mtbr member

Hilton Head Area Riding

I will be in Hilton Head, SC at the end of May on a family vacation with my wife's family. Are there any mtb trails, dirt jumps, skateparks, anything close by? and if so, any where to rent a decent bike?

Thanks for any input.

paintbucket
    I think you're SOL. My advice is to drink heavily and enjoy the beach.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by heckler_asx
    I will be in Hilton Head, SC at the end of May on a family vacation with my wife's family. Are there any mtb trails, dirt jumps, skateparks, anything close by? and if so, any where to rent a decent bike?

Thanks for any input.
    Yeah theres not much Mtb'ing in HH...beach cruiser rentals a plenty...nice paved path that goes around the beach area. there is a wilderness / wildlife area that you can ride , but there's only about a mile and a half of trail...pretty lame. theres a good 8+ miles loop near Savannah, take 95 to Hwy 80 left and about 2-3 miles on the Right is Tom Tripplett Park.. nice tight twisty single track. rooty and sometimes swampy...lotta people hate it...i dig it. its about a 40min drive from HH.... or you could head to Beaufort. Hunting island used to have a nice little trail system...heard there has been some work...haven't been in a couple of years. it to is a little drive from HH. hope this helps

mtbr member
    Plenty of bike paths everywhere for some scenic/recreational riding, but I think you are out of luck when it comes to finding decent singletrack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    There is ??pickney island park?? across 278 from the boat landing. its fair but senic coastal wet lands. be careful if you decide to go, traffic can be bad leaving the island around dinner time. TAKE BUG SPRAY. OH YEA I ALMOST FORGOT TO MENTION TAKE BUG SPRAY.

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    there's a decent and free outdoor skate park on the island. Bristol sports arena on the link map...took my son while on vacation last month, he had a blast.

http://www.hiltonheadislandsc.gov/Maps/parksmap.pdf
    the time is right for violent revolution

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input!

Is there anywhere to rent a decent mountain bike in the area?

Two wheels are best
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    Hunting island used to have a nice little trail system...heard there has been some work...haven't been in a couple of years. it to is a little drive from HH. hope this helps
    A friend of mine likes to go camp/ride on Hunting Island. He told me there is a man who's local and has been working on cleaning up a "fogotten" trail that runs length-wise trough the middle of the Island.

It's supposed to be some nice riding...though there isn't a lot of elevation change.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.