Thread: Coldwater

mtbr member

Coldwater

Hey y'all. I will be at Coldwater Mtn tomorrow and Thursday for my first time. Any suggestions for a good 3-4 hour ride? Thanks.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Moderator Moderator
    May 2015
    Heya Mike, Since your on facebook join the NEABA North East Alabama Bike Association. I think that you will enjoy coldwater.
    This is a good map to check out for the trails.

Bomb Dog Loop - Coldwater Mountain Mountain Bike Trail, Anniston, Alabama

You will also be close to other tracks also. I would choose two bear loop and mama bear, that will put you at 5 miles depending on your speed, You may be able to do all 25 miles in 5 hours ??? But It takes me a while to travel when the heat is up and my wife does not take hills great.
    Southeastern Mountain Bike forum
    Randall Cooper on Flickr
    2006 Schwinn Rocket Comp FS and Full Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    Hey y'all. I will be at Coldwater Mtn tomorrow and Thursday for my first time. Any suggestions for a good 3-4 hour ride? Thanks.
    I did the parking lot in Coldwater to the upper bear hare and return down Bomb Dog.. That should be a good loop for you..Also bring or should I say drink lost before you ride. Its pretty hot right now. Most is under the cf the trees but when its not much wind its sure does drain you. Lots of rocks also, made my pretty new pedals look broken in for sure.

The perfessor
    I rode CW parking lot, mama / papa bear, cassidy, talledega, Trillium (totally awesome, don't miss it), chilhowee, bomb dog trails and under 20 miles, was a good ride.......now, I've been told to ride from the Anniston side to run the Tortoise / Hare trails because paired with Trillium, it makes for a wicked fun ride........couple bike shops up town could prolly direct you best........and yes, lots of rock garden..........
    29er Ti SS Rigid / 29er SC Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I rode.the whole thing today. Very sweet trails. Would be better if it was under 95.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Robertson
    Ain't that the truth. For others, the best route I've found is Anniston parking lot, up Hare, Chilowhee to Goldilocks, Goldilocks, up Cassidy to rock slot to bomb dog, back down to the bears, both of those back up cassidy to talladega, up talladega to trillium, trillium and hare back to the car. Is about 23 miles. Though apparently there's some new trails opening soon if not already I need to try!

mtbr member
    I had a great time in Anniston. The Victoria Inn is super nice and really reasonable. I found a bar/pool hall downtown that had $2 pints, so that was a good thing. And I got in another 2 hours at Coldwater this morning before heading out.

Someone did try to swipe my bike off the rack last night, but fortunately, they didn't have any bolt cutters and the security cable saved the bike.

Robertson
    Sketchy people everywhere...I for one never leave my bike outside (unless it's locked in my car) when on a trip unless I'm camping right next to it

The perfessor
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    Sketchy people everywhere...I for one never leave my bike outside (unless it's locked in my car) when on a trip unless I'm camping right next to it
    yeah, what he said........I value my bike tremendously because I build all my own bikes - lots of pride in my work...........
    29er Ti SS Rigid / 29er SC Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Ain't that the truth. For others, the best route I've found is Anniston parking lot, up Hare, Chilowhee to Goldilocks, Goldilocks, up Cassidy to rock slot to bomb dog, back down to the bears, both of those back up cassidy to talladega, up talladega to trillium, trillium and hare back to the car. Is about 23 miles. Though apparently there's some new trails opening soon if not already I need to try!
    I will be visiting soon for the first time and trying to layout a route. Will this be the best flow?

Thank you guys!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    No doubt. A buddy just had 2 very (VERY) expensive triathlon bikes stolen. For whatever reason, he did not take them inside the hotel. Instead he left them locked to the back of his motorcycle and trusted the hotel parking staff to keep an eye on them. Walked out the next day and they were gone.

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxis Gamez View Post
    I will be visiting soon for the first time and trying to layout a route. Will this be the best flow?

Thank you guys!
    I'd say so. If you aren't going on a weekend day, then you can ride down Talladega instead of up, then up Chilowhee. Makes the climbs a bit easier, but Talladega is technically uphill only so you shouldn't go flying down it on the weekends. Be sure to stop by Wig's Wheels (the LBS in Anniston) and ask for a map, any tips on the trails, etc. Wig is an awesome guy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    I had a great time in Anniston. The Victoria Inn is super nice and really reasonable. I found a bar/pool hall downtown that had $2 pints, so that was a good thing. And I got in another 2 hours at Coldwater this morning before heading out.

Someone did try to swipe my bike off the rack last night, but fortunately, they didn't have any bolt cutters and the security cable saved the bike.
    I always take my bike to my hotel room. ALWAYS!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Rode here 3 weeks ago, I have ridden everywhere in the SE and this trail system is hands down the most FUN.

Robertson
    Took a new friend from Spain riding at Coldwater yesterday. Despite the heat, we had a blast. They just opened some new trails, called "Mike's Loop" that is awesome. Like, incredibly fast and huge jumps awesome.

mtbr member
    They just opened some new trails, called "Mike's Loop" that is awesome. Like, incredibly fast and huge jumps awesome.
    Where is that?
    I was there a couple of weeks ago. Still fun, but the trails apparently haven't seen a lick of maintenance in the year-and-a-half since I was last there. The deadfalls on Bomb Dog and the green gravity "flow" trail looked like they'd been there awhile. Was wishing I'd brought my folding saw...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I would like to see where it is also...Rode there 3 weeks ago.. a little choppy in places but overall nice..

Robertson
    There weren't any trees down I saw when I rode, but agreed that it's gotten a bit choppy. That's gonna happen when you machine cut trails on the side of a mountain, the rain runs down and washes away the top soil. The new trails are if you're climbing up tortoise from the Anniston parking lot, when you turn left onto the start of Chilowhee, Mike's loop start is just behind you. There was a bit of caution tape still around it, but the owner of the LBS, Wig's Wheels, assured us it was good to go. Ask him for more detailed instructions, he drew us a map

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    When I was there a month ago, bomb dog was clear of any debri and the trail was in meticulous condition, we did not ride any of the fresh cut trails, maybe thts whats being called choppy?
    There was one tree down somewhere that I can't recall that was easily hopped and the top of another across baby bear, which I stopped and cleared.

mtbr member
    There's a handful of us driving down to Apalachicola, FL next weekend, and we're wanting to stop somewhere on the way to do some riding and camping. I'm interested in Coldwater as I was stationed at Fort McClellan a number of years ago, and I'm kind of fascinated to see the town rebooting with a recreational mindset.
    My one question is if there is nearby tent camping, or are hotels the only game in town?
    "lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trial-sin View Post
    There's a handful of us driving down to Apalachicola, FL next weekend, and we're wanting to stop somewhere on the way to do some riding and camping. I'm interested in Coldwater as I was stationed at Fort McClellan a number of years ago, and I'm kind of fascinated to see the town rebooting with a recreational mindset.
    My one question is if there is nearby tent camping, or are hotels the only game in town?
    Not really, I guess the closest place would be somewhere in the nearby Talladega National Forest. The Victoria Inn is pretty cool and you may be able to finagle a special rate if you tell them you are a mtn biker.