mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Good Technical Trails around Chattanooga/Cleveland/South East Tennesseee/ North Ga?

So after riding for almost a year around the Chattanooga, Tn area with a couple buddies Iíve come to figure out there are a lot of other places you can ride that are not widely broadcasted out. I actually live in Cleveland, Tn which is about 20 minutes North of Chattanooga, Tn. I know there are trail guides and some maps on here but nothing to tell you actually how good the riding is or comparing it to something which Iíve rode as to not waste an entire biking trip.

White Oak
    I live about 10-12 minutes from White Oak and love that place for a quick spin. Great place to train since you can constantly are climbing it feels. (we climb way too much and only end up riding about 7-8 miles after work or something. Have not gone here on a Saturday)

VW (Enterprise Park)
    Only ride it with my wife or another beginner. Trails are ok, way more tame and XC than Iíd prefer. Bummer it closes on certain times which definitely rules it out for winter rides due to the time change. (run black forrest, TNT, and log rhythm 2 times at least for about 12-13 miles)

Raccoon Mtn.
    Iíve rode here 2 times so far. Good trails, with a lot of variety and some tougher stuff too. (think we rode about 15-18 miles there doing an entire loop but nor hitting everything)

Ocoee Trails (including brush creek)
    Probably my favorite trail system around. Normally start behind the #3 powerhouse and ride up to the top via gravel road and do that system (~15 miles). And if we are feeling frogy, ride along the river and climb up to brush creek to ride that for about 27 miles total.

Chilhowee
    Normally park at the bottom ride up and around at the top. Decent trail. One heck of a climbÖ Made a wrong turn and ended up climbing straight up for about 9-10 milesÖ My legs, lungs, and whole body hated me.. (18 miles normal ride there about)

Does anyone ride Star Mnt trails, Windy Gap, what are some other ones maybe within 30 minute radius of Chattanooga (on the South side) or about 1 hr to the North side. Iíve been meaning to research some trails in Knoxville and make a trip up there. Saw a video of some pretty sweet trails.

Like riding a little bit of everything. We race motorcycles (endure/hare scrambles) so itís not to bad of a transition. Like to blast down some hills and like a little bit more technical terrain that say what VW offers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmokeu2 View Post
    Does anyone ride Star Mnt trails, Windy Gap, what are some other ones maybe within 30 minute radius of Chattanooga (on the South side) or about 1 hr to the North side. Iíve been meaning to research some trails in Knoxville and make a trip up there. Saw a video of some pretty sweet trails.

Like riding a little bit of everything. We race motorcycles (endure/hare scrambles) so itís not to bad of a transition. Like to blast down some hills and like a little bit more technical terrain that say what VW offers.
    Windy Gap/Tibbs/Rock Creek are great fun... on the KTM. Haven't tried those on my mtb, but they would offer a killer workout. I've only done the fire roads on Starr Mtn, again on dualsport motorcycles. What does Starr have for mtb trails? Have you tried the Snake Creek Gap part of the Pinhoti trail system down near Dalton? If you like rocks, its right up your alley.

PS - I ride White Oak all the time. Hit me up if you want to hit all the good stuff there, in the right direction. It requires riding some trails twice to cover about 12-13 miles.

The perfessor
    - have ridden White Oak Mt. but not done everything.......if my back gets a bit better by this weekend and the rain isn't horrendous, I hope to get up there to ride a bit....done about 15 miles in "biology" but none of the diamond trails yet.....
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_chrome View Post
    - have ridden White Oak Mt. but not done everything.......if my back gets a bit better by this weekend and the rain isn't horrendous, I hope to get up there to ride a bit....done about 15 miles in "biology" but none of the diamond trails yet.....
    We just got back from a ride there this afternoon. Not a bad place to go if you are close.. You can definitely get in a work out in a 5 mile ride before it gets dark since I can't get on the trail till about 5.

I have only rode 2 times in the past 2 months so my body was not liking me.. Even after being able to run a 24min 5k biking is just a different animal...

re member
    If you really are looking for technical and rocky, three hours to your west is Monte Sano in Huntsville, Al.

It would be worth the drive if you seek tech.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    If you really are looking for technical and rocky, three hours to your west is Monte Sano in Huntsville, Al.

It would be worth the drive if you seek tech.
    Technical for us does not necessarily need to be rocky.. Just not a "beginner" trail... Like VW trails. like some tighter single track stuff, good downhill stuff, few drops, etc. We really like Occoee and Racoon, they have some good stuff..

Just wanted to see what else is out there close similar to Occoee and Racoon..

mtbr member
    Blankets creek is about 2 hours from Cleveland. Definitely worth the trip. Like a bigger version of biology. Little bit of everything with rocks, roots, and decent downhills.

mtbr member
    While not that technical we enjoy hitting 5 Points. Chillhowie and Tanasi are our go to, it's a super system.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Hit up TTC for some DH action!

-Brett

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigb2000 View Post
    Blankets creek is about 2 hours from Cleveland. Definitely worth the trip. Like a bigger version of biology. Little bit of everything with rocks, roots, and decent downhills.
    and 10 minutes (drive) (or 30 minute pedal) from blankets creek is rope mill. easy way to get 20 miles in without riding the same thing twice.