mtbr member

Cohutta 100 / Big Frog 65

Anyone else sign up for one of these races? I've signed up for the Big Frog 65. First time I've ridden this course. Anyone ridden the area that can tell me what I might expect aside from tiring uphills and exhaustion?

DILLIGAF
    I am doing Cohutta 100 next year. I attempted the Big Frog 65 this year but the horrible conditions took me out about 30 miles in. It was so wet I had chain suck and broke my chain and DNF'ed. I have done 2 Black Bear Rampage races at the same location, which are 40 miles. The trails are great and the events are extremely well run. The thunder rock express downhill is freakin awesome, just watch for blind corners. Hoping for better weather! See you in the dirt.

mtbr member
    I DNF'd at the Fool's Gold 50/100 last year. Wasn't my day on the single speed. Trying to change to a 1x9 for the BF65. Looking forward to the challenge.

mtbr member

Re: Cohutta 100 / Big Frog 65

BF is approximately 15 miles of trail at the beginning and end with a 30 mile hilly gravel grinder in the middle. I did it 2 years ago when the weather was perfect. Might try again this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    The Tanasi system is fantastic. Mikes description is spot on. I would check out the Black bear rampage as well, for us it's one of the funnest races of the season. Good luck.
    Last edited by Orthoguy; 11-20-2013 at 07:57 AM.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Good to note. Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to the torture.

mtbr member
    I'll look it up now. Always trying to find new challenges.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Can anyone provide details as to how steep the climbs are on the big frog 65 course? I see they appear long but how steep do they get?

mtbr member
    You will be using your granny gear. At least I was when I did it 2 years ago. The climbs are not super long, but there are tons of them and they are plenty steep. Of course, I am of the clydesdalian build and think anything is steep.
    Last edited by mikeridesabike; 04-16-2014 at 06:02 AM.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The climbs on Big Frog loop will get your attention, especially coming back to the single track. It is a great area and the course is good when it's dry. Not so great when it's wet.

mtbr member
    At least the weather looks a little better this year, I did Cohutta last year and it was the coldest time I've ever had on a bike. This will be my 6th year for the 100 but my first time on a singlespeed fat bike, should be fun. Will need lots of beer Saturday night

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
    At least the weather looks a little better this year, I did Cohutta last year and it was the coldest time I've ever had on a bike. This will be my 6th year for the 100 but my first time on a singlespeed fat bike, should be fun. Will need lots of beer Saturday night
    pic of SS FAT BIKE, PLEASE!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    pic of SS FAT BIKE, PLEASE!!!
    Cohutta 100 / Big Frog 65-cohutta.jpg

Here's how it went:

After racing in the Masters class in the National Ultra Endurance Series for the last three years I thought I would try something different this year. “Different” is apparently defined in my lexicon as “lacking intelligence or common sense (synonyms: stupid, simpleminded, foolish). So that you understand, while this was my sixth time at Cohutta, I thought it would be a good idea to race my Carver Gnarvester (aka “harvester of Gnar”) in my first ever NUE single speed race. Close your eyes and imagine the Gnarvester… a rigid single speed with 3” wide 30.5” tires, the perfectly WRONG bike for the Cohutta 100 and its 13,700’ of climbing punctuated with a section of the course fittingly named “Death”.
    I began my three step preparation for my first 100 mile single speed race. Step one, I trimmed my full beard into tight goatee and long burns. Step two, after pouring a couple local microbrews, I mulled over my choices of gearing and finally step three, I test rode it at the hilliest trail in flat western Tennessee. Preparations made, I ignored the annoying little voice in the back of my head that kept reminding me that while no doubt, the facial hair was PERFECT, I just MAY have chosen too easy of a gear. Ignoring my intuition, I headed to east Tennessee where the hills are slightly larger.
    The race started at the beautiful Ocoee Whitewater Center where the ‘96 Olympic kayaking events were held. We headed up Highway 64 for three miles before turning into the first singletrack of the day. The gearing was perfect for that section and I was able to talk to several racers I haven’t seen since last year. I didn’t want to go too hard and suspected it would get a little harder later in the day.
    The awesome singletrack was over too soon and we headed out onto the meat of the course, the fire roads that would take us to down to Georgia where the Pinhoti Trail awaited us. I was starting to notice the other single speeders were spinning a little faster than I was going up the quickly steepening fire roads…I found this to be more than a little disconcerting. I was entering the section of the course named “Death”; from mile 23 to 48 we would climb 6,000’. Yeah, I sure enough had the wrong gear.
    I had to walk a couple of miles since my bird legs couldn’t push my perfectly wrong gear up the steeper pitches. Reality set in…I knew that this wasn’t the hardest part of the course. Experience reminded me that at mile 60 we started a six mile climb that starts at 1550’ of elevation and tops out at 3550’ without interruption. Shaking off my dread of things to come, I had a blast on the Pinhoti Trail and made up a few spots.
    Too soon, I found myself at mile 60, the beginning of the fun. I hooked up with another single speeder that had a gear similar to mine and we started hiking at 2.5 mph, I did a little mental math…”let’s see 2.5 mph for six miles will take how long to make one little hill?” When my pea brain finally came up with answer I quickly started looking for the big yellow school bus of shame to put me out of my misery, the one that had the awesome “Shredder” graffiti painted on the side of it. It never appeared.
    I found it amazing how much socializing I accomplished on my leisurely stroll up the mountain as I walked and rode and walked and walked … besides my fellow single speeder, I met some recreational riders that decided for some odd reason to walk with me. Later I talked to girl from Ohio that said she loved my bike (was it a coincidence that she rode for “Lady Gnar Shredders”??) All the while I enjoyed the awesome scenery and passed time swatting gnats that were circling my smelly helmet. I watched my Garmin and did more mental math…”hmmm, I’m at 2500’ now, the climb tops out at 3550’”… Mercifully I arrived at the top of the world as I knew it and started downhill.
    I’d ridden and walked 10,000’ of vertical now and at mile 65 a miraculous thing happened! I started riding my bike again and was no longer scanning the horizon for the “Shredder Bus of Shame”. The downhills were long, the climbs were short, the conversations were funny and the aid stations had Oreos! Life was good again with the exception of the bee that decided to take up residence inside my jersey on a 30 mph downhill and spur me on with adrenaline shots all the way down.
    After eleven hours and seven minutes I was at the finish line for a stellar 19th place in single speed and a mere 3 hours 18 minutes back from 1st. More important, in no time, I was replenishing my carbs with an ice cold Dale’s Pale Ale.
    It is interesting and necessary to note that this was a TOUGH race, probably the hardest 100 miler I’ve ever done. Remember, I’d raced Cohutta five times and the NUE series for three years, so I have more than a few under my belt. Making the switch to single speed coupled with an error in gearing judgment made this one a completely different experience. To be honest, the day after that race I would have GIVEN that bike away. Today I’m thinking about next year’s facial hair and maybe an easier gear.
    Awesome race, awesome support, I’ll be back for lucky #7.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the pic. Nice. I usually run a 32x20 in that area.