Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by navysarchris View Post
    So I went to Santos this weekend, more specifically Vortex... It was Fat Tire Fest so there were tons of people out there. The parks up there like to utilize 2 way trails, that can't support 2 way traffic, especially those from Santos Trailhead to Vortex... Outside of the traffic (which for some reason were people that always felt they had the right away...) to Vortex and either the inconciderate people going backwards or people just lost on the trails (vortex)was awesome... I've heard flow mentioned for markham and such down south but the flow around vortex was a lot nicer. If you like to ride the harder trails and do jumps, the difficult stuff here is a lot more rewarding to fly through.

There are some fun wood structures to ride and some nice drops. The trails are entertaining and have enough variables so that a couple passes generally makes each proceding pass that much more entertaining (either having more speed, know where a jump is and how to exit it and such, or just more difficult obsticles you could've taken).

I had the opportunity to demo a Specialized Enduro (S-works and carbon wheels 29") and that thing was amazing, I ride 650b Heckler so the range of travel was pretty familiar to me. It was a blast for the vortex area and burned through the simpler trails at santos on the way to vortex (First time on the new pike forks too, they were amazing)... My GF demo'ed a sworks stumpjumer evo 26" and it was a blast to wip around and pop up on the jumps at vortex but simply riding it back killed my thighs, SUPRISE!(we ended up swapping cause she just couldn't keep up or utilize the bike's strengths)

Anyways outside of the traffic and other bikers Vortex was awesome, the 29er turned the barely possible climbs into butter and my 27 made the jumps and speed through tight areas that much better. I'd suggest simply parking at vortex and hanging out at that trail system if you ever make the trip.
    my friend was there as well this weekend he said it was great. he sent me a link to a video of it that someone produced. In other news, I have made the jump to a 1x system. Alafia definately has a lot more going on with it but since race face has a 30t offering that should be pretty good. realistically if I can't climb it in 30/36 i need to get a bit stronger and more fit or I probably don't have the skill required to make it back down the other side of the son*****!And at 250 lbs, it doesn't take much downhill to get speed so spinning out a 30/11 will give plenty of speed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I use a raceface N/W 34t chainring and havent found anything at alafia i cant climb. Just keep riding man! i dont think you should have any worries on the 30t! (im 6'4" and 200# btw)

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by navysarchris View Post
    So I went to Santos this weekend, more specifically Vortex... It was Fat Tire Fest so there were tons of people out there. The parks up there like to utilize 2 way trails, that can't support 2 way traffic, especially those from Santos Trailhead to Vortex...
    Any other time than FatTire, traffic is never really a problem at Santos... just sayin.
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjudy13 View Post
    Any other time than FatTire, traffic is never really a problem at Santos... just sayin.
    True. I spent like 5 hours there and I think I saw like four other guys.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    If you ride all the hard options on Moonscape, then the Yelly Screamy will come in handy. Really just depends on your riding style and preference. Only you can decide.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '14 Niner ROS9 HT 1x10

mtbr member
    Two traffic is never a problem at santos until fattire fest. Thats when most of the locals stay home. Toy cant even get to the parking lot at ftf but on a saturday the main parking lot will be mostly full.....with no trail traffic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2