mtbr member

Columbia,SC rider

why is it that most people here in Columbia,SC have kind of a snobish attiude towards people starting out or those of us getting back into shape? I've known several people who have tired to get starter groups going myself included & no one ever wants to ride with them. After watching post in other parts on the country people seem very happy to teach & share this great sport with others.Please don't tell me it's just me either,the time's I've been to Harbison there's been 5 people that I've come across that dont mind riding with people who ride on a slower pace & guess what 4 out of 5 of them arn't from here So what give's with Columbia Riders??

paintbucket
    Well, speaking only for myself, I don't mind riding alone and I don't like the hassle of setting up a group ride. That doesn't mean I won't sometimes take advantage of a regularly scheduled ride, but only if it fits in my schedule and I feel like being sociable. Which is rare. But its not a reflection on you or anyone else.

I ride a green Voodoo. Say hi next time you see me. Mention mtbr and I'll probably even stop and chat.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member

cool

not trying to start any thing with anyone here I'm just asking there was a thread about people being snobish.. & I felt that some people in Columbia felt that way is all just wondering is all....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS-Rider
    not trying to start any thing with anyone here I'm just asking there was a thread about people being snobish.. & I felt that some people in Columbia felt that way is all just wondering is all....
    Who knows if the riders in Cola are snobbish? Maybe, maybe not. I have definitely met some "snobs", but hey, thats cycling for you. If you're a beginner and you approach a guy wearing a Discovery Channel kit with shaved legs and a 6000 dollar bike, about turning a moderately paced lap, he might get snobby on ya! I tend to opt for the "Lobo Solo" approach like Wooglin since my singlespeed gives me some idiosyncratic riding habits not shared by others, although I'm always up for a ride if asked. You should check out http://www.outspokinbicycles.com/. They have a weekly group ride at Harbison (according to their calender). I met a guy from Bike To Nature today who was leading an all-abilities group ride (http://www.biketonature.com/ ) and the guys at Summit Cycles run a good spirited group ride when the daylight hours get longer (http://www.summitcyclesbikeshop.com/ ). I ride at Harbison a lot. I'm usually on a singlespeed IRO so when you see me whizzing around, gimme a shout out...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS-Rider
    why is it that most people here in Columbia,SC have kind of a snobish attiude towards people starting out or those of us getting back into shape? I've known several people who have tired to get starter groups going myself included & no one ever wants to ride with them. After watching post in other parts on the country people seem very happy to teach & share this great sport with others.Please don't tell me it's just me either,the time's I've been to Harbison there's been 5 people that I've come across that dont mind riding with people who ride on a slower pace & guess what 4 out of 5 of them arn't from here So what give's with Columbia Riders??

It's probably like that in a lot of areas, just depends on your luck I guess. I went to Manchester yesterday to try the Campbell's Pond trail. When I got to the parking lot there 4 guys setting up, wearing the lycra stuff. I tried approaching them but seemed like I was getting the cold shoulder. 2 minutes later these 2 ladies and a man, probably mid-late 40s, pulled in and they were quite nice. So it's hit or miss, I reckon.

mtbr member

very true..

I talked to Tim about 4 day's ago at Summit he said he tried last year but to no avail he's going to try again this year when daylight saving's time is over. I've been trying to fnd people to get maybe 2 or 3 day's singled out so we'll see I haven't got my Harbison pass yet trying to get some more weight off before I hit those traill's the other guy standing there said there are 3 type's of rided around here it seems Hammerheads, those who try to be hammerhead's & fade & then those who just fade Cezzer is right alot of it here is hit or Guess I really good at missing!! kenpuke if your out there & you see a fat guy on a Redline SS with a Manitou SX thats my big ass look me up!