mtbr member

Had the pleasure of riding Blankets Creek yesterday.

I live in Orlando, but I was up in north Georgia visiting family this past weekend. I decided to take yesterday off work and stay one extra day to do a little riding. Blankets Creek is only about 20 minutes from their house so I went there. I didn't get to ride nearly as much as I would have liked, but I did ride Quehl holler a few times and South Loop twice. It was Monday so it was clockwise. South Loop is such an awesome trail! I loved that trail. I could have rode it all day long. I have to say, I'm jealous of you guys who get to ride it all the time.

And the weather was absolutely perfect. I wound up missing the whole storm that everyone else back home was dealing with. Here's a pic I took down by the lake on the trail.

I wreck alot
    Blankets Creek is amazing. I live in the Panhandle and have been fortunate to make it up there. I believe it's one of the best trail systems the Southeast has to offer. Glad you had a good time out there!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Glad you enjoyed it! A little surprised that you chose South Loop as most would have suggested VMT or Dwelling. Either way you chose a great one that I rarely ride, even though I live right there.

Van Michaels and Dwelling have much more flow if your into that type of riding so check them out next time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Biker View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it! A little surprised that you chose South Loop as most would have suggested VMT or Dwelling. Either way you chose a great one that I rarely ride, even though I live right there.

Van Michaels and Dwelling have much more flow if your into that type of riding so check them out next time.
    I'll definitely check them out last time. I rode South Loop because I rode Quehl holler a few times and the entrance to South Loop is right there. I had no idea what South Loop was like before I rode it. I didnt even know what the whole Blanket Creek system was like before hand. I rode it because my cousin's house who I was staying at for the weekend, is only about 10 miles away and I had to get back home to Orlando that same day. So I couldn't travel far to ride. I'll be back though.

\m/{-_-}\m/
    I'll be out there next Thursday. I've only ridden there once and I'm stoked to go back. This was prior to Quell Holler (that's the flow trail right?) and I rode Dwelling, South, and VM.

It's a really nice trail system fa sho.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Burn View Post
    I'll be out there next Thursday. I've only ridden there once and I'm stoked to go back. This was prior to Quell Holler (that's the flow trail right?) and I rode Dwelling, South, and VM.

It's a really nice trail system fa sho.
    Yeah, Quell Holler is the downhill/freeride/Flow lol. Great quick trail and I have seen some amazing things on that trail. There are some really amazing riders out this way.

mtbr member
    Yeah the local SORBA chapter has really done an amazing job over the last ten years with Blankets. I remember riding there 10yrs ago when Dwelling was the only thing there. I think South Loop is probably the most technical with the few rock gardens and root sections and flows the worst, but is still a lot of fun. VMT is incredible now that they've added berms into a lot of the turns and the flow is awesome going clockwise.

mtbr member
    I will be in Lawrenceville second week in October visiting friends and I'm planning on riding Blankets Creek on Tuesday the 9th. I heard from lots of people that the trail is nice and fun to ride.

I live in Jacksonville, FL btw.
    '12 Trek Cobia 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek29r View Post
    I will be in Lawrenceville second week in October visiting friends and I'm planning on riding Blankets Creek on Tuesday the 9th. I heard from lots of people that the trail is nice and fun to ride.

I live in Jacksonville, FL btw.
    I'm in Lawrenceville. If you want to squeeze in more riding at some convenient locations, I'd recommend Harbins Park (@17 miles of very decent trails) and Ft. Yargo State Park (12 mile fun flowy trail that'll work you a little more than Harbins) Harbins is 15 miles from my house, Yargo 22 miles.

But by all means, go to Blankets. I've been there once and can't wait to go back. It's quite a drive from L'ville, but well worth making the trip occasionally.

mtbr member
    yeah...it's about an 1-1.5 hrs from where my friend lives (close to Georgia Gwinnett College). I heard that Ft. Yargo is fun to ride too and closer. If plans change....I will try to go there as well.

I see that weather will be perfect for riding.

thanks for the advise.
    '12 Trek Cobia 29er

Bro Mountainbiker
    Dwelling is dangerous. So fast and fun. Very easy to run over old people and childer and dogs.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

rpr
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Are there any trails n Blankets that a beginner could handle?

I am taking a week off of work and planning to do some riding with the wife.

I'm pretty good on a bike but my wife is extremely petite so she can't muscle the bike up climbs, and she is a bit unsteady on the bike as well.

What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    Are there any trails n Blankets that a beginner could handle?

I am taking a week off of work and planning to do some riding with the wife.

I'm pretty good on a bike but my wife is extremely petite so she can't muscle the bike up climbs, and she is a bit unsteady on the bike as well.

What do you guys think?

Blankets has 2 beginner trails; Mosquito Flats and Mosquito Bite. They are VERY beginner friendly. Super flat, not much going on. Together they're only just over 2 miles. I'm not sure I agree with Sheepo that Dwelling is dangerous. It's a fun intermediate trail. A beginner might have to walk parts of it, but it's nothing too crazy in my opinion.

\m/{-_-}\m/
    In regards to Dwelling being dangerous I don't agree. It's barely above beginner in my opinion. I'd say to start with the Mosquito trails and then attempt Dwelling if you're feeling good. It's only around 4 miles.

rpr
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Awesome...thanks for the info.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I meant Dwelling is dangerous because it so easy to go way too fast.(because its so awesome)

Its laden with beginners in the trail that may or may not get pissy because you are flying a little too fast with way too big of a grin.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

\m/{-_-}\m/
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    I meant Dwelling is dangerous because it so easy to go way too fast.(because its so awesome)

Its laden with beginners in the trail that may or may not get pissy because you are flying a little too fast with way too big of a grin.
    Yeah I could see that. That non-technical hardpack is fast for sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    A few eeeks back I rode Ft. Yargo. Very fun trail and will be back to ride it. I understand where Sheepo is coming from, I mention that about FATS. Wicked fun trail but the speed can catch up to you and bite you hard.