Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    It would seem that Tallahassee has the greatest potential for a dense trail network just outside of town on par with Santos. There is public land within a 7 mile radius in every direction of Tallahassee, with the southeast corner being the only exception. Now if only Tally MTB could get a gigantic loop...
    One other thing to consider, if quality riding is that important to you, is that in Tally you're 5 - 6 hrs from World Class trail systems in Birmingham (Oak Mtn), Anniston (Coldwater Mtn), and North Georgia trail systems (Pinhotti, Bull & Jake Mtn). Speaking from a guy that is an avid mtn biker living in Pensacola, FL, those day or weekend trips do a great job of quenching the thirst for truly great trails when you're get tired of riding the local stuff. I'd be willing to bet that the frequency of those trips goes down quite a bit if you're adding 3-6 hrs to that drive, which you would be from central or south FL.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    It would seem that Tallahassee has the greatest potential for a dense trail network just outside of town on par with Santos. There is public land within a 7 mile radius in every direction of Tallahassee, with the southeast corner being the only exception. Now if only Tally MTB could get a gigantic loop...
    I have two 100 mile loops, a 160 mile loop, and Im working on a 450 miler...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    With a 5-year commitment, it would be best to take a few weeks and ride as many of the trails mentioned in posts above and find your preference

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Wink

Yep Valrico fl just outside of Tampa has 4 aforementioned parks 15 to 30 minutes away.

Only Boyette is not kid friendly in case that's included in your 5 yr. plan

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I used to live in Vero Bch, they had some really good riding trails. But this was almost 10 years ago!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider76 View Post
    I used to live in Vero Bch, they had some really good riding trails. But this was almost 10 years ago!
    Are you referring to the ones over by the airport/Dodgertown golf course? I cut some of those back when I moved there in '93 and found the situation to be lacking.
    Flotilla or Buffet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yakkoTDI View Post
    Are you referring to the ones over by the airport/Dodgertown golf course? I cut some of those back when I moved there in '93 and found the situation to be lacking.

I went to two different trails, one was out in a wooded lot, and when I left there in Jan 05' they had just cleared it. The other was neat the edge of Ft. Pierce or it was in FP, and the trail was LONG & hilly, it went under 95. I doubt it's even there any longer.

I don't recall any trail near Dodgertown. I was in Vero from summer 98' to Jan. 05'.

DILLIGAF
    Ft Pierce trail is there and is actually a lot of fun. Check out Airborne MTB club. The trails in Vero were taken out by a hurricane several years ago and never rebuilt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I work in downtown Miami and leave work at 5:30 and I'm riding the virginia key trails by 6. South Florida doesn't have world class trails like some of the other places but Virginia Key, Amelia, Markham, Oleta and Quiet Waters are all within 30 to 45 minutes for me.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    South Florida has a good amount of trails. Oleta River, Amelia, Markham, Virginia Key, Quiet Waters. In addition, Critical Mass in Miami and Fort Lauderdale.
    Giant Talon ... with a few upgrades

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    PHeller:

You mentioned no work in Ocala.Can you find work in Gainesville? Bigger than Ocala, more to do etc. Nice town and near lots of great riding. San Felasco 20 min. north and Santos 30 min south. A bit farther and you have Tallahassee or Alafia/ Boyette

If Gainesville is an option I STRONGLY recommend it. Only problem is taxes are pretty high.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    PHeller - I would say Gainesville (San Felasco and The Rock are easy after work places, as are the 60+ miles of singletrack in the city, with Santos doable on a weekend) and/or Tallahassee would be ideal. If you need a bigger city, I would say Tampa and live in/around Brandon which would place you really close to Boyette and Alafia.

Message me if you like. Wife and I lived in FL for years before moving to AZ and now PA. Although FL has some great riding, I can't believe anyone would consider leaving the riding we have here for it. And what's gonna happen over in New Holland if you leave?!?!?! lol

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The future-wife and I have been considering Florida as the next 5 year career development state. Lots of opportunities for both of us down there.

Luckily we can both get jobs in just about every major city in Florida, but not Ocala

So, of the major urban areas, which has the highest number of trails within say...a 20 minute drive of downtown?
    Have you checked out Texas?

Cow Clicker
    Have you ever considered Chattanooga TN? I was born and reared in Ocala and went to college in Orlando. I have to say, they are the last places I'd consider moving to. We intentionally moved away from Florida to Nashville. Lots of trails and lots of jobs. Massive strong economy. If I could have, I would have move to Chattanooga, but, my work requires me to be in Nashville.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    You also have to consider great kayaking/canoeing. That narrows it to choosing Tampa/Orlando corridor or Ft. Myers/Miami.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Tallahassee also has excellent kayaking and canoeing... Wakulla and St Marks rivers are both spring fed and lead into the Gulf. You also have Sopchoppy and Ochlockonee rivers. Wacissa is a stones throw away with more springs to explore and the Aucilla is next door to that and it even has a section of rapids Econfina River is just east of the Aucilla. There are also many many creeks and lakes that can be canoed. The Apalachicola is also just west.

Cow Clicker
    Ocala has Juniper Springs!
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Atlanta Georgia has it all. I live in florida close to Tampa, but I love going to the ATL all u can handle!

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikensand View Post
    One other thing to consider, if quality riding is that important to you, is that in Tally you're 5 - 6 hrs from World Class trail systems in Birmingham (Oak Mtn), Anniston (Coldwater Mtn), and North Georgia trail systems (Pinhotti, Bull & Jake Mtn). Speaking from a guy that is an avid mtn biker living in Pensacola, FL, those day or weekend trips do a great job of quenching the thirst for truly great trails when you're get tired of riding the local stuff. I'd be willing to bet that the frequency of those trips goes down quite a bit if you're adding 3-6 hrs to that drive, which you would be from central or south FL.
    Yes...I would consider staying further north and even recommend avoiding South Florida in favor of better trails to the North with less driving. Friends in Gainseville tell me about their local trails. That would be a good location. A bit further South you could split the good trails of Tampa area, Ocalla and so forth.

If you never plan to travel and ride, Fort Lauderdale may be best.
    Urban trails, while fun to ride, just don't have that big feel where you see few riders. Our local trails are more like a supercross track, many laps of the same thing over and over.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Tampa is probably your best option in terms of career stuff and trail proximity. If you live in the Brandon/Riverview area you can be at alafia, boyette and wilderness parks in 20 minutes as well. Then shoot up i75 for croom and santos. Tampa is booming for business and the real estate market here is rebounding nicely (I'm a realtor and own a couple of rental properties in addition to my residence) Tampa also has a GREAT airport. My fiancee travels about 50% of the time for work and it's always a good experience going in and out of TIA. I usually drop her off and pick her up and it seems like every flight is always right on time.

mtbr member
    I've lived here all my life , in almost 20 years I've never gotten tired of loyce harper aka carter road. Alafia and Balm Boyette aren't far away and Santos makes a nice weekend get away. All FSC races are no farther than a half a days drive , if you're into local racing. jimho south Fl has some seriously muggy weather and tally gets to damn cold lol. not saying central Fl doesn't get hot but , st.pete to melbourne is where I prefer to spend most of my time. either fishing or riding my bike.

Gone Riding

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2