white boy extraordinaire

Franklin State Forest

Has anyone ridden there? There is a 19 mile singletrack loop there that interests me.

Any info appreciated.
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

-the Dude

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

This is the information you are looking for....

MAP

It is a decent trail system that is shared with horses. The horses have near zero exposure to mountain bikers and will most likely be very timid and or scared if you meet one on the trail. So if you see a horse rider approaching, please pull off the trails and keep talking so to calm their horses. Mountain biker / horse relations are pretty good there, so lets all do our part to keep them that way.

The horses usually stick to the west rim trail (which is actually on the east side of the map - it is the west rim of the valley). The stuff on the other side is newer. I rode it shortly after it was constructed and it was a little slow as the trail bed needed more traffic to pack it down.

When I rode it the new trail on the west side of the road was tighter and twistier than I prefer. It seemed as though the people who constructed the expansion didn't want to cut any trees, including saplings, if they could avoid it. Because trails tend to straighten as the line develops, the trail might be less tight and twisty than when I rode it.

On a scale from one to ten I would probably rate it a seven. Again, I rode it right after the expansion was cut so I might increase my rating the next time I ride it.

white boy extraordinaire
    The force is strong with you jeffery. Thanks for the info.
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

-the Dude

mtbr member
    I rode there once:

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The trails are well described, along with a better trail map, in the book "Off Road Trails" by Elle Colquitt and Jon Livengood, on page 34. The book should be available in local area bike shops.