mtbr member
    May 2013

Cocoa, FL riding?

I'll be at the cape on business travel mid-June. I was wondering if there's any place to ride out there? Would also need to find a shop that rents. I figure I can remove the wheels and get the bike into the back seat of my rental, so no carrier needed.

Hi There!
    I'm a few hours south of there so not real familiar with the area. If you haven't looked at this yet, it has a map you can zoom in or out and it shows the trails closest to where you'll be and then you can read the reviews right below it.

Florida Mountain Bike Trails | Mountain biking in Florida || SINGLETRACKS.COM
    NTFTC

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Sad to say, but Cocoa Beach is about as bad as it gets for mountain biking. Nothing worth the hassle within a 45 minute drive, and you most likely wont be able to find a decent rental. If you are going to be around and have some days off you could drive over to Santos or Alafia/Boyette/Carter, great trails and rentals available. They are 1.5-2 hours from CB, traffic depending.
    "Listen here you beautiful *****, I'm about to **** you up with some truth"

mtbr member
    May 2013
    How bout between Cocoa and Ft Lauderdale? I'll be driving down there for a weekend.

Hi There!
    You could try Fort Pierce Bike Trail, haven't been there in a while. North of Fort Lauderdale is Quiet Waters Park in Deerfield Beach which is pretty good and there's bike rentals right across the street at Jim's Bikes. West of Fort Lauderdale proper is Markham Park which is known as the top trail in the area, not 100% sure of bike rentals near there, maybe Alex's Pro Bike Shop? Not the one in Parkland.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Chuck Lennon park in DeLeon Springs is a bit of a drive from cocoa but man is it fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Gft.

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by schmitty8225 View Post
    Gft.
    This. Not sure about rentals but the Grapefruit trail in Palm Bay is 25 minutes from Cocoa beach and is absolutely worth checking out. There is a flowly single track loop that is short but sweet as well as a nice mix of bi-passable jumps and drops. There is also a well maintained dirtjump line. While other options mentioned in this thread are good, they are nowhere near as close to Cocoa.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    There is no way anyone is getting from Cocoa Beach to GFT in 25 minutes unless they are going 120 and get every green light. While the trail is fun if you are in town it's a little short of going through the hassle of finding somewhere in Brevard to rent a decent MTB and then drive 45 minutes to ride a 1.5 mile loop. The jumps are a little more than most riders would hit. Snowhill would be a much better choice over GFT, but there is still the rental issue.

Ft Pierce is good, but the rental thing...

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321 View Post
    There is no way anyone is getting from Cocoa Beach to GFT in 25 minutes unless they are going 120 and get every green light. While the trail is fun if you are in town it's a little short of going through the hassle of finding somewhere in Brevard to rent a decent MTB and then drive 45 minutes to ride a 1.5 mile loop. The jumps are a little more than most riders would hit. Snowhill would be a much better choice over GFT, but there is still the rental issue.

Ft Pierce is good, but the rental thing...
    Really Acme??? Cocoa (ok sorry not the beech) is 27 miles from Palm Bay. If you think Snowhill is a better choice from CB than GTF, I have to say I sorely disagree. Its twice as far at least and nowhere near as fun... But that's just my .02
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjudy13 View Post
    Really Acme??? Cocoa (ok sorry not the beech) is 27 miles from Palm Bay. If you think Snowhill is a better choice from CB than GTF, I have to say I sorely disagree. Its twice as far at least and nowhere near as fun... But that's just my .02
    Have to agree with Acme….20 miles of cool XC with tremendous natural variety @ Snowhill, maybe 1 mile of sorta XC with drops/jumps @ GFT. That said, both trails have received a ton of rain in the last 2 days, so river section (best part) @ Snowhill will be mud, but ya still got about 12 miles there which are rideable. GFT will likely be closed for several days, as it is super-slick when wet. I would go a little further west and hit Santos (Ocala). I was there last weekend and the trails were in great shape and you can rent from a couple shops right across from trail head. Blues and yellows drain super-well and I've ridden them in the rain. The reds shut down as they are clayish and also get very slippery when wet, but there is plenty there to ride.
    Oh, Ft P (my home trail is riding nice), but will probably be closed 1 or 2 days as well now to dry out,

Trailhead Poseur
    I was just at Snowhill today (it's my home trail) and conditions were great. The river is starting to come up, but there's no flooding and the trails are still rideable. Perfect, actually. Just the right amount of moisture to keep the sugar sand packed.

I'll see how the river holds over the next couple of days. The river normally peaks a day or two after a storm.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjudy13 View Post

I get it. It's more fun, if you are into jumping. If not it's a mile roundy round. You could mix it in with Turkey Creek to get some miles in (I do), but he'd probably get lost in the scrub. For 98% of the riders on this site Snowhill would be a better choice for an out of town visitor. The guy is going to have to rent a bike either way, and that's going to make riding either of these next to impossible.