Formerly of Kent

GA race bike suggestions???

I'm moving from OR to GA soon to begin my military career. While I won't have much time to ride initially, as I progress in my education, I will have more and more free time to allocate to riding.

Currently, I live in an area that features climbs and descents that are pretty darn steep; I can hit 40mph on a singletrack descent if I really let it loose and lay off the brakes. And, these descents have their fair share of brake bumps and the occasional root balls, "staircase", and drops. As such, most people ride 5" or 6" FS bikes. Being a "pro" XC racer, though, I'm willing to sacrifice a wee bit of downhill speed and comfort for uphill efficiency. As such, I ride a ~22lb Giant Anthem X.

I think I'm of average technical ability; on anything rocky, rooty, tight and twisty I can hang with anyone in town. When it gets crazy fast, I lose my nerve a bit and get on the brakes more than others.

So, in essence, I'm asking this:

What do you guys suggest for an XC race bike in the Southeast? I'm really interested in trying out a Cannondale Flash 26er, but I have no clue if that bike will be appropriate for the terrain in GA.

mtbr member
    Where in GA will you be? N Ga, and S Ga are very different, terrain wise.

The Ax is a great bike for most everything in GA. I went from a 5" Stumpy, to the Ax, and it has been the perfect balance of quick steering, and plush suspension (for me).... although, I don't really race.

Unless you just want a new bike, I think you're probably set.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    What you have is fine for Georgia races. I have a yeti asr-c with and it is perfect, although I really want to try a 29er hardtail for an extended amount of time to see what all the fuss is about. Some trails are moderately technical but nothing too crazy except for maybe a few in north Georgia but nothing as gnarly as Pisgah National forest if you are familiar with that. Alot of trails around the metro ATL area are fast and smooth. As for the race courses we race, it is a mixed bag. Some moderately technical, some not really but most are really fun courses. The serc series wich encompasses the southeast is really well run and the race courses are usually fun. What base are you moving to?

Formerly of Kent
    Gentlemen - my apologies for the late response.

I'll be at Ft. Benning for about the next year. Not sure how that influences your responses, but that's what I know at this point.

Thanks!