mtbr member
    May 2005

Gator-hop same as bunny-hop

'Saw my first gator on a trail today while riding Jonathan Dickinson.
    I had gone through a blind corner with good pace and the vegetation was head-high, not much more than shoulder wide, and there it was......
    Fortunately it was only about 3' long and shot into the brush as soon as it saw/heard me, but had this been a full-sizer, things may have been more "interesting"
    Fittingly, it was just before "gator hole" trail which I normally by-pass, but it got me thinking, would a gator-hop be a good last second option ?

mtbr member
    only one way to find out, but you'll only get one shot at it and if you miss!!!
    Last edited by robpad; 05-18-2012 at 05:47 AM.
    29er from now on!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My issue is with the snakes, thankfully I've mastered the "snake hop". It;'s not a hard task to master....
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    only seen the tails of snakes on trails, there getting out of way. snakes usually hear you way before you see them, and they move a lot faster than gators.
    29er from now on!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Saw my first one yesterday at Boyette, I was riding South Abyss and at about the half way mark I looked to my right and saw close to a ten footer sitting on the bank downhill from where I was. As I started to ride off he took off back into the water. He wasn't something I would try and gator hop though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    About a year ago I took a blind corner into the backside of a 7-8' gator on the Raiders trail at UF, was NOT about to try hopping it.
    Suspension and gears are the bastion of the proletariat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I tried to master the Wife-hop. Was not successful. She is not happy

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    it was just before "gator hole" trail
    Sounds like you saw the gator around the Big Burn pond (just before the paved section that leads to gator hole). That's where I saw my first Gator laying across the trail. All he did as I approached was hiss and open his mouth. I waited a few minutes then started to throw sticks at him because he didn't want to move.

BTW: I haven't ridden J.D in a long time because it's been a sand pit. When did you go and how bad is the sand?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RaveOn View Post
    Sounds like you saw the gator around the Big Burn pond (just before the paved section that leads to gator hole). That's where I saw my first Gator laying across the trail. All he did as I approached was hiss and open his mouth. I waited a few minutes then started to throw sticks at him because he didn't want to move.

BTW: I haven't ridden J.D in a long time because it's been a sand pit. When did you go and how bad is the sand?
    Yep, you nailed the spot.... I've been back 6 times since and no more signs of him.

I rode Saturday afternoon and relatively speaking, it was quite good.
    I rode again Sunday morning and surprise, surprise 12 cars parked ....I usually ride later and most of the time I'm the only one there. We had received rain further west, but not at JD.
    Took off Monday, but rode Halpat early today and that was good, then JD at 2:30 and that was pretty dry.
    I really like the challenge /workout JD offers, but now it needs some rain.
    I've also found that the worst conditions at JD are when it's really been dry and then going out during or immediately after the rain. The sand gets heavy/sticky on top, while still really loose and dry underneath..
    Best is to wait until the rain has been absorbed and top layer dried a bit...IMO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    JD used to be great before Wilma and Francis came for a visit (and the fire). Now a large portion of the trail is exposed to 100% sun. Its a shame because you could fly there. Now you must wait for a monsoon. A full day of rain isn't enough. Heck, I remember when flooding was an issue there (near half pipe section)