Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    It's my STUFF

Florida Riders Favorite Tire Combos

I seem to have this itch lately to try some new tires on my bike. What kind of tires are the Florida riders using?

I am currently using a set of IRC Trailbears 2.5 front and 2.25 rear. I have had good results with these tires. I also run a set of Continental Verticals in 2.3.

I ride the typical Florida trails....Sand...Muck....Some firm sections...Roots....did I say Sand? (Fort Pierce trail, JD (pre fire), Halpatiokee, Santos, etc).

Just curious as to what everyone else is using.

Thanks
    Gordi
    [SIZE="5"]"En grisrumpa är fläsk, rök den och det blir skinka."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

more south

i was running maxxis high roller ust 2.3 in front 2.1 in the rear, until a big front puncture that stans couldn't seal. now i have conti gravity ust 2.3 on the front. works great with the psi at 30. at 35 it sucked, but 30 is the magic number with the gravity. i've run kenda kharisma 2.1 front and rear - very, very fast rolling, but too small for the front and no grip. also ran a hutchinson new python 2.1 in the rear. fast tire but broke free in sand climbing at jd. i liked the continental so much this weekend at oleta i'm thinking of running a conti in the back now.

yeah, uh............bikes
    I've been happy with my Tioga DH 2.3 tires. I ride all the places you mentioned and I've never noticed a serious lack of traction or speed. They grip pretty well in the limestone slick stuff (when wet) at Alafia and it feels like I'm riding a paddle tire in the sand at JD.

It's my STUFF

... and if we just ...

d-unit
    I have been interested in the Conti Gravity tires for a while (different type of tread pattern). I do like my Verticals so I could see another set of Contis in the future.

FloridaFish
    I just purchased a 06 Kona Stuff and took the OE Tioga Blue Dragon's off (poor reviews and not suited for trails). I do, however; like the looks of the Tioga Factoy DH in 2.5. I will have to look into those.

It seems the tires I most commonly see in the, "Set up" threads are the Kenda Blue Groove (f) and Kenda Nevegal (r). Has anyone had expeience with these tires on our type of trails?

I could'nt resist (scrathing that itch), I just purchased a set of Geax Sturdys off of E-bay. Eveyone seems to like them for soft trails. I figured I would give them a try (supposed to be high volume).

Gordi

mtbr member
    I run a Kenda Blue Groove/Nevegal combo on both my xc bike and my freeride bike - 2.1 DTC's on my xc, and 2.35 Stick-e's on my freeride. I like that they are a big tire for their size, relatively light, and offer great traction. I use these tires for rides at Carter Road, TOE, Alafia, Santos, and Razorback.

It's my STUFF
    Well, I went to Fort Pierce today and aired down my Trailbears a little more than normal (29 f / 35 r) and had the front end wash out a couple of times (little scary).

Could be the new bike, I am still getting used to the front forks. I think they are set a little to soft / plush with a quick rebound.

I think next paycheck I am going to order a set of the Kenda Blue Grooves and Nevagals and give them a shot.

mtbr member
    Larry at Mountain High Cyclery is a great source for Kenda tires - good prices, fast service.

The DTC (dual tread compound) Nevegal/Blue Groove's roll a bit faster and wear significantly longer than the Stick-E compounds but at the cost of some traction though they still have tons more traction than Nokian NBX's, Panaracer Fire Pro's, and Conti Vertical Pro's (my last 3 sets of tires on my xc bike). The Stick-E's have tremendous traction but they wear very fast. I practically wore my last set out while riding for a week out at Mammoth, however, I'll order another set (this time in 2.5 vs the 2.35's I had last time) when I go out there later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MTB-5O
    Well, I went to Fort Pierce today and aired down my Trailbears a little more than normal (29 f / 35 r) and had the front end wash out a couple of times (little scary).

Could be the new bike, I am still getting used to the front forks. I think they are set a little to soft / plush with a quick rebound.

I think next paycheck I am going to order a set of the Kenda Blue Grooves and Nevagals and give them a shot.
    How'd you like Fort Pierce, I went there on saturday and did a few laps. It felt like they did some work on that jump at the beginning "big dipper", because I was getting way more air and distance than usual. had a blast

I like running a lower pressure at that trail though, it seems to help with the rootiness of trail. I did the same thing on my second lap at Oleta, just way too many roots and rocks for a bouncy tire.

It's my STUFF
    I had a great time there today! Yeah, I was thinking to myself that I caught more air as well!

The local club (Airborne MTB) is doing a great job maintaining that trail. I have'nt ridden it in about a month or so, and I could see a great improvement in just that amount of time.

I am still trying to get my suspension dialed in. I went from my Kona Hoss Dee-Lux (hardtail - 100mm front fork spring only) to a Kona Stuff (hardtail - 130mm front fork with air preload / spring in one side and positive air in the other).

I have the sag at about 20 - 25% and am getting just about full travel (no bottom out). The fork was originally set from the factory with the rebound real slow. I adjusted it one turn and the rebound speed is much faster. It feels a little to soft / plush, so I am going to stiffen it up a little and try again.

It's definately tough dialing in the suspension for the flat leg pumping sections of trail and the rooty, rocky drop/jump sections of trail that populate the florida trails.

I usually run my fork relatively stiff, to prevent bottom out on the occasional jump/drop. I've got a Marz Z1 FR SL, which has positive and negative air adjust and it's a ***** to tune just right, the negative air is really touchy and it kills me to hear the thing top out hard.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I rode WTB Velociraptors for a long time. Cheap, heavy, and slow rolling... but they grip like a mofo. The rear is pretty much a paddle tire. For sand they were sweet.

It's my STUFF
    I was looking at the Velociraptors, but, I like something a little wider than a 2.1

I like to have something more of a high volume tire due to the fact my bike is a hardtail and I weigh 250 lbs.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I'm 220... I thought they made them in a 2.3 but I guess not....

Well now I am on Weirwolf 2.3s and they have been really good so far.

Papa T
    I run Specialized Roller Pro 2.3 up front. It looks more like a 2.5, it is huge and has a lot of rolling resistance. That being said, it has never slipped out on me in sand or on off camber wet roots. I am 6'2" and weight 240+ with gear and love the tons of leverage and grip I get out of that 2.3. It floats over anything in very dry conditions. On the rear I run a Specialized Enduro 2.2 (non-pro so it has wire beads). It is slightly more xc'ish and lighter than the Roller Pro. I have had these tires on here for almost 2 years,

Specialized has come out with some newer stuff since that is probably better and definitely lighter, but I want to get my money's worth out of what I have now.

Weapon of Choice
    Im running kenda Nevegals 2.35 sticky front and rear with my stumpjumper HT, bit heavy and slow rolling but awesome traction and volume. Great on rocks and roots,uphill and down. I ride mostly Oleta park. Mike

It's my STUFF

Ran my Geax Sturdy's yesterday....

I rode Fort Pierce yesterday and was very impressed with theses tires.

I had no problems with traction and they seemed to be more, "comfortable", than the other tires I have tried. I tried running the rear tire at 40psi and the front at 35psi. This worked out to be a good combination. I am still going to order a set of Blue Groove / Nevegals and give them a try.

I also wanted to thank the Airborne Mountain Bike Club for the awesome job they are doing with that trail. I will be joining the club in an effort to save that trail.

Gordi

See Spot bike
    May 2005

Cross roads

Quote Originally Posted by MTB-5O
    I rode Fort Pierce yesterday and was very impressed with theses tires.

Gordi

How is fort pierce looking? I haven't been there in about 2 years. It was in great shape then. I wouldn't mind going back if I knew the trail was in good shape, because it's 70 miles one way. I live down south in Boca Raton and it's a bit of a hall to get there just to turn around because the trail is in bad shape from the last few storms we've had.

Thanks for any update you could provide.

Dave

It's my STUFF
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSpeedWonder
    How is fort pierce looking? I haven't been there in about 2 years. It was in great shape then. I wouldn't mind going back if I knew the trail was in good shape, because it's 70 miles one way. I live down south in Boca Raton and it's a bit of a hall to get there just to turn around because the trail is in bad shape from the last few storms we've had.

Thanks for any update you could provide.

Dave
    Fort Pierce is awesome...the Airborne Mountain Bike Club has done a tremendous job rebuilding this trail.

Go to their web site for some photographs and directions to the new trailhead.

http://www.fortpiercebiketrail.info/
    Last edited by MTB-5O; 03-04-2006 at 12:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    WTB Weirwolfs have been working awesome for me. Pythons are good, but cornering in J.D. sucks with them.

gutfiddle
    I use well worn IRC Serac's on my Sugar2 and they seem to roll fast and hook up in anything. Handled really well at Snowhill last weekend even as sandy as it is, goin to check out ft pierce this saturday since all i hear is how fun it is, I have to see for myself
    I need new tires cause they are old and dryrotten but I hate breaking them in, there is somethin to be said about worn down tires, they roll much faster in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gutfiddle
    I use well worn IRC Serac's on my Sugar2 and they seem to roll fast and hook up in anything. Handled really well at Snowhill last weekend even as sandy as it is, goin to check out ft pierce this saturday since all i hear is how fun it is, I have to see for myself
    I need new tires cause they are old and dryrotten but I hate breaking them in, there is somethin to be said about worn down tires, they roll much faster in my opinion.
    fort pierce has been in great shape for a while now, with a little bit of rain it should be even better. Only a few spots of sugar sand, and a few spots of super slick mud, but overall it's a blast. A couple of laps and some time on the big dipper jump and I'm satisfied for another week.

Also, if you're up for a long drive Markham park is back open and amazing. The trail is a bit dusty right now, but it's gonna rain tomorrow so it should be in great shape for the weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

My big fat greek tire

[SIZE=2]For a couple months now, I have been running on Kenda Komodos. No doubt that they are excellent for climbing or when needing that extra grip is a factor. However, they are not fast rollers; they are pretty slow at coasting. Plus they are fat also.
    [/SIZE]
    [size=4]Jax[/size]

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Good job!

I have kenda nevegal 2.1 in the front and back. They are great at Fort Pierce; I ride the trail a few times a week. I has not rained much since I put them on so I really don'tknow how they work in the extra muddy fort pierce mud, but so far the are freakin great

It's my STUFF
    I have been switching between the Geax Sturdy's and my Continental Vertical's while riding lately. I had my first pinch flat with the Sturdy's a couple of weeks ago just after the "Dance" at Fort Pierce, which is odd, because I have been taking it really easy while riding due to a back / shoulder injury!

I just ordered (two weeks ago) a new set of wheels being built by Larry at MHC. I ordered DT Swiss FR6.1D's, Spokes and Nipples laced to a set of Hadley Hubs.

I went with the bolt on axle in the rear (front is 20mm thru) and will be ordering a set of Nevegal and Blue Grooves in the DTC to go with them. I cant't wait to get them....hopefully I will be ready!

Weapon of Choice

I am currently using a set of IRC Trailbears 2.5 front and 2.25 rear. I have had good results with these tires. I also run a set of Continental Verticals in 2.3. END QUOTE

Are the 2.5 IRC trailbear tire a true 2.5 width? also is it a higher volume style of tire? These tires are priced very low and seem to be a great tire; might be my next choice. Thx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast