the #1 Stunna'

Going to be in Gainesville for a few days, bringing a bike, Would Like Help!

Can you all tell me where i need to ride while i am there? I will have Thurs afternoon, All day Fri, Sat morning, and maybe can sneak a ride in Sun morning before leaving. I use to live in the area, but it has been several years. I know of a few trails, but do not know if there are more / new ones to check, or if some of them have closed. Any incite will be appreciated.

I know of:

San Felasco: (i think it was ~15 miles when i was there last, is this still the case?) Fast and flowy for the most part.

The Rock: ~6 miles when i was there last. A bit more technical with some man build trail features.

Power Lines: ~Mix amount of trail and riding that had to be poached

Urban Trail: Nearish to Mr Good Bike (Shop still around?), we did night rides out of there a long time ago

Is there anything else i need to check out? Also for thurs i can take a bit of a drive if there is anything within an hour or 2 that is worth it.

Thanks for any help!
    I has Bikes

MTBR Member
    Jun 2012

Riding in Gainesville

San Felasco would be good. It is a pretty extensive system now, quite the long haul all the way to the end and back. Park at the main trailhead behind the office complex on 441 don't forget to pay the $4 they DO check and ticket cars. Good trails are Tung Nut, Conquistador and Ravine.

If you want to drive a little go to Santos off of I-75 at the Belleview exit just south of Ocala. Main trailhead is east of I-75. Good trails there and system is quite long and goes across I-75 via bridge. Another good trailhead to start from is the 49 st trailhead which is west of I-75. Nice trails there are Ern n' Burn and Nayl's Trail.

Santos would be more challenging, San Felasco more rolling XC stuff. Nice scenery and wildlife at San Felasco. Check them both out on the internet and print out some maps, then get lost anyway. Have fun.

the #1 Stunna'
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooman View Post
    Check them both out on the internet and print out some maps, then get lost anyway. Have fun.
    sounds like all the local / semi local trails up here in NC
    I has Bikes

MTBR Member
    Jun 2012
    Quite different actually. I have ridden at Dupont in Brevard NC I loved it and can't wait to go back. We just don't have the natural elevation changes here in Fl like NC does especially up in the mountains. Santos in Belleview FL is actually trails in through and around what was going to be the cross Florida barge canal, but the project was scrapped. But they dug some fairly large ravines and made some large hills with the dirt they dug out. The locals started riding bikes through the area and eventually a park was made so the riding would be legal. San Felasco is different because it is getting into north Florida landscape. Very different from Santos. Meadows with rolling hills look very pretty, not fun to ride up and down during the summer months though. The more challenging trails at San Felasco are Tung Nut and Conquistadore and they travel up and down the opposite sides of a big natural ravine. I like to ride in both places and usually do ride at both when I travel up from Orlando to visit my parents who still live in Gainesville. My brother lives in upstate SC and I will be going to visit him soon to ride Dupont again. I've heard Pisgah is good too but a little more challenging than Dupont. I'm not sure how much "challenging" my 48 year old body can take. The idea is to have fun riding not end up in the ER.

the #1 Stunna'
    are "The Rock" trails still around? how about the power line trails out acrossish from the Rock trails? If so are the powerline trails still a poaching type of trail?
    I has Bikes

the #1 Stunna'
    Also could anyone direct me to a current trail map of san felasco? the one i can find has a bunch of circles as trails, i am guessing your trails are not a for real circle.

One to Santos would be cool too.

Thanks
    I has Bikes

mtbr member
    SANTOS!!!!! Best trail system any where in the State!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Back in the late 90's as a student at UF, we rode the powerlines almost daily, weekly anyway. Nobody ever said a word to us about riding there. I was sad to hear that it is no longer "legal" technically to ride there. There used to be a really fun downhill section through small pine trees that was fun, and a windy section through a huge field of kudzu that was really cool too. Guess those trails will live on in my memory only. :-(