Thread: Fool's Gold

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Fool's Gold

Could we have had any better weather today? What a great day to ride.

Thoughts are with the guy who was rumored to have a broken his hip descending Bull. He was out there a ways so I imagine the trip out was very tough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yeah, I'd be interested in more info on the downed rider... from my brief exposure to the situation it appeared that the overweight EMS crew was not about to climb up the trail to get him out and the volunteers were basically taking his gear and heading up themselves...

mtbr member
    Did they have an ambulance/EMS crew on site? I think they had to wait and call 911, then EMS got lost on the way to 2/3 sag.
    Truffle Shuffle

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Don't think so. There wasn't any equipment on site when I went by the first time.

mtbr member
    That is pretty disappointing. I don't know how many people were registered, but odds are with more than 200 people racing a course after a good rain that someone is going to get injured. The single track is fast and steep, and Winding Stair was super sketchy at speed. They should be forced to have an EMS crew on site to be part of the NUE series races. I don't know that I'll be racing Fool's Gold or Southern Cross again unless they have a crew assigned to the race.

Thoughts and prayer go out to the injured rider. Anyone have any news?
    Truffle Shuffle

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I was with the injured rider up on Bull Mtn and was part of the effort to get him out of the woods. The race organizers had NO medical personnel on course during this race. We called 911 from the accident site and coordinated things from there. We all accept the risks of a bad injury doing this sport, but part of the reason we pay a premium for an NUE race is because its "supported". By paying that extra amount, you expect a course thats well marked and marshalled, aid stations that are stocked, a meal at the end and emergency medical care if necessary. The fact that that rider was on the ground with a busted femur, a dislocated hip and a broken collar bone for 4 hours and was only 3 miles from Aid 2 was absolutely unacceptable! It doesn't take a genius to figure out where the dangerous spots on the course are going to be and to have personel staged nearby to assist in the event of an accident.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by roscar View Post
    I was with the injured rider up on Bull Mtn and was part of the effort to get him out of the woods. The race organizers had NO medical personnel on course during this race. We called 911 from the accident site and coordinated things from there. We all accept the risks of a bad injury doing this sport, but part of the reason we pay a premium for an NUE race is because its "supported". By paying that extra amount, you expect a course thats well marked and marshalled, aid stations that are stocked, a meal at the end and emergency medical care if necessary. The fact that that rider was on the ground with a busted femur, a dislocated hip and a broken collar bone for 4 hours and was only 3 miles from Aid 2 was absolutely unacceptable! It doesn't take a genius to figure out where the dangerous spots on the course are going to be and to have personel staged nearby to assist in the event of an accident.
    WOW! I am amazed by this. Race organizers need to be more on the ball when organizing an event with many riders of all skill levels. Down here we have EMS periodically driving into the actual trail system and checking off a list of the emergency stations located throughout. I happen to be riding when they were doing this at Markham Park a few weeks back. We did have a medi-vac situation (femoral artery was ruptured by a handlebar) not too long ago and the rider survived just fine due to the planning EMS and park management do around here. For a race that is part of essential planning IMHO
    It seems to me someone dropped the ball in this event...
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yes, great weather and very fun race. My fourth year riding it.

I don't think anyone dropped the ball. Ambulance and rescue people were on scene at the SAG within 30 minutes, it doesn't get much better than that. Remember we're talking about a 50 mile course here. What made it so difficult was the location the rider crashed in, had to be the worst location on the whole course. Only 3ish miles from the SAG, but that is straight up tough singletrack that vehicles can't go.

Things like this unfortunately happen, glad he's ok.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    To those of us trying to coordinate getting the guy off the mountain, it was very clear that the RO had no contingency plans or available personnel for medical emergencies on course. Again, if this were an unsupported hundy in CO or AZ where everyone is on their own and chips in 5 bucks for a keg at the end, you accept those conditions. An NUE race is supposed to be a different beast. They advertise themselves as being premium supported races and they charge a hefty entry fee for that. Part of that premium is having an RO that has actually thought through the potential emergency issues and has plans in place to deal with them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Very nice of you to stop and help! I understand what you're saying but I honestly don't know what could have been done differently. Emergency services were there so quick. Seems the FG orgainizers took a lot of feedback from last year and IMO made the race MUCH better this year. I would suggest contacting them with any improvements as they seem willing to listen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by roscar View Post
    Just seeing this. It's not strategically placed medical personnel that make me feel safe out there, it's because of guys like you. Thank you for stopping to help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by caladryl View Post
    Very nice of you to stop and help! I understand what you're saying but I honestly don't know what could have been done differently. Emergency services were there so quick. Seems the FG orgainizers took a lot of feedback from last year and IMO made the race MUCH better this year. I would suggest contacting them with any improvements as they seem willing to listen.
    He did not simply stop and help, he stayed with the guy for over 3 hours while ems got their crap together. Assuming you're correct in that the ems showed up in only 30 minutes, that's still 30 minutes that the guy would not have been laying on the ground, going in and out of shock. What could have been done differently is that Eddie could have had ems stationed at least at the start finish but more importantly have a contingency plan for getting someone off of bull. My understanding is that racers and volunteers had to take the stretcher from the ems guys cause they were incapable up making the hike...they were talking about driving a gator up there which I don't think is possible. If it wasn't for the cool heads of an anesthesiologist and a trauma nurse that just happened to be racing that day and gave up their race and rest of their day, I believe the situation could have been worse for the poor guy; hell I would probably have tried to drag him out of there not knowing the damage I could cause.
    We all accept the risks of the race but i would like to think that an nue would have been a little better organized. I was at Shenandoah the previous week and there were red shirt medic guys stationed on nearly every descent. Does anyone know how the guy's doing?

I wreck alot
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarW View Post
    We did have a medi-vac situation (femoral artery was ruptured by a handlebar) not too long ago and the rider survived just fine due to the planning EMS and park management do around here.
    How in the world does that happen?

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by SoWal_MTBer View Post
    How in the world does that happen?
    To set the stage, there is a downhill slope followed by a sharp drop followed by a very tight lefthand turn on Iguana trail in Markham Park.

In case of the injured rider he had done the trail a few times before, but in a moment of not paying attention, he went OTB, fell on his handlebar that was missing both end caps!! and one end of the bar went in his leg cutting the femoral artery. The EMT's were right there, but his friends saved his life by applying pressure on the leg. He got life-flighted out to the nearby trauma center...
    Lesson from this is to have end caps on your handle bars!! Don't ride without them.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT