undercover brother

New question here. Good trails near Chattanooga, TN / Stone Fort, GA?

So the significant other wants to take a trip this fall/late summer down to Chattanooga and Stone Fort for some bouldering. We went earlier this year and the mountains look great all around. I would love to take advantage of the drive and ride some trails while we're down there. Are there any good aggressive trails within an hr of either Chattanooga or Stone Fort? Bike parks? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Check SORBA Chattanooga's web page. Far too many trails to list (probably well over 100 miles within 30 minutes of downtown). Be sure to hit Raccoon Mountain, Five Points, White Oak Mountain, and Enterprise South. A little further out you've got Pinhotti, Tanasi, and a few others. Great riding, and that's a great time of year to do it.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by architectx View Post
    Check SORBA Chattanooga's web page. Far too many trails to list (probably well over 100 miles within 30 minutes of downtown). Be sure to hit Raccoon Mountain, Five Points, White Oak Mountain, and Enterprise South. A little further out you've got Pinhotti, Tanasi, and a few others. Great riding, and that's a great time of year to do it.
    That makes me very happy to hear. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yeah, when it comes to Chattanooga, I would definitely agree that you have options of all skill levels. Probably some of the best in the southeast if not the best.

mtbr member
    White oak mountain, raccoon mountain, and enterprise in that order. Raccoon is a day to its self. WOM and enterprise are only a few miles apart. Do WOM in the morning (hint, it's a mountain) eat lunch in Ooltewah; then 10 easy fun flowly miles at enterprise. WOM is real charmer that's getting better weekly. Check out the facebook page. Enjoy the city .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigb2000 View Post
    White oak mountain, raccoon mountain, and enterprise in that order. Raccoon is a day to its self. WOM and enterprise are only a few miles apart. Do WOM in the morning (hint, it's a mountain) eat lunch in Ooltewah; then 10 easy fun flowly miles at enterprise. WOM is real charmer that's getting better weekly. Check out the facebook page. Enjoy the city .
    As someone who lives next to these places this is fantastic advice!

undercover brother
    Thanks guys! I appreciate it. I'll post when the dates are actually set, and if anyone would like to ride one of the days that would be awesome!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    five points

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Bumping this. It sounds like the riding is really good in Chattanoga. From town how far is average trailhead?

How is the quality of life for a family with kids that enjoy the outdoors?

mtbr member
    15- 20 minutes from downtown to raccoon, white oak mountain, stringers ridge, or enterprise. 5 points is a little farther. Tansi is about 45 minutes. Knoxville about 1.5 hours. Traffic is rarely an issue except for afternoon rush hour on I24, still much lighter than other cities. Chattanooga is close to trails, parks, climbing, white water rafting, camping, and a decent road bike scene. We have most of the big city attractions, while remaining relatively small feeling.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigb2000 View Post
    15- 20 minutes from downtown to raccoon, white oak mountain, stringers ridge, or enterprise. 5 points is a little farther. Tansi is about 45 minutes. Knoxville about 1.5 hours. Traffic is rarely an issue except for afternoon rush hour on I24, still much lighter than other cities. Chattanooga is close to trails, parks, climbing, white water rafting, camping, and a decent road bike scene. We have most of the big city attractions, while remaining relatively small feeling.
    Thanks. Not much of a roadie anymore. How is the singletrack? Buffed out or technically/progressive?

Is the local SORBA group heavily involved with the local riding community in regards to trail building/advocacy?

mtbr member
    Little bit of everything from technical, at least to me, to nice and flowey. It's easy to get in 10-15 miles at most trails. Raccoon has about 20 total. Check out SORBA chattanooga on facebook and Friends of White Oak Mountain on facebook. There are trail days almost every weekend. Not sure what you're accustomed to riding or where, but I see plenty of people coming to chattanooga to ride raccoon and enterprise. White oak mountain is property of Southern Adventist University ( open to everyone) and is largely under the radar. IMO it's the best trail system here and you'll see mostly locals riding there. Plenty of shop and group rides in the area. My suggestion is to visit and post up on Sorba chattanooga's page where you're riding. Someone will offer to ride/guide with you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Bumping this. It sounds like the riding is really good in Chattanoga. From town how far is average trailhead?

How is the quality of life for a family with kids that enjoy the outdoors?
    I've lived here the past two years and the quality of life for kids is fantastic! During the nice months we bike Riverwalk, paddle board many rivers, hike water falls, mountain bike, and a lot of other fun stuff.

From where I live it's roughly 10 minutes to some great trails and 20 to Raccoon Mountain.

The perfessor
    - yepper, White Oak Mt. is literally right around the corner from my friend, and I found this trail by going to Chatt. Sorba website.......great trail system for anyone, not super technical on the green / red trails........was geared up to ride the diamond trails a while back but the rain ran me off....
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared