Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I wreck alot

FS 26" - What are you riding?

I rarely see any 26" bikes here in FL anymore while out on the trail. I'm curious, how many of you haven't yet switched to larger wheels. What full-suspension 26" bikes are you riding in the Southeast?

SC Heckler here.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not intending to start a war about which wheel size is best for our region. I'm just generally interested in seeing what you're riding.
    Last edited by SoWal_MTBer; 11-28-2012 at 08:42 AM. Reason: flame prevention...

mtbr member
    Added a drop post and wider bars since then.......Love it All 5 of my mtn bikes are 26"....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have a HT 29er and just got a Trek Fuel EX8 which is 26". I am really liking the more twitchy feel of the 26". The 29er feels a little faster on flat/rooty trails, but the 26er is just a lot fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm riding an Epic 26er in south florida because I got a killer deal on it. As soon as I can afford the scalpel 29er I will be switching, though.

mtbr member
    Riding a stumpy here but saving for a 29er maybe
    2011 Trek 4300....
    2009 Specialized Elite Stumpjumper....

PMK
    mtbr member
    In South Florida, 99 Cannondale Super V with a Marzocchi Bomber Z1 up front and Fox Twin Clicker in the rear.

I just can't come to terms with the few 29's I have ridden, you can't steer the bike by sliding the rear wheel into the corner.

The bike I would want but no plans to buy would be a Ventana El Chucho 69r or a Zeus 650B.

The nice thing about a 26 these days is many of the trails have more "flow" created by 29 bikes and it allows much faster corner speeds on the 26 also. But the 26 retains the ability to turn inside a 29 almost at will in technical terrain.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeti ASR-5C with XO and Fox Float/RP23. Rocket.

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    2 month old Cannondale Trail SL2 29er. Great ride so far, would love to get out more but work seems to consume my life..... Doesn't help that it gets dark at 4:30 now either. Just up the road from you too in Crestview otherwise known as Crestvegas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FS 26" - What are you riding?-cdale_nov_reduced.jpg  

\m/{-_-}\m/
    2008 Cannondale Rush Carbon. Have ridden it all over FL, GA and NC but I'm hoping to go to a carbon 29er hardtail soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Rigid 29er ss and another rigid ss that is a 26er. Use the 26 mostly to tow my 5 yo on her trail-a-bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Just built up a new 26" HT w/Rock Shox SID WC forks - absolutely love it. So many great "leftover" deals on 26" frames and parts right now. Previous bike was a 26" Specialized Epic (2006 or 2007). I try to sneak away whenever I can on business trips and ride. Rented XC full suspension 29ers in Bend, OR and Ft Collins, CO over the summer/fall and had a blast. No interest in switching from my 26" at home though and, for me, glad I switched back to HT. That said, I plan to keep renting 29ers when on the road in the mountains (and hopefully a 650B one of these days too).

Glad we have choices - so many great designs, geometries and wheel sizes to enjoy. ...and they are all f-u-n to ride.

nero
    yetiASR5.

DILLIGAF
    Ibis Mojo SL

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Not in FL but I still prefer the 26" wheels. I have a SC Nomad and Ibis Mojo SL. I do have a 29r, SC Tallboy AL, but really prefer the crisper handling of my 26" bikes. Each has a purpose.
    i ride bikes

bust a move
    I have two: 04 SC heckler, 08 Titus motolite. The heckler is pretty much a loaner/beater/back up bike and doesn't see much action.
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    2006 Epic FS. I don't understand how the 29's have taken over the market. I like the technical challenge of riding over roots, etc. and having a nimble bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have spent a good bit of time riding around GA and AL (homebase in NC). Chicopee, Swayback, Bartram/Pleasant Hill, West Point Lake and so on. I ride a Tomac Automatic 120 mainly which is a 26" FS bike. When the winter comes and the wet grit of southeast red clay comes out, I ride a Haro Beasley 650b single speed hardtail much more often. Both bikes have their strengths, I think the twisty singletrack lends itself better to a 26" bike, but whatever gets you out there and pedaling...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Fuel EX8 here. Looking at a Trek Stache 8 though
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Zipper
    1997 Schwinn S-20 and a KH-24 Muni until I can get my Custom Ventana ECDM out here
    Zipper aka Rob

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtcha View Post
    1997 Schwinn S-20 and a KH-24 Muni until I can get my Custom Ventana ECDM out here

Zipper, I'm not exactly sure where you live now in the Southeast, but when you get that ECDM into Florida, let's hook up and ride some trails on the tandems.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    2012 Scott Spark 70......26" wheels. I love this bike, and I can go anywhere with it. I still have to develop my technical riding skills, but I am enjoying the learning process on this bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FS 26" - What are you riding?-img_4975.jpg  

Zipper
    Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Zipper, I'm not exactly sure where you live now in the Southeast, but when you get that ECDM into Florida, let's hook up and ride some trails on the tandems.

PK
    Right now I am about a block from Universal Studios Orlando, I hope to have the ECDM here by early 2013 if all works out but I will have to find a new Stoker. I have a couple possibility and may be moving to Ft Lauderdale area. looking at a place about 3 miles from Markham Park.
    Zipper aka Rob

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

ocal

Im in Ocala. Ride a 26 Jamis

mtbr member
    Rode a Scott Genius 750 and have to say.............I need to start saving my money for that ride!!!!!!
    Last edited by iamspartacus; 02-05-2013 at 12:12 PM.

mtbr member
    26" Ellsworth Truth converted to a 650b front end (B6 configuration) with a 1x drivetrain for the last 3 years. I also just built up a 650b carbon hardtail rigid forked with a 29" front wheel (NinerBee configuration) also 1x drivetrain. I prefer the B6 Truth for general XC riding. The NinerBee rigid is great fun (17.7lbs!) but only on certain smooth trails.

Once Ellsworth comes out with a 650b Truth, I'll be going to that. For me, 650b is the "right" wheel size.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast