Thread: Fort Yargo???

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Fort Yargo???

I'm planning to go to Fort Yargo tomorrow. It'll be my first time offroad on my new Jamis Dragon 29 Sport hardtail. I haven't taken a bike offroad in 4-5 years. Should I stick to the 7 mile inner-loop, or is it even worthwhile to ride? Would the 12 mile outer loop be too much for a first time rider? I'm just trying to get a good feel for my bike and have some fun. What are your thoughts?

Clydesdale 29er
    The outer loop will be fine if you take your time. Stay off the Monster Mile loop. It's off the back of the dam. The trail offers moderate cardio with very little technical which is limited to mostly rooty sections.
    MxV=Clydesdale

mtbr member
    The Inner Loop has very poor trail markings. Its easy to end up deadended in various campsites and having to backtrack.

The Outer Loop is much better marked.

I agree with Baine that the Outer Loop is very ridable for a beginner/rusty rider. You may walk it in a couple areas, but who cares?

Also, the outer loop is only 12+ miles if you do the Monster Mile and Three Step Hill loops. I'd also recommend skipping MM (its harder/way more tiring clockwise). Three Step is pretty easy though. If you skip the extra loops, you'll be closer to 10 miles complete. Add in Three Step for another mile.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I went out for my first ride yesterday, but got there a little late, So, we made half the outer loop and then doubled back to the parking log on the inner loop from the dam. I'm a new rider, and riding on the more narrow trail at night with a headlamp was fun, but depth perception wasn't all that great, and I'm not completely comfortable with my new bike yet. So, we decided to cut it short and make sure we didn't regret it deeper in. Great time, though! Thanks for the advice. I got the messages last night when I got home, and you're right about the inner loop trail. We could have actually made the outer loop in the same amount of time, considering we had to double back to find the inner loop at least 2-3 times, costing us time that would have been spent continuing on the outer loop. When I go back this weekend, I'm going to just do the outer loop, and make sure I get there in time to finish before dark.

mtbr member
    I've never ridden there at night. Yargo is an excellent after work ride, but with the days growing shorter, I may be doing just that in the next month or so.

Glad you had fun. I'm sure you'll have even more when you get the chance to do the whole trail this weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hit Yargo again this afternoon and got in 10 miles. I cut out a few sections of the trail because I was alone and it was getting dark quick, while I was on the far side of the lake. So, I strapped on the headlamp again and tried to haul back to the truck. But, 2nd ride and I got in 10 miles! Probably not too impressive to the rest of you, but I'm learning, and getting better, and loving every second of it.

mtbr member
    Maybe we crossed paths. I rode it with a late start yesterday too. Had to skip MM to avoid running out of daylight. Went a bit slower than normal too to reduce any chances of crashes since I didn't want to mess up my vacation that starts tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack View Post
    Maybe we crossed paths. I rode it with a late start yesterday too. Had to skip MM to avoid running out of daylight. Went a bit slower than normal too to reduce any chances of crashes since I didn't want to mess up my vacation that starts tomorrow.
    Might have. I got passed by quite a few people. I skipped MM, too. I was alone and didn't want to be out in the dark again. I did that on Monday with a friend, and just wanted to get out by dark. I cut off part of the outer loop, hit the inner loop, and then hit the road for the half mile to get back to the truck. I plan to go back this weekend. I have a lot to work on if I'm going to get good at this.