mtbr member

Harbison Reroutes

Just wondering what other Harbison State Forest (SC) riders think about the numerous reroutes on Firebreak, Midlands Mtn. and Spiderwoman II.

Personally, I think they suck and they are making some of the climbs easier. On the other hand, since we have hardly any trails in Columbia, it is nice to ride on new stretches of trails.

paintbucket
    The reroutes I've seen are all in areas where erosion has been a consistent problem. Since I'm not the guy out there maintaining the trails, I'm not going to complain. I'm far more aggravated by the fact that the rock garden on Spiderwoman is rapidly losing its challenge.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    You would hate the Palmetto trail if you like climbs.Its mostly flat single track.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azmountainbiker
    Just wondering what other Harbison State Forest (SC) riders think about the numerous reroutes on Firebreak, Midlands Mtn. and Spiderwoman II.

Personally, I think they suck and they are making some of the climbs easier. On the other hand, since we have hardly any trails in Columbia, it is nice to ride on new stretches of trails.
    Yeah it'll be a pity to see the switchbacks at Midlands disappear, but since I haven't been to a trail maintennance day in forever, I can't complain... Theres always the inner loop on Spiderwoman if you want some extra climbing

Two wheels are best
    Trust me when I say (OK, type) that the re-routes are all done for the sole purpose of making the trails sustainable. Since Harbison is basically flat (OK, so even those little climbs are tough in 90+ temps!) and the fact that the original layout was done way back when little was known about building "sustainable" trails, some changes must be made.

Please remember that most of the people putting in the time to do the trail work actually USE the trails. Making the trails sustainable and keeping them as fun as possible are both the primary goals in every choice that's being made.

Re-routing is used as a last resort to fix a problem area. We'd rather keep sections of trail like the Switch-Back...it just can't be done in and have a sustainable trail.

Oh, and you puke's should drag your sorry behinds out to a trail work day real SOON!
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.