mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Gatlinburg / I-40 trails

Hey looks like a family reunion is shaping up for July in the Gatlinburg/PForge area and I will be tasked with gathering Aunts and others from OK through AR and then along I40 to where ever it is we stay (sould use advice on hotels too). So I have two requests: 1 where to ride in the area, I understand the Natl Park is off limits but what about the local towns? Any parks, forests etc. with trails?
    2 What is available along the I40 corridore, on the way back I may not have as many relatives and could make a stop or two on the way back to OK.

will work to bike
    Jul 2006
    well right before you hit Nashville on I-40 you can stop at Montgomery Bell. Great trail!

I'd rather be riding!
    While in Gatlinburg you can take a scenic drive over the Smokey Mountains to Cherokee, NC. Travel down past Bryson City to the Nantahalla National Forest and hit the Tsali Trails. Its about 60 miles from Gatilnburg. When your done make sure you head on over to the NOC for some kayaking, whitewater rafting or just spectating.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I strongly and very highly suggest you stop in the Smokey Mountain Brewery. Their Black Bear Ale is my favorite bear of all time. I visit once a month just to stock up on it!