Team Chilidog!

Going to be in Atlanta for a couple of weeks

Hi all,

I have to be in Atlanta for a couple of weeks (ok, East Cobb/Marietta). I understand there is some good riding, and I'm hoping to bring my Hammerhead

I was wondering two things:
    - Where do the local riders gather on the web? Most of us from California seem to be here
    - Where can I demo or rent a good mountain bike if I need to?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

atl rides

two places that you want to hit, is blankets and bear creek. check out sorba.org

Mort

Having a nice day!
    If you have some more time, keep going north to Blue Ridge and the Aska Rd. trails (Flat Creek, Green Mountain & Stanley Gap). Tanasi just across the border in TN is great as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Regarding the local web site, you should check out the forum at sorba.org

Al.
    Hooligan
    Two places that I know of that rent bikes:
    cartecay - in Ellijay, if you were going to ride Bull Mountain, Bear Creek, Aska Rd trails, etc.

outspokin - In woodstock, if you were going to ride Blankets Creek.

Other local trails to check out: (if you have time)

-Dauset trails
    -Chicopee
    -Conyers (AKA Horse Park, AKA 1996 Olympic course)
    -Big Creek

when will you be in town?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

from the heckler

Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    Hi all,

I have to be in Atlanta for a couple of weeks (ok, East Cobb/Marietta). I understand there is some good riding, and I'm hoping to bring my Hammerhead

I was wondering two things:
    - Where do the local riders gather on the web? Most of us from California seem to be here
    - Where can I demo or rent a good mountain bike if I need to?

Thanks!
    if you want something a bit different from smooth groomed singletrack, come on down to phenix city, alabama/columbus ga. 100 miles from the airport. yes it is going south from the mountains north of hotlanta, but I can promise you wont be dissappointed and we have some spare steeds to put you on.........see trail review - trail of tears alabama............
    the heckler............roll tide !!!!!!!!

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by the heckler
    if you want something a bit different from smooth groomed singletrack, come on down to phenix city, alabama/columbus ga. 100 miles from the airport. yes it is going south from the mountains north of hotlanta, but I can promise you wont be dissappointed and we have some spare steeds to put you on.........see trail review - trail of tears alabama............
    the heckler............roll tide !!!!!!!!
    Thanks Heckler, I'd love to, but I have to stay close to Atlanta this trip. My mom is having back surgery

Oh yeah - Go Gators :P

mtbr member
    Thanks Heckler, I'd love to, but I have to stay close to Atlanta this trip. My mom is having back surgery

Oh yeah - Go Gators :P
    Check out Cartecay Bikes. Mike's a great guy and organizes group rides on a regular bases.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Al.
    Two places that I know of that rent bikes:
    cartecay - in Ellijay, if you were going to ride Bull Mountain, Bear Creek, Aska Rd trails, etc.

outspokin - In woodstock, if you were going to ride Blankets Creek.

Other local trails to check out: (if you have time)

-Dauset trails
    -Chicopee
    -Conyers (AKA Horse Park, AKA 1996 Olympic course)
    -Big Creek

when will you be in town?
    Nov 12 - 25. It looks like Outspokin is going to rent me a bike for a week (November 14 - 21). So I would definitely be interested in taking it for some rides. Thank you soooo much !

I may be limited in transportation, as my mom will have her truck when she's not having surgery.

What's near East Cobb as far as close riding? I understand Sope Creek isn't far, but I'm not sure if that's still open to bikes or not.

Al.
    Hooligan
    Nov 12 - 25. It looks like Outspokin is going to rent me a bike for a week (November 14 - 21). So I would definitely be interested in taking it for some rides. Thank you soooo much !

I may be limited in transportation, as my mom will have her truck when she's not having surgery.

What's near East Cobb as far as close riding? I understand Sope Creek isn't far, but I'm not sure if that's still open to bikes or not.
    your welcome.

sope is still open, and it costs three dollars to ride that two mile piece of crap trail. Now, it is technical, and maybe close to you... Otherwise, you may split the difference between blankets creek - http://www.sorbawoodstock.org/trails.html and Big Creek - http://www.rambo-mtb.org/blog/upload...ails071305.gif

check for rides on the sorba forum mentioned above closer to your arrival date. There should be something planned while you are here.

edit: you have lights? there are usually poeple riding blankets on Wed and Thurs nights.

Go make a difference
    Stripes,
    I live 10 minutes ride time from Sope and have some great loops out there. It's sketchy fun techincal riding but well worth it IMO. Kevin @ Outspokin is a great guy and he's got a great shop going. Feel free to drop me an email if you want and we can get together for some riding. Bring your lights and arm / leg warmers and that opens up more chances. Sope is a real treat at night! (ooops, did I actually say that? ) er, I mean Sope is closed at night and we NEVER ride out there once the sun goes down. Yea, that's what I meant

Other ride opps near East Cobb is Blanket's Creek. Good loops, can't get lost unless you're really REALLY bad with directions. The mentions earlier of Stanley Gap et al are great treats if you have the time. I'm planning to hit the Stanley / Green Mtn / Aska Rd loop ( my favorite ride in GA) soon but am not sure when yet. Next few weekends are booked.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom's surgery -- that's a bummer reason to have to go see family.

Seriously, let me know if you want to get together or you guys need anything while you're here. email is cmyrickjr@mindspring.com. Put something about mtn biking in the subject line.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

Go make a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by Al.

sope is still open, and it costs three dollars to ride that two mile piece of crap trail.
    If you pay attention, there's actually quite a bit of riding there. I do no less than 10 miles when I go and that's with no - ZERO-- laps on the gravel loop, and no backtracking on anything except a few pieces of the main double track trail to the lake. I come to the park from Paper Mill Rd so I'm at the top of the ridge when I start so I have to get back up there. I go towards the gravel loop using mostly singletrack so when I get on the doubletrack to go back up to the lake, I haven't been on it much.

And yes, EVERY trail I ride is legal.

BTW, there's a work day there this Saturday.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

Al.
    Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker
    If you pay attention, there's actually quite a bit of riding there. I do no less than 10 miles when I go and that's with no - ZERO-- laps on the gravel loop, and no backtracking on anything except a few pieces of the main double track trail to the lake. I come to the park from Paper Mill Rd so I'm at the top of the ridge when I start so I have to get back up there. I go towards the gravel loop using mostly singletrack so when I get on the doubletrack to go back up to the lake, I haven't been on it much.

And yes, EVERY trail I ride is legal.

BTW, there's a work day there this Saturday.
    I have always understood that all trails there were off limits except the lake to loop doubletrack. (I have seen the argument about this on the SORBA site too) I know about the work party, cannot make it though. The last time I worked there was prolly 1999 or 2000. Some bald asshat with two dogs b!tched at us about being mountain bikers and how the park should not allow mountain bikers the whole time we were working. fun.