have the haze. prolly b/c we have the ocean breeze. we do get the afternoon showers everyday in summer b/c of the build up tho. thanks for the info everybody.
    Rich

re member
    You sure you weren't hangin' out with the DH groms?

That can lead to everything looking a little hazy....
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    heh heh, nope, straight up engineering types.
    Rich

mtbr member
    If you don't have allergies now, you will develop them when you move here. We lived in Michigan for 10 years with out any allergy problems, then moving here three years ago... BAM, Feb/Mar get real bad.

BTW, moved from Rockledge to Michigan when I was 25. Born and raised a Floridian just a few minutes north of you.

I'd rather be riding!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdreher55
    what is trussville like? I can't seem to find much info on that and I'll be making a trip back down to oak mountain soon but want to check trussville out if it's worth it.
    Trussville has a 5 mile loop that circumnavigates the community sports park. The trail will work you hard. Lots of ups and downs and twists and turns are thrown at you continuously throughout the loop, so there is not much time for rest. 95% of the trail is tight singletrack. There are several rock gardens and lots of logs to hop. I feel like 2 loops around T'ville at 10 miles gives me as good of a workout as riding the 18 mile loop at Oak Mountain, but hey, thats just my opinion. Ride it both CW and CCW. CW is normal race direction. Definitely worth the time to check it out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I am moving to the Anniston area in a few weeks from the southwest, do you guys typically ride in the morning? Does the temperature drop quite a bit at night or does it not really make a difference with the humidity? I was just wondering what most people do out there in the summer for riding,
    thanks

mtbr member
    It's been un-seasonally hot here for the past month or so, as it has everywhere in the east and northeast. Depends on your tolerance. I am a sweating fool and tend to overheat pretty quick for some reason. I am at the trails usually by 0700 and done by 1000, but that's just me. Riding in the cooler months rocks (IMO).

mtbr member
    anyone ride at landtrust in huntsville?

mtbr member
    On Monte Sano, Wade Mountain, or in Jones Valley. Yes, but those trails are frequently used by hikers, so keep your eye out. I will likely do Bluff Line on Sano tomorrow morning.

Why do you ask? Questions? Concerns?

mtbr member
    thanks, i was just wondering about places to ride, im new at mountain biking and im just trying to get some recommendations about places to ride, some friends of mine ride some at landtrust but they never say where.

Granny Gear Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by reidsisk
    thanks, i was just wondering about places to ride, im new at mountain biking and im just trying to get some recommendations about places to ride, some friends of mine ride some at landtrust but they never say where.
    I would check out Wade Mountain Preserve as well, it's pretty good! Bluff line is pretty decent in the land trust. I have yet to put a good 2+ hour ride together with out riding the same trail twice. I know it's possible I just need to look closer at a map. Anyway, the land trust is pretty good, I hope you like rocks
    10 Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    I would check out Wade Mountain Preserve as well, it's pretty good! Bluff line is pretty decent in the land trust. I have yet to put a good 2+ hour ride together with out riding the same trail twice. I know it's possible I just need to look closer at a map. Anyway, the land trust is pretty good, I hope you like rocks
    Thanks, i do have a hard tail but i think that makes it more fun

mtbr member

Granny Gear Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by reidsisk
    Yeah I have a HT as well, you would probably like wade mountain. Anywhere around here i've found to be ridiculously rocky. I went to Oak Mountain near Birmingham a few weeks ago, that was well worth the drive. Nice and smooooooooooth. I'll be hitting Raccoon mountain in the next few weeks and have heard that is just as good.
    10 Specialized Hardrock

mtbr member
    If you can swing by the Visitor's Center in D-town HSV or even the airport, there a free brochures you can pick up. One of those is the Land Trust Properties. There are three areas "owned/operated" by the LT, Wade Mountain, LT on Monte Sano, and Jones Valley off of Cecil Ashburn. That brochure has maps of each of the areas.

The most popular is Monte Sano. Get on 72/Pratt/Bankhead Pkwy and head west going up the mountain. Just after the Toll Gate Road intersection (Apts on the corner), the Land Trust parking lot is on the right. That trail head accesses all of the trails for the Trust. They are all pretty much very rocky.

If you want to do Bluff Line, I'd suggest you go to the parking lot on the South end of Monte Sano Blvd and start there.... it's down hill. You'll need a shuttle of course (that's what wives are for).

If rocks aren't your thing, go to the top of the Mountain to the State Park. They are better suited for biking.

Finally, the yocals here on the forum meet up on the Monte Sano pretty much every weekend on Sat/Sun at 0700 to ride. We'll be there tomorrow, but we have a friend coming, so we prob won't ride with the group. (We like to try to get others interested).

Probably telling you stuff you already know..... just trying to help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdogs
    If you can swing by the Visitor's Center in D-town HSV or even the airport, there a free brochures you can pick up. One of those is the Land Trust Properties. There are three areas "owned/operated" by the LT, Wade Mountain, LT on Monte Sano, and Jones Valley off of Cecil Ashburn. That brochure has maps of each of the areas.

The most popular is Monte Sano. Get on 72/Pratt/Bankhead Pkwy and head west going up the mountain. Just after the Toll Gate Road intersection (Apts on the corner), the Land Trust parking lot is on the right. That trail head accesses all of the trails for the Trust. They are all pretty much very rocky.

If you want to do Bluff Line, I'd suggest you go to the parking lot on the South end of Monte Sano Blvd and start there.... it's down hill. You'll need a shuttle of course (that's what wives are for).

If rocks aren't your thing, go to the top of the Mountain to the State Park. They are better suited for biking.

Finally, the yocals here on the forum meet up on the Monte Sano pretty much every weekend on Sat/Sun at 0700 to ride. We'll be there tomorrow, but we have a friend coming, so we prob won't ride with the group. (We like to try to get others interested).

Probably telling you stuff you already know..... just trying to help.
    Thanks, i appreciate it waterdogs, it should help

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast