mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New question here. Cloudland Stataion / Chicamunga GA help

I am going to be in N. GA for a family trip. I am bringing my bike hoping to hit some good mtb trails. Last year I got to ride Chicopee Woods and Fort Yargo. I really really liked Chicopee Woods; I was planning on hitting it this trip too, but I just found out we are going to be staying in Cloudland Station in Chicamunga, GA. Looks like there is a trail on the property that is a black diamond rating, however the reviews draw a different picture. Five points trail looks pretty good by the reviews and close too. Less driving to get to the trail better.

mtbr member
    I've never been to either the places you've mentioned, but you're only about 40 minutes from Raccoon Mtn just outside Chattanooga. The trails there are pretty good. I enjoyed them more than Chiccopee or Ft. Yargo (though both CW and Ft Yargo are great trails). The last time I rode there the loop was about 20 miles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The trails at Five Points are a lot of fun and remind me of the blue trails at Santos just with more climbing. The black diamond trail is more like the red trails at Santos, meaning it is very tight and twisty with some short steep sections. We saw a family with kids from about 7 to 12 years old riding the black diamond trail with no issues.

When we go to Chattanooga to ride we typically prefer Raccoon Mt. over Five Points. The trails at Raccoon have more rocky sections and are a little more challenging than the trails at Five Points. However, both are family friendly, in my opinion.

mtbr member
    As above. Five Points is certainly worth riding. Plenty of trail for all skil levels. I also view the overall trail system as a blue (intermediate) although there are a couple miles I have not been on. I recall only one technically challenging section on the 'diamond' trails I did go on. Beware Fugget Lift and Crosscut. The climbing goes on for awhile on those, but they are good trails to pay your dues with. Worthwhile rewards await. Take 'Hanging Wall' down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the info guys. Anyone ride the "cloudland connector trail". That is the trail that shows black diamond on singletracks.com, but reviews make is sound more like just a fire road. Anybody have a real drive time from cloundland station to five points, and is it a well marked trail. Riding solo I don't want to get lost in the woods. I almost got lost my second trip to chicopee. Some trail runners hooked me up with the right way out other wise I might still be there. F

mtbr member
    I've never ridden the connector.

Here's the map:
    http://sorbachattanooga.org/wordpres...s-Map-V2.1.pdf

Several 'expert' trails to ride within Five Points.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I rode a part of 5-points this weekend for the first time. Definitely a lot of fun and I would recommend it to anyone visiting the greater Chattanooga area. I rode Bella, Torino Hill, Caprock, Hanging Wall, Kettlebottom, Tailings and a couple of others that I can't remember right now. I picked up a part of the Cloudland Connector Trail from the bottom of Caprock (near the Ascalaon Road Horse Trailer Lot) back to the een the 5-Points trailhead and on to Hanging Wall.

In my version of black-diamond, there was absolutely nothing black diamond along the CCT. The CCT was generally very smooth; the only warning I would offer is that the climb fom 5-points to the top of Hanging Wall was long.

Caprock was fun, but had a rock garden at the end of fast, flow section that had me throwoing a yard sale. Other than that, some narrow trail sections on Hanging Wall and a tight turn were about the only things that I would say are were cause for some caution.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have only ridden there once. I rode the connector trail out and back and all of Five Points. Ride the connector. I loved it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I will be at cloudland station, Can I ride right from there to Five points via connector trail, or do I have to drive to the TH?

mtbr member
    If you haven't done your trip yet, I also recommend White Oak Mountain in Collegedale. It's on the campus of SAU. Also Raccoon is an option. WOM is a true hidden gem. About 20minutes up i75 from where you will be staying (exit 9 I75). About 17 miles of everything, but mostly well groomed machine built trails. Most locals say its the best riding in area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just got back. Five points was flipping awesome! Unfortunately I only got to ride it once and when I got back to ATL we got stuck with non-stop rain so I didn't get to ride Harbins Park which is only a few minutes from where I was staying. Stuck sitting in the house watching the rain. Fun with family, too many good IPA's around to complain , but no more riding.

mtbr member
    Glad you enjoyed 5 points...it is a great intermediate system. When you get a chance to ride it again park at the Longbranch trail head which adds about 5.5 miles to 5 points and a total of 11 out and back. This will increase your mileage and will add some tough climbs. The longbranch section is the black diamond part they are referring to. I helped build 5 points and we are very proud of all our trail systems in the Chattanooga area. Raccoon, wom, booker t, and the pinhoti are also worth visiting. When you come back get ChattanoogaSorba facebook page and maybe some locals can lead you around.
    Too wet to ride!