Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

GA race, The Snake on Pinhoti Trail

I am thinking about making the trip from Michigan to do this race on Jan 4. Has anyone on this forum done it before? A few questions:

1. How's the trail? Hardtail or Full Suspension?
    2. What is expected weather in Dalton GA on Jan 4th?
    3. How does this race rate on the "epic-ness" scale?

mtbr member
    Here is the race link: Race Information

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    There is no such thing and expected weather in GA especially this time of year. Could be 70 sunny and beautiful, could be 12 and icy and wet and blowing. Very volatile and fast swings, pack for every extreme and inbetween or you will be without what you need on race day.

mtbr member
    Weather is the big variable that time of year. I've heard stories of nipple deep water crossings in freezing temps. That said I'll be there. There's a pre-ride on 12/7, I'll know more about the course for you then but I hear its pretty legit.

mtbr member
    Cool... thanks for the info... I look forward to seeing about the pre-ride.

mtbr member
    don't let the distance deceive you THE SNAKE is The Real Deal!!!
    Earn The Buckle! Yes earn it it is cold, it is wet it is rocky and root, did I say ROCKY!!! YEs all there FS rd single track up and wicked downhill with tech trail where you gotta pay attention or eat it! While you are riding (example 2yrs ago 20*, snow flurries etc) you are thinking why Lord WHY!?! When you are done...you wanna do it again!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    In terms of what to ride I would ride FS but that's me. There are definitely plenty hard tails and even some people on rigid lol.

Difficulty is a relative term so it's tough to say IMO it's very knarly. A to. Of rocks and some very steep difficult climbs. Definitely the one of the toughest I have ridden.

mtbr member
    I live just up the road and as an example of weather, its mid 60's today. Two days ago it was 27 when I got off work in the AM. Can be a nasty trail, bring your best gear and bike.

mtbr member
    Ooooh, now I'm just getting excited!

mtbr member
    It is a very demanding trail with parts that flow and some that don't. It takes across 3 ridges (small mountains) and parts of it are very rocky. There is a lot of climbing with a few climbs you may have to walk. Stream crossings and the scenery is pretty nice. AS for the weather...anything goes! It could e mild to very cold and snowing. If I had my guess...it will be fairly cold and frozen.
    Too wet to ride!

mtbr member

Re: GA race, The Snake on Pinhoti Trail

I know I'm looking forward to it, I'll be coming up from Florida, hopefully for all 3 34 milers.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

Re: GA race, The Snake on Pinhoti Trail

Quote Originally Posted by evenslower View Post
    Weather is the big variable that time of year. I've heard stories of nipple deep water crossings in freezing temps. That said I'll be there. There's a pre-ride on 12/7, I'll know more about the course for you then but I hear its pretty legit.
    Evenslower (or anyone else who knows), is there any info on the dec 7 pre-ride? I see it listed on the site, but how does that work?
    Never mind, I just found info on facebook for the preride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloriDave View Post
    Evenslower (or anyone else who knows), is there any info on the dec 7 pre-ride? I see it listed on the site, but how does that work?
    Never mind, I just found info on facebook for the preride.

You show up (at the time specified) and they will shuttle you and your bike to the start, like they do for the race. You can start when you want and take as long as you want to ride it.

mtbr member
    OK, I am officially registered. I am going to have to do the Feb race due to schedule conflicts.

I am very excited to see what the trails in northern GA look like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If I want to race all 3, do I have to pay 3 times or do I pay one fee and race once, twice, or three times.

mtbr member
    Pay once, ride it up to three times. I personally have paid but can make it there in January. I will do February for sure. Not sure if I can make it there for March yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Here is a quick video of one of the more difficult sections in case you haven't seen it yet.

Snake Creek Gap Feb 6 2010 - horrific rocks! - YouTube

A beast of a trail for sure.

mtbr member
    Wow, awesome! It looks like it will be worth the drive to get there. I think I had better start training...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    SCG is the one event I look forward to every year. That being said, and I know you don't want to hear this, but I am not sure it's worth driving down from MI. It's a ~4hr mtb ride. Good climbs, good downhills, big rocks, big roots, point to point, but it's still a medium length mtb ride.

As others have said, weather is totally unpredictable. First year I did it, my camelback was frozen 10 minutes into the race. Last year or the year before it snowed for an hour. Just pray the water isn't high!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I understand how it might look from the outside... a long drive for a short race... My take:

Unique race on interesting terrain (from a MI perspective) ...
    Something to train for through the what are traditionally the fat gaining months...
    A chance for a friend and I to get away for 2 days...

As far as being deterred by cold weather... Hey, I'm from MI... My last ride was 8 degree and snowing... Even the chance that it might be warm-ish out is a plus...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You will definitely have a good time. If you are not, at least keep telling yourself you are! It's the only way to get through it. The terrain progressively gets tougher, but you'll know when the really hard part is over. It's when you pass under the sign that says finish. If you and your bike escape unscathed consider yourself lucky. You would be one of the few. Matt and the NWGA Sorba team really have a gem of an event and they are all very proud of it.

If you can swing an extra day I would recommend checking out another section of the Pinhoti we call P1, P2, and P3. Georgia gap riding at its finest. Much easier terrain than SGC, although the climbs might be a bit longer. Time-wise, expect it to take about ~10% less time than SCG if you do all 3 gaps. You could easily just do P1-2 or P2-3 if the legs are dead.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Welcome to Georgia!

The average high for January is 50 degrees, but as they say here in Ga, if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.

Snow is possible. The worst-case scenario, ice, is a bit more of a possibility. I live a little southeast of Dalton at a lower elevation, and we typically get a couple of ice storms per year. They may be less of a problem in Dalton since it tends to be colder.

Early January tends to be a bit warmer than mid Jan - early Feb.

Average Weather for Dalton, GA - Temperature and Precipitation

Have fun!

mtbr member
    First day of official winter, about 70 and a tornado watch. Who knows what it'll be like.

mtbr member
    The first leg of this race is just a few days away... The weather forecast looks like 50-ish, though I expect it will be colder on the trail and in the mountains. I am only riding the second race (Feb) so good luck to those riding.

I look forward to seeing race reports, and watching any POV videos you might record.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm doing the time trial for the first time this year. I pre-rode the 2nd portion of the course today (Snake creek parking to the radio towers and then backwards). This trail did not disappoint and is probably the most difficult trail I've ridden. The trail was in good shape and dry. I would imagine some of it might be a little slick after the rain tomorrow but it should be okay.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast