mtbr member
    Apr 2012

New question here. Good Southeast trails for SS riding

Hello everyone.

Wanting to plan a couple trips out and need some good suggestions for SS friendly places to visit. So, what are your favorite singlespeed trails in the southeast?

I'm in the Daytona area of Florida and do all the local trails here. I've been to Santos, but with a geared bike. Plan on going to Santos again soon, but also want some other good options for new trails and places to visit.

I've visited Sope Creek and Tsali with geared bikes. I think I could take on Tsali with my SS, but I do not think Sope Creek would be fun on a single. Any trails I should definitely put on my list, or definitely should take off?

I ride 26'' SS steel rigid. Pretty good shape. Good lungs and good legs. 34/18 gearing pulls me pretty good on the local trails here. Lots of sand, roots and short but steep inclines...

Thanks in advance for any input!

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Munson/Twilight and also Miccosukee Greenways in Tallahassee

San Felasco in Alachua

Pretty much everything west of Tallahassee is SS enjoyable(read as flatter than flat).

white boy extraordinaire
    I think you would be well served by about anything in the Chattanooga and Atlanta metro areas. All the trail systems are hilly but not overly so and a lot of good flow to be found. Also, FATS in augusta area, Dupont in NC, off of the top of my head.
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

-the Dude

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If you think Tsali is doable for you on SS, then Sope definitely is - especially with the new trails. Before I got fat(ter) I ran my Dragon One as an SS there with no problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    Munson/Twilight and also Miccosukee Greenways in Tallahassee

San Felasco in Alachua

Pretty much everything west of Tallahassee is SS enjoyable(read as flatter than flat).
    Thanks for the input! I'm adding these to my list of candidates. I don't have to have 'flat'. I'm lucky to have a good mix of trails in my area. Everything from flat/easy to hilly with some really steep/rocky/rooted inclines. San Felasco looks really good to me! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cmweldon View Post
    I think you would be well served by about anything in the Chattanooga and Atlanta metro areas. All the trail systems are hilly but not overly so and a lot of good flow to be found. Also, FATS in augusta area, Dupont in NC, off of the top of my head.
    FATS and Dupont wil definitely be on my list. They look great. I've been wanting to spend a weekend in Chattanooga for a while anyway, but for different reasons. I'll need to take my bike when I go!

Quote Originally Posted by grog View Post
    If you think Tsali is doable for you on SS, then Sope definitely is - especially with the new trails. Before I got fat(ter) I ran my Dragon One as an SS there with no problems.
    Thank you. I should be fair and say that I only rode Thompson Loop at Tsali. I was in the area for the weekend and rented a bike to ride for a day. I did the NOC trail and Thompson Loop. If the other Tsali trails are similar in difficulty (i.e. average incline grade) to Thompson Loop then I should be good. I definitely plan to go to Tsali again, but this time for a mountain biking specific weekend.

I rode Sope Creek back in October 2012 on my geared bike. I hadn't actually started riding my SS at the time, because I was not finished with the build. I just remember thinking that those long(ish) steep inclines would be a killer on a SS bike. Maybe I was wrong. I will be there in June for a visit with friends and will take both my bikes and give it a try with the SS. Thanks!

I appreciate the input everyone! Now, I just need to get a plan for getting to all these great trails. I'm making a goal to visit at least two new 'big trails' a year. The southeast is loaded with so many great choices!

Good riding-

J.

mtbr member
    Oak Mountain and Coldwater Mountain in AL are both doable by SS and loads of fun.
    Quiring KVA MS2 Stainless 29er SS
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | GHORBA | IMBA NMBP

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ecthelion View Post
    Oak Mountain and Coldwater Mountain in AL are both doable by SS and loads of fun.
    I had read about Coldwater Mountain previously. I knew there was an Alabama trail I was interested in. Thanks for reminding me!

mtbr member
    I effectively run my bike like a SS, and the only two places I've been (Mala Compra at Palm Coast, and Chuck Lennon in De Leon Springs) it's fine there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougalicious View Post
    I effectively run my bike like a SS, and the only two places I've been (Mala Compra at Palm Coast, and Chuck Lennon in De Leon Springs) it's fine there.
    Hi there! Yeah, I ride all the Volusia and Flagler County trails. I've only done the blue Mala Compra trail with my SS. I've ridden the diamond sections (had to bypass a couple spots) with my geared bike. Need to go back there soon...

I ride Chuck Lennon most Wednesday mornings. Hit me up sometime if you want to ride. I also do Spruce Creek, Graham Swamp and Bulow Creek.

Getting ready to head to Spruce Creek now...

Good riding-

J.