Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Florida destinations

3K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  blunderbuss 
#1 ·
I have been looking into moving to Florida and had a question. Where is there good mountain biking? I know all about Ocala, although have not been there yet. My final decision is unfortunately not based on mountain biking but it would be nice if I could find a place to live not too far from some good trails.

#4 ·
So you could live anywhere in Florida and your asking for recommendations on where to live that's close to some good trails? Or maybe you could tell us where you might possibly move to and we could tell you if there's some decent trails around there.

#11 ·
Jax is starting to come on with some trails. I have not been riding up there myself, I live in Flagler County, 1hr south of Jax, and ride Graham Swamp, Mala Compra often. A little further out is Chuck Lennon in DeLeon Springs and Doris Leeper Preserve in New Smyrna, both in Volusia County. Both are about a 45 minute drive from home for me. Then Ocala is 1 1/2 hours drive and is the holy grail of FL riding with 60+ miles of trails, great for day trips. For weekend trips, the whole state is withing driving distance, that is when I hit Alafia, Balm Boyette and others.

#12 ·
I can weigh in a little on Jax, but for more details you should look into SORBA Jax. I lived in Jax Beach and worked in Jax until a year and a half ago. The only place to ride in the city was Hanna Park. It's fun, but it closes at dark. You can sneak in through the beach side after dark, but security guards roam the park after hours. So if you work a regular 8-5, you basically have to give up riding in the winter. This sucks. There is a pretty area south of Jax Beach called Guana Reserve. It is completely flat with fire roads throughout, which are handy for putting in miles and getting out into some woods. But technical or challenging it is not.

I think there were some more riding areas in the works, especially west of town.

Traffic is pretty bad at rush hour. If you are into bike commuting, just know that Jax proper is EXTREMELY bike unfriendly, as are most big FL cities in general. Every time I rode to work I felt like I was taking my life into my own hands. The road group rides I used to go on were constantly harassed by drivers. I saw a cyclist get hit by a car one time 100 yards in front of me. Turns out the driver was 80 something AND drunk.

Despite all the negatives, I met some very cool riding friends while living there. The mtb community is small but tight. If you ride road at all be prepared for an icy reception. The roadies in Jax are very elitist and not very friendly.

I've lived in a handful of places in FL, including Vero Beach, Gainesville, Orlando, and Jacksonville. Gainesville wins by a huge margin in every category except for access to the ocean. Culture, bike-friendliness, traffic, entertainment, natural beauty, you name it. Gainesville is peppered with parks. They actually value nature there. Jax paved almost all their land a looooong time ago. The rest of the undeveloped land is mostly private property and fenced off. There were at least 60 miles of trails accessible from town without the need to step foot in a car as of a few years ago, I'm sure there are way more now. Then there's San Felasco and The Rock. And Santos is close enough for weekend trips. But there is so much riding in town that I found myself almost never going to Santos. I lived there for 7 years, and moved for a girl.

I'm out West now and spoiled by access to mountains all around me (all public land, too). But one day I might find my way back to Gville, it is just that good.

#15 · (Edited)
Ocala has a smaller town feel. Santos has lots of trails from beginner to 20 foot drops at the Vortex pit and everything in between. About 40 min. north of Ocala is San Felasco in the town of Alachua. Way more pristine than Santos. No man made crap like berms and bridges. Beautiful. lots of deer etc. Very little traffic at Felasco. One small lot. Santos 4-5 trailheads. not really crowded but likely will not be riding alone for extended periods.

I ride both. Also Ocala area is only 20 minutes from Rainbow River and about 40 from Yankeetown/Crystal river if water is your thing. Day trip to Swamp mountain venues like Alafia are very doable.

If you want no traffic try my town about 30 miles NW of Ocala. More cows than people and no traffic lights.

Oh yes you could move to Gainesville, home of University of Floria. lots of traffic, restaurants, cultural stuff etc. that way you are 30 min from Santos in Ocala and about 20 from San Felasco.

I came from South Florida and will NEVER live in an area like tampa/St. Pete, Ft. lauderdale or Miami again. Thats just me.

FWIW Taxes in Gainesville ( Alachua county) are crazy like Dade county. Ocala not too bad. I live in Levy county and taxes are way lower at least property taxes. Just some random thoughts. PM if you desire more in depth info on the North central florida area

#16 ·
I have lived in Florida my whole life growing up on the east coast and have been on the west coast, (Fort Myers) since 2003. In my opinion the two coasts are drastically different. The Tampa area has some great bike parks and single track. A good friend lives in Jax and says that trail riding up there is improving a great deal, but I have no first hand knowledge. Anything south of Naples sucks IMHO, unless you are in the Keys. Water access is much easier and more public on the east coast.

If you enjoy the water as much as being on land, you may want to take that into consideration as the water on the west coast sucks but that is a totally different topic that I am happy discuss with you should you like.

#18 ·
Then I'm guessing you haven't ridden in Gainesville :thumbsup:

I would still say avoid Jax if you are serious about your riding. If you don't mind spending more time in the car than on the trail then go for it.

If I had to drive every time I wanted to ride my bike I would hate life...ymmv.

#24 ·
I used to live on the same side of the street from flatwoods park, which connects with morris bridge park. Could go from my garage to the trail via bike in about 10min (although I heard they boarded up the hole in the fence, so say 20 min. The neighborhood association is like a bunch of nazis). There's some 25 miles of singletrack, including a fun 14 mile loop. I was about a half mile from I-75, so about an hour drive from Alafia, Boyette, Croom. There's an amazing network of railtrails in the area as well. Main thing is, there's a lot to be said for being that right on top of it, if you have a coupla hours in the morning you can get out there. So check out Hunter's Green neighborhood in New Tampa. (North Tampa). Civilized area too, not way out in the boonies. Lots of hot moms driving around in minivans. Watch out for them, they have anger issues. Best to stick to the trails.

Alafia is just stupid fun. Glad that wasn't there when I was in school, I would have never graduated. If you can literally live anywhere, buy a farm out there. Good place to ride out the coming global financial apocalypse.

#25 ·
Since moving from Hillsborough county to Pinellas County...I've had a hell of a time finding someplace around here (near clearwater)...I use to go to Alafia and Boyette...which I loved just because they had a wide range of trails that could hit on everyone...but now I am stuck with the Pinellas Trail which is a paved trail and I hate paved trails...not really what I was looking for...if anyone knows of anything nearby...please let me know

#27 ·
in other words , he's stuck like chuck during the week..find a route you can ride after work to keep yours legs and cardio.. hit the parks on the weekends..would be a good time to start camping if you don't already. santos and alafia both have super nice campgrounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.