Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    greedy
    Thanks for the report scotty. I'm excited about this one.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    Dying to know... How was the race?

mtbr member
    Great race. Weather cooperated, cold start but you warmed up quick. Infamous creek crossing was not bad. Some rode, some took shoes off and walked (me). Didn't see too much carnage-few flats, broken chain or two, busted wheel. Trail was in great shape but the spots in the sun began to thaw and got slimy part way through. Pretty tough 34 miles especially on a SS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My race was good. It was a little chilly but nice and sunny. Myself and others had problems with our derailleurs and cables freezing up after going through creeks. I was able to get mine shifting again after messing with it. I finished it out strong for me with a 3:52. Definitely the hardest race I've ever done. The best times were Thomas turner at 2:52 and Ezra lusk at 3:13

mtbr member
    Just dodged the weather, we're looking at possible single digits and snow tonight.

mtbr member
    Sounds great. Frozen is certainly better than partially thawed. Sounds like you guys were lucky.

Any videos or pictures?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Best conditions I've ever had there. Trail was near perfect and weather was as good as it gets. My race played out differently than other times, but I'm always at 4hrs +\- 2mins. Was 4:04 this time, but spent a couple of minutes helping a guy with a flat. I started out near the back so the first 7 miles were slower for me, but I'm sure that's the reason I had a little juice left over for dug gap. Cleared all but two sections of dug gap which is significantly better than in the past. I had my fastest time by over for 4 minutes from the base of the wall to the finish. F'ing love this race.

greedy
    I rode the 34 for the first time and had a blast. It is every bit as difficult as advertised. I rode thru the creek with no problems except frozen brakes (until they heated up). But, I was on a rigid ss, so no derailleurs to act up. A buddy of mine said his front derailleur froze after the creek crossing and he was stuck in the little chainring (26t) the whole ride. Of course with 5000' of climbing, if you are gonna be stuck in one I guess that is better than the big one.

My advice: 1) Don't fear the creek. I worried the most about it and it was over and done before I knew it. 2) Save some gas for the second half, especially after the last rest stop. After the climbing in the first half and the climb from the parking lot midway, the rocks are just waiting to break you spirit.

All in all a great, satisfying challenge. I can't wait 'til #2. I'll be working on my sustained climbing and hope it pays off with the energy left to ride stronger in the rock gardens.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    This was my first time attempting the snake. I rode my rigid singlespeed (SSOD). I honestly thought the first 17 was harder than the second 17. The second half was more technical, but IMO the first 17 was more physically demanding. I ran 32x20, but next race I will be running at least 32x21 with suspension up front. The down hills got really choppy and starting wearing on my upper body. I finished in 4:32. Me and a buddy rode the whole thing together. There is no doubt in my mind that I will be sub 4 on one of the last two. I can't wait for February 1st.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymchanson View Post
    My race was good. It was a little chilly but nice and sunny. Myself and others had problems with our derailleurs and cables freezing up after going through creeks. I was able to get mine shifting again after messing with it. I finished it out strong for me with a 3:52. Definitely the hardest race I've ever done. The best times were Thomas turner at 2:52 and Ezra lusk at 3:13

Ezra Lusk....the Motocross rider?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Yes it was him

mtbr member
    Can anyone provide some details about the aid station setup? How frequent, what did they have... ?

mtbr member
    Two stations on the 34 if I remember right, one at the halfway point Snake Creek parking lot and other about 3/4 of the way through at the end of a gravel road climb where you head back into the woods right before it starts to get rocky. Had water, Heed, bananas, I think a couple of other food items but not sure. Pretty much the basics and well supplied with them.

mtbr member
    I am getting ready to head down from Michigan tomorrow morning. I am seeing some crazy weather down there in the news. Does anyone have a weather / trail report from Dalton? What should we expect?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Should be perfect weather by Saturday. First few miles and other areas will be a bit sloppy, but I wouldn't even think about canceling the trip. It's rare we get to start with temps above freezing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Metro Atlanta temperatures are expected to be 60 degrees on Saturday so you will be fine. Coming from Michigan you would have a good laugh at what the inches of snow does around here lol.
    Last edited by Atl-Biker; 01-31-2014 at 11:24 AM.

mtbr member
    It was below 10 degrees this morning with a couple inches of ice. Gonna be high 50's this weekend. Not sure how the northerners would get around on a few inches of ice covering the roads?

mtbr member
    It will be interesting to see what the thaw does to the creek crossing... Should I bring floaties?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I bet there are going to be a lot of soft spots after a couple days of thawing. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymchanson View Post
    I bet there are going to be a lot of soft spots after a couple days of thawing. Hopefully it won't be too bad.
    I'm thinking the same thing. Hope it's windy the next couple of days to help dry things out but I'm thinking we'd be better off with the freezing temps. Gonna be like riding in peanut butter in places. No bueno on a SS. How much snow did they get in Dalton? I'm in Canton and we had about 4 in. Gone now except for the shady spots, as in mostly between the trees ; )

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigb2000 View Post
    It was below 10 degrees this morning with a couple inches of ice. Gonna be high 50's this weekend. Not sure how the northerners would get around on a few inches of ice covering the roads?
    I hear you man, it was bad. But at the end of the day it was 2-3 inches of snow and the way the state government reacted IMO was unacceptable. I can tell you this though, when you need to go down a hill and then go up a hill right after, don't slow down when you get to the bottom of the hill. Momentum is your friend.

mtbr member
    so how'd you do xycarp? was it worth the trip?

mtbr member
    Wow... It was fantastic. A well run event, over some awesome trails.

I felt great for the first 3/4 of the race... then hit some very rocky climbs that stopped me in my tracks. I walked several of the rocky-er climbs near the end... "The Wall"? Insane! I of course had to walk the whole thing. We don't get much of that rocky stuff in MI.

My immediate post race description to my wife via text was... "Awesome, Horrific"... It was unlike anything I had done previously, and a definite must do.

One last comment... The community was awesome. Everyone was very welcoming.

a GREAT event!

mtbr member
    Sweet, glad you enjoyed. My singular comment about the wall is simply "why?".

If you ever find yourself headed this way looking for some local intel let me know. Plenty of great stuff around here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Glad to hear you had a good time! I thought Jan. was the best conditions I have seen....until Sat. It was near perfect. I can't remember the last time i rode in shorts and a ss bike jersey.

What time did you post? Bet you knock off a solid 15% next time. Do you plan on coming for March?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast