mtbr member

Dogs on the levy at markham, anyone?

i was taking a trip out west for the HITS Naples triathlon and right as i got on 75 passing the levy i noticed a lady walking her dogs on the levy. now, while they were on leashes, i got a really great idea. I'd love to take my ACD Kiah out on the levy for a bit of a run, and to test the lockout on my F29.

my question is, do any of you guys take the pups out on the levy for a run (off leash)? i know that dogs on the trails is forbidden

here's my little lazy bum begging for a little run.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If you have to ask...

mtbr member
    Hmm... Not sure if I agree. I can think of plenty of situations where you might have to ask someone who may have experience in something you're unfamiliar with... It's kind of the point of an online forum. Did you happen to know the answer to my question as to whether or not I'm allowed to have my dog off leash on the levy? If so that would be really helpful. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I guess spoon feeding you the answer is what you want. There is this cool new invention called Google.com I used it and searched "broward county leash law" and found your answer. Animal Laws

Hopefully you find this more to your liking.

mtbr member
    I wasn't sure if the leash law applied to this particular area. I appreciate your answer as it was essentially exactly what I was looking for, albeit Sarcastic. I just didn't make the correlation as I thought it might be part of the everglades or something.

On that logic, are hunting dogs always required to be on leash?

mtbr member
    Never mind. Found the answer to that too

mtbr member
    May 2011
    That sure sucks. My dog runs with me almost every time I ride trails. She is really fast on the technical climbs!

mtbr member
    Yeah I think she'd really love it. I guess I'll find some way to get her out on the bike

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    SFWM (South Florida Water Management) may have a say in that too, as the water inside the levee's is our back up drinking water supply. With all the peeps training on the levee as well, do you really want your dog running loose and potentially create a bad situation? The right of way on the levee will than be decided in court if someone gets hurt or decides to sue… Not good IMHO as it could potentially shut down access to all users… YMMV
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Yeah all things considered I will have to find somewhere more pet friendly to take her. Any suggestions? I considered some sort of leash contraption for general riding but feel that it would be too dangerous. Is anyone aware of any places?

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Markham itself has the dog park but I don't know if that is what you like. I have had dogs too and know their need to run with the wind..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Yeah go to happy tails because Markham charges a fee now which I disagree with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Off topic a touch, but Markham charges fees now because upkeep and insurance costs need to be met by the user, or at least contributed to by the user. Personally, I don't find that at all onerous.
    I'm not sure if you mean 'charges a fee' for admission, or for dogs - as far as I know, they always did.
    See if SFWMD has signs at the leveee access points regarding dogs, or even call them and ask.
    Cheers
    Barry

mtbr member
    No there's a fee to get into the park regardless, plus, just like the trail cards, you have to have an additional card ($25 for the year or $5 for the day) just to get into the dog park.

mtbr member
    But good idea on sfwmd!

PMK
    mtbr member
    I don't ride much down south anymore, also I am not sure which levee or it's surrounding area. Consider that if there is water there is likely alligators.

On other levee rides in South Florida I have come upon gators sunning themselves well up on the banks.

The decision of where to go for me would include the dogs safety. As for leash laws and water supply stuff, I doubt dogs would threaten the water any worse than humans already do. Leash law, I would be of the opinion that if the dog was not threatening and merely restrained when others approached I doubt that would be a problem.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    South Florida mentality representing strong in this post... Entitled *******s... buttholes* (Although haven't witnessed it too badly in the MTB scene)