mtbr member
    Jul 2007

FATS - Trail Conditions and Advice?

Making my first trip to FATS this week (ride on Friday morning 7/19). We've had an incredible amount of rain here in Chattanooga, so my first question is "are the trails alright to ride at this point"?

Secondly - I'd appreciate any advice on the following:

Recommended route if I wanted to get at least 20 miles with an option to do more?

Where to park, and is parking relatively secure?

Decent but cheap hotel right off of I-20 that might be convenient to the trail system?

Are the trails well marked, or do I need to carry a map with me?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    SORBA-CSRA: Home

not open.... had the same monsoon season as you. FATS is rather slow to dry out as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Alright, I certainly won't ride it if it is too wet. The ten day forecast for the area doesn't look bad though - any chance it would be okay by Friday morning or is it a definite "no go" at this point? Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    We've had 21" of rain since June 1st and it has rained nearly every day for the last 30-something days. I wouldn't make the drive because you will be disappointed.

This link is the reply we've been sending to folks just like you. FATS Trail Conditions 2013 | SORBA-CSRA Community Bulletin Board

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Alright, thanks. I'm making the drive anyways as I have to be in Charleston Friday evening. What about Dassuet? Same story there? So, if the whole MTB thing isn't gonna work, anyone know of any "can't miss" places we can get out on our race type paddle boards?

mtbr member
    Don't know about south Georgia, but likely similar. The whole state has been slammed with rain over the last month and a half.

Hi There!
    This really stinks, I was planning a roadie to FATS for the end of this week as well. What a bummer.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by architectx View Post
    Alright, thanks. I'm making the drive anyways as I have to be in Charleston Friday evening. What about Dassuet? Same story there? So, if the whole MTB thing isn't gonna work, anyone know of any "can't miss" places we can get out on our race type paddle boards?
    I haven't been to Dauset in several weeks, but i expect it to be ok in certain sections and quite muddy in others. It will be open though.

\m/{-_-}\m/

FATS - Trail Conditions and Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by architectx View Post
    The trails in Charleston are nothing to brag about, but they're all closed too. The whole SE seems to be shutdown.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I live near Harbins Park in Gwinnett County GA. The place drains well and they have been keeping it open as much as possible. I got two rides in there over the weekend, and it was open this morning.

The information hotline (recording) number is 770-978-5270. However, they are laxidasical about updating it, and sometimes the trails are open even though the recording says it is closed. The phone# serves the whole county and sometimes Harbins will be open when everything else is closed.

If you are interested PM me and I will give you my phone#. I can drive over there anytime to check for you. Of course if it comes a toad-strangler between the time you call and can get here.....