mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Grapefruit trail

Anyone have an update on the current condition. Last I had heard is that it was leveled by tillman. I need to ride there if it is rideable.

Thanks!

yeah, uh............bikes
    there was an update today on freeridesouth....... lots of bulldozer damage to the high side trail from the construction on the west portion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Did they knock down the ridgeline? That section made that trail. I need to get back up there. I was riding there at least every other weekend for a while. The trail builders are dedicated, they will bring it back if it is possible.

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flboy
    Did they knock down the ridgeline? That section made that trail. I need to get back up there. I was riding there at least every other weekend for a while. The trail builders are dedicated, they will bring it back if it is possible.
    They only knocked down the ridge line in the west section only, not the middle or east sections as of last Friday anyways. Things are different out there though, but the same ole trail system you know of is there and flowing great. There was a couple short additions added in the middle and east sections, but everything should be the same as of today. May go ride it this weekend if the weather permits. It is my back door you know.....

ChiliPepper1
    Well, took a ride yesterday and not much to brag about out there anymore. West side is totally gone and trees perfectly placed along the trails elsewhere. The life and heartbeat of the GFT is slowly dieing, though there is still a very small handful of riders still making an effortless effort to continue building. A lost cause I must say!

Some are making a last ditch effort to build trails on the lower side near the canal itself, but soon they will be under water or destroyed by the District.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    post some pics next time you are over there Chili. I am very sad to hear this.

ChiliPepper1
    I'll try, but not sure when I will be returning there. Have not been riding the GFT that much this year. Been traveling around for a good ride along with urban assault riding as well.

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    There's potential for more trail on the other side of 95... There is another berm and hill that runs with the canal all the way to Emerson. Seems like the top end of the trail by 95 has been getting dozed. Maybe look to extend the trail under the highway.. It could eventually run all the way to Minton because it's tree lined and has a dredge berm the whole way. Definitely one of the better rides in Melbourne / Palm Bay either way you look at it.

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpride
    There's potential for more trail on the other side of 95... There is another berm and hill that runs with the canal all the way to Emerson. Seems like the top end of the trail by 95 has been getting dozed. Maybe look to extend the trail under the highway.. It could eventually run all the way to Minton because it's tree lined and has a dredge berm the whole way. Definitely one of the better rides in Melbourne / Palm Bay either way you look at it.
    Are you a regular out there? I know just about all the regulars, just not the newer riders. Did a lot of trail work and building out there at one point, but just got burned out doing it. Yes, you are right, definitely one of the better trails here in the Melbourne/Palm Bay area. TC, Malabar Scrub, and Wickham are descent trails at best.

***UPDATE (08/01/10)***.......Well, pretty much 80% of the trail is destroyed and gone, and I do not say this lightly. Rode out there with a few friends Sunday to only have my heart drop to the bottom of my feet with the sight that I saw. Very small bit is left in the mid-section and in the east-section. Pretty much all (90%) of the entire ridge-line is destroyed, and everything from the older single double DJ has been plowed over and destroyed, being the lower and upper trails. The lower trail coming in from the TH is still there though. There is still great potential once the construction has been completed though, just have to give it at least a 6month rest, then get in there and totally re-build a new trail system or loop. RIP for now my beloved GFT.
    Last edited by ChiliPepper1; 08-02-2010 at 04:11 AM.