Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Going to Sokol Park this afternoon - Tuscaloosa

4K views 35 replies 10 participants last post by  sxr-racer 
#1 ·
I've heard/read a lot of good things about the trails there. I've got a new Motobecane 700 HT coming in later this week, but I can't wait. :D I'm gonna patch up my crappy Mongoose and head over to check it out. I'll hopefully report back later today with some pics. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Here's a vid I found of one of the cooler-looking trails.

#2 ·
WHEW....I'm out of shape. This wasn't even that difficult of a trail but it sure did tire me out! This is definitely a fun way to get exercise though. I haven't been in the woods on trails in YEARS and boy, did it feel great. I wanted to stay longer but my body told me to go home. :D

First of all....the embarassing pics.

Isn't it funny how sections don't look nearly as daunting on the computer screen as they do on the trail? Whether from my heavy and inadequately geared bike, or from my aforementioned lack of fitness, I couldn't climb either of these hills! Hopefully the new bike will help with that.....it'll make me feel better about myself. ;)

Last ride for the Mongoose. It's stuck on the smallest front cog because of a cable issue, so there was some fast pedaling for me today on a few straights!

Now THAT was a fun section. It's a downhill zigzag with 4 corners spaced 50-60 feet across from eachother which snake down to a bridge at the very bottom. Good stuff.

All in all, I had fun! I now realize the shortcomings of my current bike and can't wait to try all of this on the new one later this week. Hopefully, I can make it out to Lake Lurleen during spring break and try that out, as well.

If you're going to Sokol Park for the first time, I highly suggest you take a map with you.

https://www.westalmtb.org/sokol map.pdf

I wish I would have found that BEFORE riding. :nono:

#4 ·
Snagged7 said:
That looks like some great riding. Are you able to ride to those trails or do you drive to get to them? I have trails near my house that I ride too but nowhere near that much fun looking of the ones posted above.
Unfortunately, I have to drive about 15 miles to these trails. It was definitely fun!

#6 ·
jrockmetalhead said:
yea i just tried out sokol trails a couple of weeks ago , and they were a lot better than lake lurleen to me (more fun anyways).

What trail is that with with the tree roots going down hill to that small bridge? (the pic after the one of your bike). looks like fun.
I honestly couldn't tell ya. :lol: This was my first time out with no map, so I was kinda wondering around aimlessly. I'll try to track it down next time I go out though.

#13 ·
g9m3c said:
Awesome. UPS says it will be here tomorrow, so I'll post some pics. :thumbsup:
Did you check out the pics of your bike on this page? The only thing I didn't like about the bike is the brakes and bars and stem but they will be fine for a wile. The only reason I don't like the bars and stem is because they don't look so great as far as the brakes go I hope you get the avids and not the tektro the avids are much better. I have some tektro brakes and the pads are crap but good for a wile so don't worry they just go bad fast maybe 6 months. I got new pads (ebc ) and they were so much better I also have hydros. You should consider saving for some hydros when your pads go bad you can get a good set of shimano deore hydros for like 115 bucks on ebay for example... You can find great deals on ebay if you are going to learn to work on the bike your self. I am a handy guy and with the help of the internet I can do everything on my bike no problem. I say learn to work on your own bike if you can and spend the labor money on parts its more fun that way. Another thing you should read some beginners guide to mtb care. I say that because you need to know stuff like don't spray the bearings with a pressure washer oil and clean the chain (with chain specific oil) wipe off the fork DONT get oil on the brakes it will ruin them ext ext. You can find how to videos all over the internet on how to care for a MTB just google or youtube good luck and have fun:thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Shimano-Deo..._Accessories&hash=item2a0ea1adbf#ht_500wt_715

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/images/7ht_gallery/

#14 ·
I was looking at the pics and when you get your fitness up you will be good on all of that stuff thats all simple. The new bike will help the wheels will be stiffer the position will be better the fork is better plus you can turn it off if you need to and the gears will work good to get you up. Make sure you don't shift under power like when climbing learn to pick a gear and speed and stick with it on the hill because down shifting wile climbing a hill is hard on the gears.

#15 ·
Yea, I've got the basics down. I just have to hone them a bit. I wish the stem was a 4 bolt, but no big deal: the Trek wasn't either and I almost bought one. :lol: Every single thing on this bike is MUCH better than any bike I've ever owned, so I don't see how I wouldn't be overwhelmed by it. :thumbsup:

#19 ·
jrockmetalhead said:
New ride looks nice! Might be hitting sokol up Sunday or wednesday myself
Thanks! I enjoyed it today. I was hoping there'd be a bit more mud...seems to have dried up quickly. I got about 4.5 miles in total. Also, that bridge you asked about earlier with the roots....it's on the 5 bridges trail. :thumbsup:

#21 ·
Dex said:
Great ride reports and pics! It's been months, if not over as year since we last rode at Sokol.
Here is one of my older ride report with pics.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=4103917#post4103917
Thanks! I'm enjoying it enough to make it a regular trip. I went twice last week and will probably go at least that much this week, although, I had thought about trying Lake Lurleen. I'm not sure if my fitness level is high enough to complete that trail yet or not though. :lol:

#24 ·
humph005 said:
jrockmetalhead, the photo with the roots and small bridge you asked about is part of the 5 bridges trail. I've been riding here for about 3 months now and FINALLY know my way around. Sokol definitely seems like a maze until you get used to it.
Thanks again, ment to get out there this week to try to learn the trails better, but rained on the days I could go. It's for sure a maze out there!

#26 ·
g9m3c said:
No problem! I'm learning my way around a bit. I still haven't rode the Mars trail. Is it across the road from the parking lot at the trail head?
Yea it is, we rode it once. It's made up of mostly red dirt hince the "Mars". Maybe because it was still kinda wet when went, but it was pretty boring for us. Give it a shot though and see what you think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.