mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Georgia State Parks mountain bike pass price increase

I went to Ft. Yargo to renew our annual family pass. The price has increased from $25 to $30.

mtbr member
    Yep, I noticed the daily fee went up from 2 to 3 dollars at Hard Labor the other day.When I bought my annual pass it was still 25,must have been before xmas but dont remember.If I didnt go to these parks for other reasons I wouldn't buy a annual parking pass or mtn bike pass.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    $2 to $3 -- that's a big increase. I've got to call and see how much revenue they actually got the first year of doing this compared to the previous year. They went into this with absolutely no business plan.

At Ft. Yargo, you can avoid paying for your car by parking here
    Barrow County Leisure Service in Winder, GA | 175 2nd St, Winder, GA
    and riding a greenway to the park. You'd need an annual pass, or come after 5 PM when the office is closed -- they don't require bicycle permits then.

We get an annual car pass for other reasons to. Ours expires end of April, so I may just park there until it gets warm enough to swim, on principle

The perfessor
    - with so many trails outside the st. parks, I just ride everything else............
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've written a few emails staing how poorly planned this was and also giving feedback that many riders choose not to support the park system now, which is a shame. I love the Georgia State Parks and want to support them, but this whole idea was complete bs. Mtn bikers already paid annual fees like everyone else, but built and maintained their own activity on park land with no help from the parks at all, whoch only led to more mtn bikers buying annual passes and increasing revenues. So, what do they do? They add another fee for mountain bike trails and those fees don't go directly toward the trails being built, exoanded or even maintained. It goes to a general use fund and is spent on other areas of the park. So, now a contingent of people who were only beneficial and revenue generating are charged more than others and get no direct benefit from the fees. It's crap.
    Worse still is that sham of a meeting they held at FT Yargo to get "feedback from the mou tain biking community". When everyone showed up, and took time away fro. Work and family, they were basically told that the decision was already made and it was just a courtesy to hear the opinions before the fee was instituted.
    I write occasionally asking for charts of fees, revenues and budgets for trail development and maintenance, they have to give it by law because they are a state entity and are funded by tax dollars to agreat extent.

I have given the feedback that the trail at Ft Yargo is littered and dirtier than I've ever seen it before, and the vast response is that now there are people paud to do that, so no one stops and picks up trash on the trail anymore. I expect if we're payong for it, I have the right to complain and de,and that it be kept in good shape. I just hate the whole way this thing has been handled. I loved riding there.