Thread: Greenville, SC

paintbucket

Greenville, SC

I'm up in Greenville (actually Marietta) on Mondays and Tuesdays for the next month or two. If there's a ride I shouldn't be missing I'd love to hear about it. Or a hook up. Or maybe even a nice dirt road climb I can use for training. I've been thinking of riding up Persimmon Ridge from Highway 11 for example.

Anybody have any thoughts? I can even bring a road bike although 5 o'clock traffic isn't my idea of a good time.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    I'm up in Greenville (actually Marietta) on Mondays and Tuesdays for the next month or two. If there's a ride I shouldn't be missing I'd love to hear about it. Or a hook up. Or maybe even a nice dirt road climb I can use for training. I've been thinking of riding up Persimmon Ridge from Highway 11 for example.

Anybody have any thoughts? I can even bring a road bike although 5 o'clock traffic isn't my idea of a good time.
    Marietta's not to far from Dupont 15-20mins , Jeremy (Mtngoatepics) has a Tuesday Night ride they hit Dupont quite a bit. Have you been over to Paris Mtn...They've got some good trail and working on another +/- 6miles to open soon. No night riding yet, but they're workin on it. a good road ride is 276 up Caesar's Head... every now and then we pass Hincapie going up.

Issaqueena over at Clemson has a Tuesday Night ride... that's probably a 40 min drive from where your staying.

Give me a shout if you need more info or a guide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Group Rides

Howdy,

I typically go out to Issaqueena on Tuesday nights. If interested, you can drop me an email at wrtaylo@hotmail.com

I may start hitting southside, that is a great trail system. If paris mountain was open to night ridiing, that would be the place to go. I would gladly pay to ride there at night.....

RT

Goat of Legend
    Wooglin, shoot me a PM if you want to hook up on Tuesday nights. We usually start at 7:30 at Dupont but I might be able to start at 6 if that helps ya out. I'm not riding tonight. I've had 3 straight hard days on the bike and last night my legs felt like lead trying to keep up with the singlespeeders. I knew better then to ride.
    Gotta get the legs fresh again for the Icycle this weekend.

Jeremy

paintbucket
    Doesn't sound like any of those are going to work. Saw Hincapie training yesterday and it looked like he needs some speed work if he's gonna win a spring classic this year. So I guess I'll just bring the roadie and show him how its done.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.

mtbr member
    I'd be up for a Tues. ride at Paris, Camp Croft, or Isaqueena. If it's still wet you don't want to ride at Croft, though.
    Pretty much morning or after 3 is best for me.
    If you're still in the area at daylight savings time then you gotta do the road rides at Donaldson.
    Lou
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Boom Yow!
    Dec 2004

Ever heard of Oil Camp Creek or the Ashemore Heritage Perserve? It's close to Persimmon Ridge. And you can actually make a loop going up OCC then down 276 to Persimmon Ridge. Down PR not to far is a gated trail (double track) on the left that will take you back to OCC. It has been 10 years since I have done this loop. My son and I went up PR this past weekend (hiking) to find the cut through trail bacause I couldn't remember which one it was. Next time I have the oppurtunity I'm going back with my bike. OCC is just an old logging road that hunters use now. I definitely wouldn't go there during season.
    CC

paintbucket
    The Heritage preserve is closed to bikes. But if its avoidable I'd be up for that loop with some more specifics. Sounds perfect.

Upstate--I'm up in the air on logistics, but I'm going to try and bring a bike on Tuesday next week. I'll PM you if I think I can pull it off. I usually quit work for the day about 3 up there, so it should be doable.

Boom Yow!
    Dec 2004
    The Heritage preserve is closed to bikes. But if its avoidable I'd be up for that loop with some more specifics. Sounds perfect.

How do you know it's closed? I didn't see any signs neccesarily banning bikes. It's just says closed to motorized vehicles. Worst case scenario I think OCC could at least be done legally. Then you could take PR back to 11 or just turn around on OCC for a sweet 4-5mi DH.
    CC