Man up
    Sep 2010

FSC #4 Alafia, who's going and questions

I'm checking the calendar trying to schedule my first race and it looks like Alafia is going to be it. However, I can't find much information on it such as: how far/long is the race, when is the awards ceremony or dinner afterwards, swag drawings, etc. Anyone have any clue when these things normally get over? I'm thinking of running the first wave at 9:30 but I have a commitment in the evening back in Gainesville and am curious how my timeline will look.
    I also have questions about classification: I'm considered a beginner, seeing how it's my first race, but I'll also be on a singlespeed. Does riding a singlespeed preclude you to that category or can I still ride Cat 4? Is Cat 4 still a full-length ride? I don't want to drive 2.5 hours to ride 6 miles. If Cat 4 is a shortened ride, can I register Cat 3 having never raced before?
    Thanks guys,
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

I hate that name.
    Keep in mind that I haven't raced since 2007, but I doubt Goneriding has changed their procedures all that much. They run an excellent race, very professional...

You'll be in the white wave, which starts at 11:30, according to the flier. Awards are usually within an hour or so after the race at the park. The big ceremony/dinner is only after the series finale at Santos. You can ride any bike you want (as long as its in good working order) in the regular classes, SS class is obviously SS only. XC-4 (novice) class is often a shortened course via less laps. The course is usually* a 6 or so mile lap, XC-3 (beginner/ base) classes do 2 laps. "Beginner" as in beginner racers, not beginner riders. You'll want to race XC-3 age group, unless you're over 200lbs, then go with XC-3 clydesdale.

*it wasn't at last year's Alafia race
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Aw crud, I must've misread the flier, I thought that you could choose your wave. So it sounds like I want to run Cat 3, sweet.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Last year they did it as a one lap race for XC-4 and XC-3. XC-3 did a 10 mile lap and XC-4 did a 9.5 mile lap. They cut out a more difficult section for the novice class.

Alafia is a difficult race, it is fun though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'll be there for sure. Gainsville Hails Trails is this weekend.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    I was hoping to get to do the Haile's race this weekend, but apparently I told my wife a month ago that I'd attend a wedding. Unfortunately all of this was said while I was under the influence of alcohol and a little skin. Now it is rearing it's ugly head. Ah well, some more time to train.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

\m/{-_-}\m/
    Alafia was a tough race last year but it was arguably the most fun. The course was really challenging and had a great layout that pretty much covered every type of terrain that the park has to offer.

As scuuder3 said XC3 was one 10 mile lap. It was super hot last year and hydration was an issue for a lot of riders due to the long laps. They called the whole course an open feed zone which was really nice since I had support there for me. I raced 2 laps in XC 2 and I went through 4 bottles when I normally would only use two. There was a guy with a hose soaking people down between laps and he was my hero!

Man up
    Sep 2010
    What do you mean "open feed"? People can meet you on the trail and give you water?
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

\m/{-_-}\m/
    Yep