mtbr member

Gainesville Florida, "The Rock" trail information?

Probably moving to Gainesville soon. Anybody have any contact info for trailwork parties and activities related to the new "Rock" trail? Also any info on its future ... is it a permanent trail or will it be developed soon? That kind of thing. Considering buying a house and that area of town is definitely one of the areas I'm looking at. Would be nice to be close to a fun trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    well i checked this trail out myself for the first time maybe a week and a half ago. it's pretty typicall for the area. starts of with a lil more technical section then goes into some rooted single track. theres one really quick smooth section that i enjoyed a lot. it seems pretty permanent, but it is in an area thats been getting more developed. it seems to be sponsored by a local church which is a little strange, but if its on their property it may help its longevity. check out rogersunderland.com for more info

yeah, uh............bikes
    Definately check out RogerSunderland.com lots of trail information.

The Rock trail is on property owned by "The Rock" church, there was a thread a long time ago talking about the "new" trail there, try a search for it. It was a decent trail when I was up in gainesville, although I only rode it three times maybe, San Felasco isn't too far and is an incredible ride in terms of mileage, scenary, and fun.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Yeah and even thought it is an "in town" trail it takes just as long to get out there as it does to go to San Felasco because you have to drive down Newberry. The Rock just didn't do it for me, I went once and I would rather just drive to Felasco or Santos if I was going to ride.

Where is my mind?

The Rock okay, but lots of real trails nearby

I just moved down here last August and got back into the mountain biking scene after a long hiatus. The Rock is fun and not bad for a free trail. The church thing is a bit wiggy, but then there a dozen churches in that little stretch coming from I75. Hey, if they're willing to support a mountain bike park they're all right with me (even if odd). Keep your eyes open, I had to U-turn about 3-4 times just to find it my first time there. As others have said, the beginning is a bit technical, with a medium sized drop not too far from the start. Unfortunately there is only one drop like it. Its got a few fast descents and a good twisty and knobby trail. Overall, the trail is good for a warm up or to just to get the edge off. San Felasco is nearby (just under 15 minutes north) and for $2.00 it is a great workout, with about 24 miles of fast and bumpy XC trail riding. SF is the best trail in the Gainesville area and has probably the best, pure, hill climbing in Florida (with no drops to help you out). Razorback ($5) is about half an hour away, in Reddick, and is arguably one of the best trails in Florida. Heading south, about an hour to two hours is the best collection of trails in Florida with Santos, Alafia and a sleu of other trails.
    Last edited by Cyclopod; 03-15-2006 at 12:06 PM.

I ride bikes
    Apr 2006
    The Rock is a little over 3 miles long - nothing too difficult. I like San Felasco a lot too. Razorback is amazing - be prepared though and make sure you and your bike are in good condition before riding! I busted my ass more than a few times.