mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Florida racing, teach me!

Hey everyone, I'm looking into doing a race probably 6 hour solo. It would be my first race and I ride singlespeed. I looked through a little of the Santos 6 hour stuff but wasn't sure what all I was looking at.
    Can you guys school me on classes, how the race is set up, smaller races to get started, pretty much anything!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Re: Florida racing, teach me!

If you check out www.goneriding.com they have all the info on classes and such.

I think the Florida race season is coming to an end shortly. I'm not going to start racing to next season.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Sorry to minorly thread jack. I wanted to potentially jump into it as well. But I wouldn't even know where to start. So does anyone when season ends or how far through it is?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

I believe the last race in the Coconut Cup is on Feb 24th

It should be on www.goneriding.com

Poke around the site, I found most of the answers I was looking for there.

mtbr member
    Gone riding host the major fla races. The FSC series starts in Sept and ends in Dec. the FSC is where it's at IMO. They put on some awesome races and everyone is super competetive.

The 12 hours of santos is an awesome event. One of the very best in the state IMO. I will be doing the six hour solo on an SS as well. The only option for an SS class is the 12 hour race.

The SERC series starts in March with Haile's trails in Newberry. Make sure you mark this one on your calendar. It's one of the best trails in the state and it is only open twice a year.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    DieselHippie- I ride the Santos trails all the time, and do the occasional race there and elsewhere in the FSC series ( which runs about september to december). Some parts of the trail that will be used for the 12/6 hour event this weekend ( ie the Vortex) would be challenging if you are riding SS. Seen it done, but no way I could do it- I'm an old, geared and FS-riding hack LOL

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The problem I see with most of the good races is they aren't in south florida which is where I am.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    The problem I see with most of the good races is they aren't in south florida which is where I am.
    did you check out the Coconut Cup. 6 races in south florida. All are on the east coast, except #2 which is in Ft Myers/Alva.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have not thanks for the suggestion i'm gonna go check it out now.

Edit: Oh man race #1 was one of my local trails but all the rest of em are 1+ hour drives. On the bright side the last race is very close to some of my family.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I know the SS will be a disadvantage but I'm more confident with it all around riding. I guess what I was wondering more is how does the race work? Does each class go in waves? Is everyone riding the same track? Are there breaks, I thought I glanced over something about lunch in a race. Is each race structured the same? Is there a race that is better for beginners?
    I guess I'm interested in the logistics. Like what I need, water, food, a pit crew and cheering fans?
    What are we talking miles wise 60+ for 6hr solo?

I'm in Gainesville so I go to to San Felasco semi regularly and Santos occasionally.

mtbr member
    Everyone rides the same course. It's ~8 miles. At any given time you could be riding behind someone doing the 12 hr solo, someone on a 12 hr sport team, or a 6 hr solo-er.

Last year there was a Le Mans style start where everyone ran to their bikes up a hill to start. After a few laps things tend to thin out, but the first laps are chaotic.

If you want a break, you take a break, but the object for us solo-ers is to ride non stop for 12 or 6 hours.

I'm doing the six hour on an SS unsupported. Ill have a cooler with my bottles and some bananas by the transition area. Someone handing you bottles would be a plus.

My plan is to finish up the six hour race then start drinking. I'm looking forward to the post ride buzz and heckling the 12 hr racers as much as I am the race haha!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    I have not thanks for the suggestion i'm gonna go check it out now.

Edit: Oh man race #1 was one of my local trails but all the rest of em are 1+ hour drives. On the bright side the last race is very close to some of my family.
    I'm worse off. #2 is local, the rest are at least 2 hours

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks Possum, Sounds like what I'll end up doing.
    Gonna hit San Falasco tomorrow and see how many miles I can get in!

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    from my experience and i think other racers here would agree, it is more important to count time in saddle not actual miles.

def checkout goneriding.com great races run by great people. i know they started up a single speed race series so make sure to check that out while you are on the site.

also all the of the xc races ive done down in FL tend to lean more towards longer laps (8-10 miles/lap) then the usual shorter xco style laps so maybe you would enjoy some of the regular xc races as well.

do not miss the race at hailes trails! even if you don't want to race atleast come out on saturday for the pre-ride and ride the marked course just to see what it is like. all the info can be found at goenriding.com

have fun and good luck!