Thread: Franklin, TN

spooge is gone!

Franklin, TN

Heading down from WV for the July 4th weekend. Any suggestions on where I can sneak away for a few rides?
    "Can see forever, but I can't see anything"

mtbr member
    Hamilton Creek, Lock 4 and there are a few others in the Nashville area. Look up Sorba site: http://sorbamidtn.org/

mtbr member
    Also if you don't mind driving a bit or can swing thay way on your way back home, their is Racoon Mtn in Chattanoga. A bit further to the east along the NC/TN line is Tanasi Trail System along the Ocoee River... both well worth the drive.

From WV, I assume you have been to Snowshoe? Good? Bad? Planning a trip there in August.

Hope this helps.

spooge is gone!
    Thanks for the tips. Snowshoe, cool place but they've geared most of the riding to downhill. A little cross country there. If that's what your looking for, drive about 20 min down the road to Slatyfork. Sweet, sweet singletrack. Just do a search on the WV forum. Or another awesome place is Davis, WV (Canaan Valley), miles of great singletrack in hip little town. Come up in July to Slaty, for our annual Slatyfork Shuffle (again check this out on the WV Forum)

mtbr member
    I am not into DH (yet), just do XC right now, but I want to give it a go. SS just finished a slalom/pump track that I want to check out. Thanks for the tips, we'll definitely check out Slatyfork and Canaan.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Post up here and ask: http://www.nationalmountainbike.com

I was in Nashville last week and posted on that board one evening. Had a ride lined up at Montgomery Bell for the next morning in no time flat.

Speaking of which - Montgomery Bell (Yellow Trail in particular) was quite interesting and challenging to me. I ride Raccoon Mtn pretty much every day, the MB stuff was a big departure. Just don't go alone if you can help it, really easy to get turned around and pretty well lost.

Raccoon will most certainly be worth a stop if you can swing it.

Might also check out AEDC (I haven't ridden it, but folks seem to like it). The Sewanee Perimeter Trail is also interesting - lots of exposure in places, but beautiful scenery.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There is always the much overlooked Franklin-Marion State Forest, which can be ridden as a 21 mile loop.

Trail Map

It is interesting how the trails are listed only as "hike" trails on the map when all are opened to mountain biking and the newest 12 mile addition was constructed by a mountain biker.

169065 S. Pittsburgh Hwy Mtn Rd, Sewanee, TN 37375 (Google Maps cannot locate this address, so use this link.)

spooge is gone!
    Looks like I have all day to ride on Friday. Anyone up for hitting some trails?