Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hudson fl

mtbr member

hudson fl

any fun places to ride around hudson fla?
    thanks

I hate that name.
    Sorry, no. At least a couple hour drive to get to any real trails.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    That's not true. Check out some area trails here-

SWAMP - Florida Mountain Bike Trails

I would also check out Santos in Ocala

Trailhead Locations

I don't think any of these would be more than a couple of hours away, with Croom and Flatwoods being much closer.

I hate that name.
    You do know where Hudson is, yes? Alafia, Balm Boyette, and Carter are going to be 2+ hours away. You might make Santos in under 2 if you drive real fast. Croom and Flatwoods don't apply to the op's question because they aren't all that much fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm guessing it is here: 28.3642 N, 82.6936 W

According to Google he can make the drive in under 2 hrs to Alafia which is just slightly further away from Hudson than Boyette. Obviously this depends on traffic and where in Hudson he would be coming from.

72.2 mi, 1 hour 36 mins
    In current traffic: 1 hour 40 mins
    I-75 S

I also wouldn't think it is a bike shop employees place to speak poorly of a trail system that many people enjoy just because you do not. Your goal should be to get as many people out riding as possible, not bash where somebody rides.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ride drunken monkey and the pits at croom and tell me they are'nt fun. Croom has something for every rider, 50 miles of single track thru a national forest with some hard options in the pits area that rival any of the technical trails in the FLA.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    croom will make you "strong like bull"

mtbr member
    Croom is a great place to ride. Flatwoods can also be great fun with a fast group of riders.
    Signature

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    FLORIDA doesnt have any good trails! LOL!

I hate that name.
    I quit going to Croom years ago because for the amount of driving required, I could go someplace I actually enjoyed. I ride Flatwoods at least once a week (thrice if you add in the road riding days) because it is convenient for me. I didn't say those trails sucked, I said I didn't consider them "fun" (actually FW can be fun if you go really fast, but I'm guessing the average trail rider isn't hitting a 14 avg), so when answering a question like the op's, they don't even enter into my consciousness. And just because I work in a bike shop, I'm not allowed to voice my opinion on trails? I guess I shouldn't mention that I rarely go to Alafia these days because the erosion and weekend crowds make the trail borderline unenjoyable.

I hate that name.
    Oh, and about the driving times, I'll trust personal experience over Google maps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If you cant find fun trails at croom, you aren't looking very hard. Your opinions have been suspect in the past, so we will take this one with a grain of salt as well.

I hate that name.
    Well, it is the internet, so you really should take everything you read with a grain of salt. Just out of curiosity, which of my past opinions do you disagree with?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Stay away from croom...........its un fun and dangerous

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    Well, it is the internet, so you really should take everything you read with a grain of salt. Just out of curiosity, which of my past opinions do you disagree with?
    Hey Blunderbuss, I have an Idea.. Instead of giving a short, stupid answer that doesn't really help anyone, why not point him in the direction so he can find some trails. this site is a good one - Mountain Bike Trails || SINGLETRACKS.COM as well as The Swamp site. People like you are the reason I don't hang out on MTBR very often..

mtbr member
    http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide...ike_trails.htm
    http://omba.org/

Here's a couple of good sites for the Ocala area and Santos

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5gidpf
    Current Ride:2012 BAMF Full Nelson

I hate that name.
    Dude. Op's seniority date is 2008, so he's clearly not a newb. He asked about fun places to ride around Hudson. Hudson is pretty far from Tampa and the SWAMP trails. So the short answer really is that there aren't any. I guess everybody but myself considers over an hour away to be "around".

Darrin, you know me.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure if 1hr 25min is to far but.... OMBA makes great trails

292'17.88N,8217'45.60W - Google Maps

Ross Prairie Trailhead
    Current Ride:2012 BAMF Full Nelson

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by darrinw2001 View Post
    Time to hit croom up to update the videos with the new cams:

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    O.K. so I think we can all agree Croom has something for every rider and should be inside of an hour for you LL, straight across Hwy 50.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    Dude. Op's seniority date is 2008, so he's clearly not a newb. He asked about fun places to ride around Hudson. Hudson is pretty far from Tampa and the SWAMP trails. So the short answer really is that there aren't any. I guess everybody but myself considers over an hour away to be "around".

Darrin, you know me.
    To say Croom is not fun is not true.. there are sections that can be a little boring, but if you park at Parking lot 1 and head north into all the trails with names, it is one of the most fun places to ride in Florida.. And there are a few bail-outs you can hit just in case you dont have fun... and you can always just ride up nobleton road and drop in at the 4 mile bail-out to avoid the less tech stuff if you please. So, try this, drop in at the 4 mile bail out and drop out at the 14 mile bail out.. Super fun 10 miles

I hate that name.
    Alright, you guys convinced me. I'm going to hit Croom sometime soon and see if it's like I remember.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just saying you cant judge a trail system on just one part or certain trails. If all you rode at Boyette was SST and the Quad's and said the whole systems stinks because of that you would be wrong. If you judged Alafia just off of River Loop and Sand Pine, same thing. I find fun in all trail systems , yes even at Wilderness parks/Flatwoods...

And if you havent been out to the new trail Ern and Burn at Santos/Greenway, you are missing out on lots of fun!

mtbr member
    thanks guys
    i'll check out croom and let you know my thoughts
    LL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast