mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Florida Panhandle Trails?

Hey folks I'm about to move to northern Florida, near Destin. Not looking forward to moving to a place without any gravity riding. Does anybody have any beta on trails in that area? I'll be living in Ft. Walton.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Nearest trails will be Timberlake in Eglin AFB, then Pinelog over in Ebro, and the trails over by 30A by Seaside/Grayton Beach/Topsail area(can't remember the name).

To get to some really really great trails you'll need to goto Tallahassee(which has several very nice systems to chose from) or atleast Pensacola for the UWF trails(which are nice).

I wreck alot
    Quote Originally Posted by zdinki18 View Post
    Hey folks I'm about to move to northern Florida, near Destin. Not looking forward to moving to a place without any gravity riding. Does anybody have any beta on trails in that area? I'll be living in Ft. Walton.
    I wouldn't be too discouraged about your move. There are some very serious mountain bikers just East of you in Walton County. We regularly make trips to both Alabama, Georgia (and other areas of FL) to ride in the hills and mountains. Don't let any of the chumps fool you, Florida has some excellent riding from fast flowy trails to pretty technical riding down in Central FL. There is even a Freeride section at Santos with massive drops the size you'd see at a bike park. The good news is you're going to be in a location where XC, All-Mountain and even some gravity riding is all within a day/weekend trip.

Check out Pine Trail Mountain Bikers on Facebook for local info where you'll be living.

I'll PM you my info, get in touch when you arrive and I'll get up with you for a group ride.

mtbr member
    they have a "play" area in Pensacola across the street from the xc trail but i dont "play" so dont know how good it is. Pensacola Off-Road Cyclists - PORC - porc.org

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    +1 for Timberlake.... Been there a couple of times seems like its kinda hard to get on the correct trails at places but I'm sure it will be easier once I hit it up a few more times. Be sure to get the recreaton pass from Jackson Guard (like $12 for the year). Also check out Red Rock Road MTB Trail (Just North of Milton) I've been here a couple of times and had a really good time. You will basically have the trail to yourself. I recommend riding the entire loop beginning with Junebug (easy but good warmup), then to Porc Chop (about the same, maybe a little more difficult), then Serpentinas (had a blast on this trail a few logs & natural obstacles, flowy and awesome!) Maybe do Serpentinas a couple of times. Agree with SoWal that Florida might suprise you with the quality of riding and lets be honest you can't beat the weather in the winter... Enjoy it man

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sweet. Thanks for all the beta. That is definitely promising news. I will find out in early january if I land this job, then I will be moving soon after. I will definitely get at you and get on some rides.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just bought a Trek 29er, haven't had a chance to ride it more then around the block..... damn baby anyone wanna o for a ride?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Oh ya I'm in niceville

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks, this is good info. I am about 6-7 hours north of this and I would like a little warmer riding. Is there good camping around these areas?

mtbr member
    thinking about making the trip over from Biloxi to Red Rock Road MTB Trail this Sunday is this trail as good as the UWF Trails? worth the trip?

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyd66 View Post
    thinking about making the trip over from Biloxi to Red Rock Road MTB Trail this Sunday is this trail as good as the UWF Trails? worth the trip?
    Can't really say one way or the other since I haven't ridden the UWF trails yet. I personally have a good time out Red Rock Rd. Maybe hit both if you are gonna make the trip.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    UWF trails are the best trails on the west side of FL. RedRock is neat, but doesn't really compare to the whats offered at UWF. RedRock would only be ideal if you wanted to ride somewhere that you won't bump into anyone else

Coming from Biloxi, don't miss Chickasawbogue and the USA trails in Mobile, AL.

mtbr member
    i ride Chickasawbogue and the USA trails all the time. i have ridden the UWF a bunch as well and had heard about the Red Rock Road but dont know anyone that has been there. we are going to hit UWF. thanks.