mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Fats trail system

Somebody fill me in on the fats trail system in Georgia / South Carolina. Heard it's fast and flowey with few climbs. Is it single speed worthy? Coming up from Fl. and don't have a geared bike right now. Fun or will I be sorry with 29er ss hardtail.
    Oh yeah, is there any camping or rv parks nearby?

\m/{-_-}\m/
    My buddy rides it on an SS 29er hardtail and he doesn't have any problems. I don't know what gearing he rides though. I think his name on here is Jasontech or something similar. You could probably PM him. Since FATS is technically in SC you might get better info over in that forum too.

I've been there 3 or 4 times (Florida guy also) and I love it there. It's not the mountains but there are some fast flowy downhill sections and some decent sections of climbing. I kind of compare the climbing there to our short Florida power climbs it's just that there are way more and they are in succession very close to each other. Deep Step Loop has the most climbing and it's the only trail that I really felt challenged on. Every thing is is fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

29er SS Perfect for FATS

Roxie,
    You should have a great time riding your HT 29er SS at FATS. I'm here temporarily visiting from Hawaii and I bought a HT 29er SS (Cannodale F29 Caffeine) just to ride FATS and the other trails in the area. There are six different trails at FATS; Skinny, Brown Wave, Deep Step, Great Wall, Tower, and Big Rock, all roughly about six miles each for a total of 35 - 40 miles of singletrack. I've not yet had the opportunity to ride the last two on the list (the newest and supposedly a little more technical), but the four older trails that start from the main trailhead are all fast and flowy and very SS friendly. If you want to ride with another singlespeeder, give me a shout. I'm free to ride in the evenings and weekends. You'll love FATS.

mtbr member
    I was ridding a 32/18 setup. When I go back I'll go to a 32/20.

The Voice of Reason
    i rode it last month on a ss and had a blast. perma-grin. i was on a 29er with 32x18 with no problems. be prepared to get some air.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm also riding a 32/18 and thinking about making the switch to 32/20. The climbs are not what I would call sustained or particularly steep, but 32/18 is just a little high-geared for maximum enjoyment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for replys. Thinking of doing a dingle for the trip, 32x20x17. Have a short cage der and a rear shifter laying around so what the heck. I'm an old guy so the 20 might help on a few of the climbs. Where's the best place to stay? Augusta close?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Augusta is very close and convenient and has tons of hotels to choose from.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hope this is not too late for you. Plenty of info on FATS
    here:
    http://www.sorbacsra.org/ (including trail status: closed = rain+24 hours. There are heaps of other great trails in the area if you can't get on FATS)
    and here:
    http://sorbacsra.proboards.com/index.cgi (local forum)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roxie
    Somebody fill me in on the fats trail system in Georgia / South Carolina. Heard it's fast and flowey with few climbs. Is it single speed worthy? Coming up from Fl. and don't have a geared bike right now. Fun or will I be sorry with 29er ss hardtail.
    Oh yeah, is there any camping or rv parks nearby?
    Should be good on that sort of setup, and there are campgrounds nearby.

Check here for more info on fats:
    http://gregridestrails.blogspot.com/...m-augusta.html
    GregRidesTrails.com--An informational and instructional mountain bike blog.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I dont know about SS, but the trails were awesome when I went up from Tampa to the IMBA conference.. Fast and flowy and very doable climbs...

mtbr member
    May 2009

campgrounds

May be too late but Petersburg campground is great. Right on Thurmond Lake. Bartram trailhead right out from the park so can get some miles in there. FATS is a lot of fun on geared or SS. You will have a blast. Just be careful as there are some sections on Brown Wave that if you have never ridden it before can throw you off the flow in a hurry and over the bars.