Thread: Croom Freeride

I wreck alot

Croom Freeride

Is the Croom freeride section still open? I haven't seen anyone post about it in a vert long time. I haven't seen a video of that section in a couple years either. Is it still open?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It is. However with the frequent rains, it is not always in ride able condition. I see the dirt jump crew working on them most weeks repairing the severe erosion. May be hit or miss for the next few months.

I wreck alot
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy66 View Post
    It is. However with the frequent rains, it is not always in ride able condition. I see the dirt jump crew working on them most weeks repairing the severe erosion. May be hit or miss for the next few months.
    Thanks for the info Jonesy!

I don't plan to be back down there until Fall anyway. We've had a ton of rain turning our trails to slop up in the Panhandle too. I'll be sure to bring my shovel when I come down.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Are there still jumps at the croom bike trails? Was there a few years back. Started riding again and croom is a lot closer than santos.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Better than ever, they are between the 10 and 14 mile bailouts

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Awesome! what is the fastest way to access them?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Found the trail map and my answer haha

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Heading to croom Sunday if weather holds off

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Checked it out. Some nice step ups built since my last visit. Unfortunately the rain has everything muddy and trashed. Needs a little shovel work and some dry weather. Definitely going out there again. If anyone knows of a future work party I'm in.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'd love to see some current pics for a future road trip if ya can. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2015
    How do I post pics from my phone to here lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I am transitioning from dirt bikes to mountain biking. For the past few months I have been hitting croom couple times a week, bailout 10 to 14 are the areas I ride most of the time. I saw a dark colored truck parked at bailout 10, any chance that was you? I rarely see people out there riding. Definitely a fun spot!

mtbr member
    Swamp club does evening rides out there just about every week. You can find out dates , here.

https://www.facebook.com/swampclub?fref=nf

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I was there in a white Kia that has pink eyelashes on it. My girlfriend's whip lol. I parked right at the 14mile bailout. That is my usual spot. I did see a Toyota Tacoma parked at the fire road entrance between the 10 and 14 mile spots

mtbr member
    May 2015
    If the monsoon rain stops this week I'll be heading to santos next weekend. I figure croom will be wet for a while. Once it starts to dry up I plan on fixing the rain damage on whatever I can. I really want to hit the step ups out there and try to get some of my tricks back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Blwn99x View Post
    If the monsoon rain stops this week I'll be heading to santos next weekend. I figure croom will be wet for a while. Once it starts to dry up I plan on fixing the rain damage on whatever I can. I really want to hit the step ups out there and try to get some of my tricks back.
    I've been wanting to get involved with trail maintenance. Any tips for a first timer?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Rode 10-14 yesterday, was wet but doable if you're desperate to ride. Was gonna do both directions, but the weather turned bad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just got home, rode everything except 10-14. Even with all the rain, croom is riding great. 10-14 is some of the best trail in the state.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Anthem1, did you ride with the guys from swamp that meet on tues?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    No, I got started a little earlier so I could get it all in before dark/rain. Hoping to get out again tomorrow for some more. That is a great group to ride with tho.

TRANCER
    Looks like a great trail to check out. How far from Santos and Alaffia is it?
    Ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I rode again this afternoon, North yellow from tucker hill to red connector to blue CW.
    I rode 14 thru 10 and it was in pretty good condition other than the rollers on either side of Heart Break Hill which are clay and slick as snot.
    The remaining 30+ miles of trail (with the exception of drunken monkey, lots of clay)are in great condition.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74 View Post
    Looks like a great trail to check out. How far from Santos and Alaffia is it?
    Exit 301 off I-75 HWY 50. About an hour north of Alafia, 30 minutes South of Santos.

TRANCER
    Thanks! Going to check it out.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Joined the Thursday night group for this first time tonight and had fun. Really cool people!

I recommend joining the short group ride if you can but also recommend hitting the trails on your own and taking your time. There are nearly 50 miles of trail out there. I usually start at the trail head along the Withlacoochee Trail, and ride north on the blue trail doing a counter clockwise loop. I stash water at the 14 mile bail out and refill again when I get to the fire-tower.