mtbr member

Haw Ridge or Knoxville Urban Wilderness

I will be spending a day in the Knoxville are next week and am looking for an enjoyable ride. These two trails seem to have the most available mileage, but looking for some input from locals. Which of the two trails system listed above should I hit?

Is there something better in the area?

Also, any good microbreweries for after ride food and libations?
    All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best...William of Ockham

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Definitely the 2 best in the area. I have ridden extensively at Haw Ridge, not so much at Dirty South(Knox Urban Wilderness.) Honestly they both are a play ground for a decent rider. Getting around at Haw Ridge is easy because everything intersects, you can get to whatever trail you want easily. Dirty South is a giant loop, but most of the best stuff is in a fairly close area. AC/DC is a must ride at Dirty South. Haw Ridge's most notable is washing machine, about a year old and still being developed, but a HECK of a ride. It is steeper than the video portrays, dropping the post is a good idea. Both systems have a lot of variety to offer, both being more technically geared, with roots dominating Haw Ridge and rocks at Dirty South. Dirty South is probably more refined, and Haw Ridge is more worn I suppose. What day are you going? Oct 25th is a 12 hr race at Haw Ridge, and some days are group rides at Dirty South.

AC/DC Dirty South
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DC9kj04ISU
    Washing Machine Haw Ridge
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7fC0ezD9z4

What type of riding is your favorite/what are you looking for? Type of bike?

mtbr member
    Most likely down there Wednesday or Thursday. Actually will be camping in Big South Fork all week, but will make a day trip down to Knoxville for a change of pace and a little taste of civilization mid week.
    All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best...William of Ockham

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I hope you are going to ride at Big South Fork while you are there. What kind of riding are you use to? What type of bike do you use?

mtbr member
    Trip to Big South is specifically for riding, but since there is only 40 or so miles of trail there, we thought would break it up some with a trip to Knoxville.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpick915; 3 Days Ago at 06:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Great. I went to BSF about 6 months ago. I got a lot of rain and sinus drainage that made me feel junky. Gonna go back soon.

Dirty South will be closer and easier, their posted map is great and they have good markings. Park at Mead's Quarry if you go there. I don't know Knox downtown well, but Barley's has a HUGE beer selection and great pizza.