Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Help form the N Georgia, Tenn, NC riders

Hey all, my friends and I want to plan an epic trip this October. We are looking for some nice camping, that is close to some fun trails. We may rent a cabin or use tents, doesnt really matter. I was looking at the N Georgia stuff and that looks good, but thought a little advice from the locals would be good. So, Georgia, NC, Tennessee, or anyplace I am missing?

Anyplace within a ten to twelve hour drive from Tampa is fine. Keep in mind, we are Florida riders, so nothing to extreme. Thanks

mtbr member
    What are we forming exactly?

If you are looking for places to ride, that's a big area to cover. There's a ton of awesome stuff.
    GregRidesTrails.com--An informational and instructional mountain bike blog.

mtbr member
    I'd vote for Tanasi and Chilhowee Trail Systemss on the Ocoee River (SE Tennesee). Camping (@ Thunderrock), Biking, Rafting, Kayaking, Swimming and people watching at the White Water Center (where they held the '96 Olympics)...... I love that area. Cleveland's not far away to sleep and eat if you get your fill of the outdoors.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

Go make a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdogs
    I'd vote for Tanasi and Chilhowee Trail Systemss on the Ocoee River (SE Tennesee). Camping (@ Thunderrock), Biking, Rafting, Kayaking, Swimming and people watching at the White Water Center (where they held the '96 Olympics)...... I love that area. Cleveland's not far away to sleep and eat if you get your fill of the outdoors.
    I'll second this but instead of camping, for the same money you can stay at Eagle Ranch in a bunkhouse (sleeps 6-8, not 20). For another $20 / day, they'll provide (2) meals. Hot showers, wifi, campfire areas, etc. 3 miles east of Ducktown, 10 min from the Tanasi trails.

I have partnered with them for mountain biking stuff because they're good people and have a good product. I'm headed there this weekend to recon a riding route to tie them into the Tanasi trails for a truly epic day.

If you want to see the best of what we have to offer in the Southern Appalachians, I'd be glad to show you around. I can tailor each day's riding to your desires and expectations. Check out my site for Atlanta Outfitters. Rates are reasonable and I can save you the time and worry of wondering if you're lost, getting turned around finding trailheads, etc.

Hope to hear from you!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

Addicted to Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by floridalawdog
    Keep in mind, we are Florida riders, so nothing to extreme. Thanks

Anyway... Go to Pisgah. Buy this map: http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/c...oduct/796.html

Go crazy for a week, you're welcome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks guys. That sounds great, now I have an idea on how to plan out this vacation. Thanks again

mtbr member
    If you're in Tn, and in the Chattanooga area, check out Raccoon Mtn. 20+ miles of sweet singletrack. Other Tn trails mentioned that you shouldn't miss out on are Tanasi and Chilohowee near the Ocoee River (close to Cleveland, TN).

After that, make your way over to NC. Hit up Tsali, which is only an hour and some change away from the Tanasi trails. Camp there that night, then head over to Pisgah for the remainder of your trip.

I just did a tour of Dupont State Forest near Brevard, NC. You could honestly stay here your entire time and not ride the same trails twice. BEE-UTIFUL area.

Many guidebooks out. If you need anymore help, feel free to PM me. I'd be glad to give you more advice.

Cheers,
    Stephen

Go make a difference
    If you're coming up over Halloween, stay tuned this week for an event I'm planning at the Ocoee. Location will be at a large rafting outfit and we'll do rides, rafting on the Ocoee, night rides, bonfires, etc. Info will be posted on Atlanta Outfitters site, Facebook page, and on the Southeast forum later this week.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    My vote would be:
    1. Pisgah / Dupont
    2. Ocoee / Tanasi / Chilhowie / Raccoon Mountain
    3. Damascus, VA ~ Iron Mountain
    4. North Georgia - Mulberry Gap http://www.mulberrygap.com/

mtbr member
    My wife and I are planning the same basic trip, leaving around the 15th of sept. from miami for a about 14 days and this is good info. the only other thing I would like to know is where are the best places to shutle for dh rides.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterPanic
    My vote would be:
    1. Pisgah / Dupont
    2. Ocoee / Tanasi / Chilhowie / Raccoon Mountain
    3. Damascus, VA ~ Iron Mountain
    4. North Georgia - Mulberry Gap http://www.mulberrygap.com/
    Op said nothing too extreme - that means no Pisgah

mtbr member
    He might not want extreme but I do, just don't like riding uphill.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seadawg
    He might not want extreme but I do, just don't like riding uphill.
    You can buy a map but it won't tell you which way to ride the trails in Pisgah. The Ranger District of Pisgah National forrest near Brevard,NC. has some of the best single track around, but you can get lost and/or ride trails backwards and get a bad taste of Pisgah. You'll have to do some homework or catch a group ride or get a guide. I ride 3 or 4 times a week in Pisgah and its very technical - big climbs and narly downhills. I did a loop involving Pilotrock trail with 16 riders Sunday and I was one of two that didn't crash multiple times, funny with so many bleeding and a couple of broke bikes everyone was grinning .....There are a few shuttle runs but locals don't devulge them often, there's more XC riders than downhillers in this area.

Dupont has a turn every 200yrds and more(Fireroad) than singletrack, it took me at least 10 times before I could navigate around Dupont without pulling out the map every 2 minutes.But you can see 5 great waterfalls in a short easy ride.

I'm just saying

banned
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    You can buy a map but it won't tell you which way to ride the trails in Pisgah. The Ranger District of Pisgah National forrest near Brevard,NC. has some of the best single track around, but you can get lost and/or ride trails backwards and get a bad taste of Pisgah. You'll have to do some homework or catch a group ride or get a guide. I ride 3 or 4 times a week in Pisgah and its very technical - big climbs and narly downhills. I did a loop involving Pilotrock trail with 16 riders Sunday and I was one of two that didn't crash multiple times, funny with so many bleeding and a couple of broke bikes everyone was grinning .....There are a few shuttle runs but locals don't devulge them often, there's more XC riders than downhillers in this area.

Dupont has a turn every 200yrds and more(Fireroad) than singletrack, it took me at least 10 times before I could navigate around Dupont without pulling out the map every 2 minutes.But you can see 5 great waterfalls in a short easy ride.

I'm just saying
    can I go riding with you sometime? you are my hero.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by weather underground
    can I go riding with you sometime? you are my hero.
    AAAAAHHHH my buddy, the e-rider

banned
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by motobutane
    AAAAAHHHH my buddy, the e-rider
    and poseur extraordinaire.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Just like everyone else said go to Pisgah and you will have so much within a 20 minute drive you couldn't ride it all in months.
    "Listen here you beautiful *****, I'm about to **** you up with some truth"

mtbr member
    anyone know which guild book is best for pisgah and where to get it?

mtbr member
    This one helped me a ton last weekend.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-NC-Pis.../dp/1889596124

I'd rather be riding!
    Quote Originally Posted by shalesjr
    This one helped me a ton last weekend.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-NC-Pis.../dp/1889596124

Yeah, the guide book is great, but the one most important item for Pisgah would be the map, Pisgah Ranger District. Even most of the locals would not ride without it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ok, so Pisgah it is. Thanks. I hope I dont end up using all of the helpful tips I have picked up from watching Bear Grylls over the last couple years.

mtbr member
    someone was asking about shuttle runs I beleieve, Windrock in East Tennessee is your answer. It's in Oliver Springs, TN. There are about 25 trails that are easily shuttled. 2,200 ft. vertical drop from the top. Although it is best suited for DH or FR bikes. Very steep, some tough rock gardens and drops and gap jumps. It would be easy to out and descend 10,000+ feet in a day. Bring a full face and some suspension.

dlc
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    You could stay in Blue Ridge, GA. Nice town with a nice downtown area with a couple of small bars and stuff to do.

Riding in Blue Ridge ( Complete Day of hard Riding)
    Stanley Gap- Epic trial in October
    Flat Creek
    Green Mtn

15 mins south is Ellijay
    Mtn bike capital of GA
    Pinhoti 1,2,3 and Bear Creek. Epic long day ride
    River loop, one of the oldest trails in GA

15 mins north of Blue Ridge
    Tansi / Brush Creek- The olympic white water center. Great full day of riding. Some of the best trails around.

This is why I think Blue Ridge is a great place to hub out of.
    Let me know if you need more info.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Awesome info dlc, thanks.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help, I have an am bike with only 5.5" of travel so I just try to avoid the big hits to save some skin. sorry about hijacking your thead lawdog.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast