mtbr member

Dahlonega Dirty Thirty Group Ride

Do you have plans for the 22nd of June? No? Come on up to Dahlonega, GA for a ride!

Please RSVP Here: https://www.facebook.com/events/275982532546911/

Info:

The Dahlonega Dirty Thirty

What: Out-of-town riders complain regularly about how complicated the Bull/Jake mountain trail system is: how hard it is to navigate, and how easy it is to get lost. Well, here’s your chance to experience Dahlonega singletrack at its finest!

The Dirty Thirty route is designed to sample as much of the available singletrack as possible with as few sections of gravel road as possible, and absolutely no doubling back on the same trail. This massive singletrack loop just happens to be about 30 miles, hence the name!

This isn’t a race--it isn’t even technically an organized event… this will just be a bunch of mountain bikers getting together to ride! After we finish, we’ll hang out in the staging area and grill up some food and drink cold beverages for a while.

How: Since this isn’t a race, and isn’t even an actual event of any kind, this ride is 100% self supported. That means, bring as much food and water as you need for 3-5 hours of mountain biking in the demanding North Georgia mountains and the heat of a Georgia summer. Also, bring whatever tools and spares you might (or might not) need on this ride.

There is no rider check-in and no rider check-out. If you disappear in the woods, we’ll either not notice, or assume you turned around and headed back. If we get back and you’re still out in the woods, we’re not going to come get you. If we finish eating and drinking and we pack up to go and you’re still not back, we’ll just assume that 30 wasn’t enough miles for you and you’re just shooting for 50 or more.

This is mountain biking: be self sufficient and ride safely and in control out there. You could have a crash and have a major injury, resulting in broken bones, paralysis, or death. It has happened in these mountains before. Know your limits and ride within them, and take responsibility for your actions.

The only thing that will (probably) be provided is a printed map with the intended route and ride direction highlighted on it. These will be distributed at the rider meet-up at 7:45 am.

As for the after party, try to be self sufficient then as well. Northstar Bicycle of Dahlonega and Dawsonville will be out there grilling up hotdogs for us as we finish, but BYOB and whatever else you might like to eat. Hot dogs are first come, first serve, so if you could RSVP on the event listing page so that Northstar can get a rough head count, that would be great!

Who: Anyone who wants to ride mountain bikes! The idea is to ride this big loop route, but if you just want to show up and ride a shorter option and party afterwards, that’s fine!

Where: Dahlonega, Georgia, but specifically we will stage in the upper Bull Mountain parking lot, since there’s more space and generally fewer people up there.

GPS coordinates for the Bull Mtn. Parking 34.580419, -84.144294

When: June 22, 2013. Rider meet-up at 7:45 am, rolling at 8 am sharp.

Why: Why not?!
    GregRidesTrails.com--An informational and instructional mountain bike blog.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Greg,
    A pity you picked the wrong weekend for me :-)
    Will you post a map so those of us who aren't able to make it for the group ride could do it on our own?
    I'd be the bloke you describe as 'still out in the woods' when you get back, so riding on my own would be par for the course.
    Cheers
    Barry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryGXNZ View Post
    Greg,
    A pity you picked the wrong weekend for me :-)
    Will you post a map so those of us who aren't able to make it for the group ride could do it on our own?
    I'd be the bloke you describe as 'still out in the woods' when you get back, so riding on my own would be par for the course.
    Cheers
    Barry
    Hey Barry, I'm sorry you won't be able to make it.

I'm planning to preride the full course soon so I can generate a complete GPS track of the planned route. I'll try to at least post a link to that Strava ride, and if I remember I'll try to post the completed map up too.

Cheers!
    GregRidesTrails.com--An informational and instructional mountain bike blog.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am gonna be riding this route Monday 09/30/13 if anyone wants to tag along. One route change is I plan to start from the Jake TH rather than the Bull.
    Dahlonega Dirty Thirty by svmtbman at Garmin Connect - Details