Thread: FATS Update

mtbr member
    Sep 2003

FATS Update

We have put 3.1 miles on the ground since Sept 7th.

The crew is taking the first two weeks of rifle hunting season off for safety reasons. They will be back on Oct 17th and work on thru the fall/winter.

We are going to build 17 miles total in this round. The plan is for 6 loops originally estimated to be 32 miles. But based on what we know so far, it may be more like 36-42 miles in those 6 loops.

We expect to have volunteer days most weekends all Fall and Winter. Anyone is encouraged to volunteer during the week by contacting me and I'll get you the tools you need and directions where to meet the crew.

We are building the 3 lower loops this round.

[IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member

Where Is Fats?

If you don't mind me asking, Where is this place exactly?

Thanks,

paintbucket
    Just north of N. Augusta, SC (which is right across the river from Augusta, GA). More info on the SORBA-CSRA web page:

http://www.sorbacsra.org/
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Two wheels are best
    36-42 sounds good!

Maybe I can drag my sorry behind over that way to lend a hand...though I plan to be pretty busy working at Harbison this fall winter...
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC
    36-42 sounds good!

Maybe I can drag my sorry behind over that way to lend a hand...though I plan to be pretty busy working at Harbison this fall winter...
    We'd take all the help we can get. We started out needing 1500 volunteer hours to match the Rec Trail Program grant we have. I think we need something like 1150 more as we just started in August. The crew moves along at a pretty good clip....almost a mile a week. So we may be done by the Jan/Feb 2006 and that is a fairly short time to get 1150 more volunteer hours. I know our core group is going hard at it, but will need some relief.

The crew gets it to almost finished state. They cut the bench, shape the backslope, remove all the large roots, clean up the tread surface and accent all the drains. All that is left to do is cut smaller derailler graber roots and clean out the drains that may not have been raked clean enough.

For anyone into trail construction and design, it may do you some good to come see this. We encourage folks that can to come out during the week and volunteer with the crew. Just contact me and I'll tell you where to meet them that day. The trail has features built into it to improve the drainage AND improve the fun factor at the same time. It also has some insloped turns kinda bermed up where the rider will be high above the water. Deep whoop-de-doos are carved for the riders pleasure. Causeways have been built in the flatter sections so the rider is on an elevated tread above any water that may not have seeped back into the earth. I've been managing the constuction of trails for about 7 years now and I have never seen anything quite like this one. I am the official "flow checker" and this stuff rides like a surfboard at times.

The work is pretty easy and the payoff will be huge. The hard part is finding people willing to help. Most just want to know when they can come ride it.....which according to the USFS is not until all 17 miles are done and inspected. So, the sooner we get it done, the sooner it is open to the public.

Please come help if you can.
    Last edited by seenvic; 10-06-2005 at 08:05 AM.

Two wheels are best
    I'd really like to come out and see the pro's do the trail building. I'm sure it would be an excellent way to learn a lot about trail building.

As you know, we have lots of trouble with the "flatter than they look" Harbison trails...

SALLGUD

Come for trail work, and bring your bike!

Any and all help will definitely be appreciated! We have been doing trail work for 3 - 4 hours (starting around 8 or 9am) on our scheduled trail work days. Sufficient tools are on hand and you just need to bring your gloves. Afterward, if you have your bike with you, it would be fun to hit one of the other local trails, most of which are very close.

We have numerous really nice trails within the area, and there's always several of us that do some riding after the trail work. Only about ten minutes from FATS is Lick Fork/Horn Creek, Turkey Creek, Wine Creek and Modoc/Stevens Creek. Maybe twenty minutes away is Bartram Trail (just across the river in GA). About 40 minutes away is Baker Creek State Park, and Hickory Knob. Any of these can be looked up on the trails section of Mtbr.com.

If you are interested in showing up for one of our scheduled work parties, just check out the www.sorbacsra.org website.

Michael

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC
    I'd really like to come out and see the pro's do the trail building. I'm sure it would be an excellent way to learn a lot about trail building.

As you know, we have lots of trouble with the "flatter than they look" Harbison trails...
    Donald,
    Send me an email to wmvic32@aol.com. I'd like to communicate with you outside this board about bringing our crew to Harbison. Surely you guys are tired of dicking around after all these years. Lets go big in our capital city!

Thanks,

Bill

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Clarification on "dicking around".

DM SC did send me a email and rightfully called me out for my "dicking around" comment.

The volunteers at Harbison are not dicking around. I admire those guys. They do alot on a shoestring budget that is probably coming mostly from their personal funds. For the passion and effort these people show, I'd like to see them acquire funding that would allow them to take their efforts to the next level. By this I mean professional trail contractors doing the heavy lifting and this being supported by a broadbased volunteer effort.

I've lived both scenerios. And I know what puts miles of trail on the ground.

I apologize to any of these volunteers that may have read this comment and interpreted my meaning to be derogitory to their efforts. Perhaps I should have said, let's "take it to the next level" instead of "dicking around".

SALLGUD

FATS in the headlines!

The Augusta Chronicle carried an excellent article in today's newspaper on the FATS trail system. Page 15C.

On Thursday officials from the SC Dept. of Parks, Rec and Tourism along with officials from USFS inspected some of the trail that has been completed, and also discussed future plans, to include parking and restroom facilities. They were impressed with the pace of the project, and the quality.

The trail is not open to the public yet, as we are continuing to have work parties that put the finishing touches on trail that has been "roughed in" by the big machines. Hopefully, per the article, we will be open by spring, if not a tad earlier.

Plans are in the works right now to get funding to increase the 17 mile route by another 10. We could have 27 miles rideable by springtime! As you can tell, volunteers are critical for this trail to be completed in a timely manner, and once again the call is going out!

Michael

Two wheels are best
    Thanks for the update, Michael!

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Volunteered cleared corridor:

[IMG][/IMG]

ruffed in by the sweco:

[IMG][/IMG]

Not yet finished, but plenty swoopy:

[IMG][/IMG]

You like jumping?

[IMG][/IMG]

An elevated turn:

5.6 miles almost done. 11.4 to go. 573 volunteer hours done. 927 to go.

Two wheels are best
    Lookin' good there Bill!