mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Greer, SC. Bike shops & cycling

I have a job interview in Greer and was wondering about the cycling there. I know Ashville is close so mtbing must be good. Hows the road biking and whats the best bike shops in the area? Do they have good group rides? Is it a good place to live, crime wise?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm not familiar enough with the "scene", nor do I know enough to know which bike shops are any good, but there are a few in Greenville you might want to check out. Upstate SC is a pretty good place to live though. I'm not certain specifically about Greer, but crime will probably depend on neighborhood.

One trail I've heard good things about is Issaqueena trail. Its near Clemson.

Good luck on the interview,
    WF

paintbucket
    Post to the southeastern board for more specifics, but there's a serious road scene in Greenville, and several shops. I say local boy George Hincapie out training up thataway a month or so ago for example. I actually think there's more trail closer to Spartanburg rather than in Greenville, but you're not far from there either.

Crime? What do you think this is, the big city?
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by jtompilot
    I have a job interview in Greer and was wondering about the cycling there. I know Ashville is close so mtbing must be good. Hows the road biking and whats the best bike shops in the area? Do they have good group rides? Is it a good place to live, crime wise?
    Gusto Cycles on 29 towards G'ville is one of the Best shops in town. I drive out of my way to business w/ them. Brad the owner is cool. not much riding in Greer itself. South Side/ Croft ( spartanburg ) is a 30 min drive. Issaqueena (clemson) a 50min drive, Paris Mountain (G'vegas) some good trails and getting better w/ new stuff. Dupont State Forest in NC and Pisgah are with an hour and change worth of driving (where most weekends are spent)

Greenville is more of a Roadie town...and most of the local shops cater towards more Road than MTB... for great MTB shops Brevard / Asheville. for road group rides tuesdays at Donaldson Ctr. For Mtb there used to group night rides at Southside on Tuesdays. Group night rides on tuesdays as well at the Issaqueena main trail (mostly winter rides) 630-7ish

crime is not bad / traffic sucks around here / schools aren't bad / Greenville is a great place to live.