mtbr member

Getting Pretty wet out @ Snowhill.

A trail used to run thru those 2 palm trees

If theres a will theres a way,put this tree Branch over this ditch to get across to the other side.I only made it half way than fell off, went up to my mid thigh..

This is where i turned around,The water was about3-4' deep

1 more good rain,this bridge is gonna be under water

This crossing was only a foot or so deep.

This is @ The other end of the trail after the 2 palm trees in 1st photo,i was on my way back and just hiked thru it,water was up to my mid thigh @ 1 point!!

Needless to say it was a soaking wet ride,But it was fun!!

Trailhead Poseur
    I was at Snowhill this past Sunday, too.

This was at the north end of the Ditch of Doom, the trail used to keep going straight until you crossed a stream and met up with the trail that ran alongside the river.

The trail along the river was impassible in spots, but away from it the conditions were great. The trails were just damp enough to keep the sand packed. Even the water crossing towards the south end of the ditch was normal depth, the flooding was localized just to the river area. There was some loose sand in the palmetto scrub near the Jones East trailhead though, that area dries out fast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Snowhill is only a 7/10 in perfect conditions (which is about twice a year). Looks like y'all hit it at it's worst.

Best time to go there is after a decent rain but not too much. Hardens up the loose sand a bit and doesn't flood over. Actually had a perfect day about 5-6 weeks ago.

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by cnsaguy View Post
    Snowhill is only a 7/10 in perfect conditions (which is about twice a year). Looks like y'all hit it at it's worst.

Best time to go there is after a decent rain but not too much. Hardens up the loose sand a bit and doesn't flood over. Actually had a perfect day about 5-6 weeks ago.
    Man, I spent years riding there in my early days of MTBing, but 7/10 is a bit kind if you ask me. I'd give it a high 5 or maybe 6 at absolute best... but most of the time less. The other thing is ticks. the place is filled with them. I've had more ticks on me from riding there in one day than all the other ticks i've picked up in my entire life. yuck. I give you guys credit for suffering though it, but i'd rather drive somewhere else twice as far to ride. Not trying to hate, just sayin...
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    was out there today and it was a bit sandy. has anyone else seen the wild hogs on the trail? I ran into about 6 baby ones today (15lbs each or so) but turned around and got away before mom came out to ruin my day. also saw lots of holes from them on the ridgeline trail

Trailhead Poseur
    Yeah, about two weeks ago I came across 3 tiny (under 10-lbs.) black piglets on the trail. They tried to hide from me by huddling together, burying their faces in the weeds on the side of the trail, and squealing really loud. Did a quick U-turn before mom came to the rescue.

mtbr member
    I ran into a Momma & 3 Pigglets the day i took these pictures!! Right before i had to turn around..

mtbr member

any weekend updates

thinking of going out monday the 24th, any weekend updates?
    thanks

Trailhead Poseur
    I was in there this past Saturday, and the conditions are still the same. Flooding along the river, but the trails are pretty good away from it.

MTBR Member
    Jun 2012
    I ride out there all the time, never gotten a tick, or seen the wild pigs that dig up the trails. You pretty much have to stick to Ditch of Doom this time of year. Probably be late November before River trail will dry out enough to ride. I usually park at the Flagler trailhead ride in and catch Two Bridges then Sherwood Forest then ride DOD 2 or 3 times then back out the same way. River trail stinks like hell BTW. You can always mix it up by riding laps at Soldier Creek too. That's about it for MTB riding choices here in Orlando.

mtbr member
    I was out there a few days ago,its starting to dry up some.

This is along the river

These are the 2 trees in the 1st picture in this post.

Trailhead Poseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooman View Post
    I ride out there all the time, never gotten a tick, or seen the wild pigs that dig up the trails. You pretty much have to stick to Ditch of Doom this time of year. Probably be late November before River trail will dry out enough to ride. I usually park at the Flagler trailhead ride in and catch Two Bridges then Sherwood Forest then ride DOD 2 or 3 times then back out the same way. River trail stinks like hell BTW. You can always mix it up by riding laps at Soldier Creek too. That's about it for MTB riding choices here in Orlando.
    I live in the neighbourhood right next to the South Flagler trailhead, so that's the way I usually go, too. Though sometimes I'll ride all the way to the old RR bridge and ride along the river and work my way out backwards, finishing with Two Bridges.

I'm in there all the time, and I've only picked up one tick at Snowhill. I don't think it's any worse than any other woodland area around here, use some repellent and you should be fine. I also saw the rows of holes on the trails along the Ditch, but I think those are actually horse tracks because there were also some fresh road apples on the service road by the water crossing.

As of a couple days ago, the water is coming down but it's still flooded along the river. The trails are starting to dry out away from the river, and the sand in the palmetto scrub near the Jones East trailhead is getting soft.